MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Harvey ideas?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am 
General Manager

Chin Music wrote:
Hilltop wrote:
A pretty nice start by Harvey. Didn’t see how many swinging strikes but the 5 Ks isn’t too shabby considering how he wasn’t missing bats previously. I firmly believe now that Harvey intentionally pitched his way off the Mets once he was relegated to the pen. Heck of a gamble.

What was his reason for sucking as a starter here?

That he didn’t care?

Yes he did have legit injuries but it’s sure gonna look bad on SOMEONE if Harvey all of a sudden goes back to being a top of the rotation guy. If it was just one pitching coach and manager I’d say it was on us. But two different pitching coaches and managers getting the same crap results here leads me more to believe the problem was the other end of the equation.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:42 am 
All Star

Harvey is a ___ He quit on the Mets. I'm not wishing him well. He doesn't deserve it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

AllWrightNow wrote:
Chin Music wrote:
Hilltop wrote:
A pretty nice start by Harvey. Didn’t see how many swinging strikes but the 5 Ks isn’t too shabby considering how he wasn’t missing bats previously. I firmly believe now that Harvey intentionally pitched his way off the Mets once he was relegated to the pen. Heck of a gamble.

What was his reason for sucking as a starter here?

That he didn’t care?

Yes he did have legit injuries but it’s sure gonna look bad on SOMEONE if Harvey all of a sudden goes back to being a top of the rotation guy. If it was just one pitching coach and manager I’d say it was on us. But two different pitching coaches and managers getting the same crap results here leads me more to believe the problem was the other end of the equation.

This is kind of what I meant.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Sometimes guys need changes of scenery. No tabloids in Cincy, not as much pressure to be the CY he once was, etc. I think he was just done here.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:09 pm 
Franchise Player

Good for Harvey. I hope he can find his way to being a successful MLB pitcher again. But just like when you make a lot of choices in life, make it and don't look back.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:47 pm 
General Manager

hotlyds87 wrote:
Sometimes guys need changes of scenery. No tabloids in Cincy, not as much pressure to be the CY he once was, etc. I think he was just done here.

He wasn't the BMOC here anymore, that was part of his problem IMO...his ego couldn't handle the fact deGrom and Thor passed him in terms of popularity and effectiveness.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Harvey is a ___ He quit on the Mets. I'm not wishing him well. He doesn't deserve it.

I don't think it's quite that simple. He wanted to start. I think the change of scenery is part of it, but it's also an easier situation.

Mets are trying to win, Harvey was in a position to lose his job and that's what happened. Can't blame the mets for that.

He comes to Cincy, the coach tells him, we just want you to relax and see what you ca do. We're not trying to win anything this year, so just pitch and he pitches a little better. His first start, 55 pitches, 4 solid innings. His 2nd start, 75 pitches, kinda ugly and his 3rd start was good and 95 pitches. Jury's still out of he's recovered after 1 nice start against pittsburgh hitters but Cincy can give him something the mets couldn't. No pressure.

I get it. It would sting if he turns back into 3 ERA, 3-4 war pitcher, but I don't think anyone thought he was going to do that here. I don't think he quit on the mets either. Pitching is very mental.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 pm 
Rookie

I've never seen an undeserving athlete embrace celebrity as much as Harvey.

He was only tolerable when he was good.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Chin Music wrote:

But the thing is, he was deserving for those first 3 years. It’s easy to forget because it was so long ago at this point, but he was electric. Truly must see tv on those days he pitched.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hilltop wrote:
Chin Music wrote:

But the thing is, he was deserving for those first 3 years. It’s easy to forget because it was so long ago at this point, but he was electric. Truly must see tv on those days he pitched.

I agree. As good as Thor or deGrom have been, I think Harvey was a hair better pre injury. He was great fun to watch and star power rises very quickly. He was a legit star.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 am 
NYFS Staff

He was dominant. He toyed with hitters at his best.

He needs to become a smarter pitcher at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11