MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you do to spark the Mets (5-7-18 version)?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am 
Franchise Player

I think your suggestions should be within the limits of reality:

- Not a ton of money added to the books.
- Think of 40-man impacts.
- Think of reasonable deals (if any).

Here's my crack at it:

1. Pray Cespedes and deGrom are fine.
2. Give Rosario a couple of weeks in the minors to learn how to take some pitches.
3. Promote Guillorme.
4. Cut Reyes.
5. Promote Cecchini.
6. Trade Nido, Bautista, Flexen for Wellington Castillo (tell me if I'm off here). Only adds prorated $7.5M for this year and the full amount next year.
7. Use Bruce more at 1B.

vs. righties:
Nimmo RF/Conforto CF
Cabrera 2B
Cespedes LF
Bruce 1B/RF
Frazier 3B
Conforto CF/Gonzo 1B
Castillo C
P
Guillorme SS

vs. lefties:
Cabrera 2B
Flores 1B
Cespedes LF
Frazier 3B
Bruce RF
Castillo C
Lagares CF
Guillorme SS
P

Post subject: Re: What would you do to spark the Mets (5-7-18 version)?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

If they did that for Wellington Castillo after passing on him for his modest price (less than Vargas) + passing on Lucory (cost of Harvey), I mean...

I think Nido is a total NP. I've used the Jose Molina comp a bunch. Its a guy who will play for a while but never really impact you one way or another and you pray you never use him much. So I'd just try to see if a bad team wants to take him on for a vet catcher where you assume the contract. That made sense re: Ramos a few weeks back but he's caught fire and they have been winning so they probably hold him for now.

They're not going to make trades; thats not this groups style. If we get demotions, they'll be the style of 2013 where its less about who's coming up and more about who's going down. There's just not any real impact talent waiting in AAA thats going to turn this thing around. You bring up Guillorme for the glove, not bat, and they'll argue Rosario's glove has been fine (which is true - it just hasnt' been any better than that, despite advertisements of "gold glove" lol).

The 2 areas I can see them making a shakeup are Reyes and Gonzalez. They have little money committed to either, neither is performing and while when things are going well they are "veteran leaders" there is plenty of rumors to the contrary when things aren't going well. If you bring up Cheech/Guillorme and Alonso, not sure if that completely shifts anything, but it at least adds a little youth to this roster, which looks old, slow and listless right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 am 
Franchise Player

I did say to try to stay close to reality, but I broke that rule a little for the Wellington trade. I also agree they would have been better off signing him.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:00 am 
Practically A Wilpon

I'm honestly not sure there is much that can be done except try to weather the storm. The one thing I might do is play Bruce at 1st almost exclusively and go with an OF of Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo, while batting Nimmo leadoff. Though he has cooled off recently as well along with the entire team outside of Frazier.

I am not sure sending Rosario down will accomplish anything. He needs to see ML pitching, not AAA pitching in Vegas of all places. I would cut Reyes just because he doesn't add anything, even speed nowadays, and can easily be replaced with Guillorme or Cecchini. It should be noted though that Guillorme has struggled at AAA so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am 
Legend of NYFS

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:

Here's my crack at it:

2. Give Rosario a couple of weeks in the minors to learn how to take some pitches.
3. Promote Guillorme.
4. Cut Reyes.
5. Promote Cecchini.
6. Trade Nido, Bautista, Flexen for Wellington Castillo (tell me if I'm off here). Only adds prorated $7.5M for this year and the full amount next year.
7. Use Bruce more at 1B.

I think you're not far off (tho WellyCastillo deal won't happen) but this all is about another month from happening. They are most likely rationalizing that regression to the norm will come for the lineup and they are happy about positive steps they see from Matz and Wheeler. And they will be patient for the returns of Plaw and Swarzak. Possibly sooner than that I could see brief Vegas stints for both Rosario and Scooter to work out their issues with Cheech or Guillorme for AmRo and Evans for Conforto, hoping to get a little punch in the short term plus get both fixed at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:07 am 
Franchise Player

Rosario: You could always send him to Bingo if you're worried about Vegas. I just want him to take every pitch for two weeks. Watch the release points, rotations, and where the ball ends up.

Guillorme: He had a slow start, but he's been improving. He's got that K rate down to 20% and his walk rate is almost 14% (.375 OBP). Batting .406 in his last 10 games.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

More I think about it, I could see Cheech come up for Rosario. They will say it's just temporary while Ro works out his issues which they will 'not consider serious' and when he returns in a few weeks they will DFA Reyes and keep Cheech up.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Here's my crack at it:

3. Promote Guillorme.
4. Cut Reyes.
5. Promote Cecchini.
7. Use Bruce more at 1B.

I think you're not far off (tho WellyCastillo deal won't happen) but this all is about another month from happening. They are most likely rationalizing that regression to the norm will come for the lineup and they are happy about positive steps they see from Matz and Wheeler. And they will be patient for the returns of Plaw and Swarzak. Possibly sooner than that I could see brief Vegas stints for both Rosario and Scooter to work out their issues with Cheech or Guillorme for AmRo and Evans for Conforto, hoping to get a little punch in the short term plus get both fixed at the same time.

I know its the #Brand, but the Evans thing has to stop. He's got 600 Vegas PA's now with a 94ish wRC+, which basically mirrors his career other than the 2016 Bingo blip, and he's not playing any OF. He's not getting brought up to "get some punch" in the short term over Conforto. C'mon.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 am 
Practically A Wilpon

Catcher has been a black hole for 10 years. I would do everything I can to get Realmuto. If that means 1 of Conforto or Nimmo are included in the deal, so be it. Maybe lessen the rest of the prospect blow by taking on all of Chen's remaining salary.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

Meanwhile I will continue to say that it would be out character for this FO to pull the plug this soon on AGone. They don't normally admit mistakes so quickly and are likely to give it more time to work out. On top of the fact that Conforto is hurting them much more right now. But I'm sure the drum will be beat any time AG goes hitless with only a reprieve when he's productive.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:23 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Here's my crack at it:

3. Promote Guillorme.
4. Cut Reyes.
5. Promote Cecchini.
7. Use Bruce more at 1B.

I know its the #Brand, but the Evans thing has to stop. He's got 600 Vegas PA's now with a 94ish wRC+, which basically mirrors his career other than the 2016 Bingo blip, and he's not playing any OF. He's not getting brought up to "get some punch" in the short term over Conforto. C'mon.

It's hardly relevant. The playing time will go to Nimmo. I just used him as 'player on 40.'. That said, a monkey probably provides some punch over Scooter right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
Catcher has been a black hole for 10 years. I would do everything I can to get Realmuto. If that means 1 of Conforto or Nimmo are included in the deal, so be it. Maybe lessen the rest of the prospect blow by taking on all of Chen's remaining salary.

This sounds great. IN reality, I expect TdA and Plaw to be the Mets duo, with standard winter fluff pieces, until they both retire in 2028.