MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alonso watch thread
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah, the idea that this team would promote Alonso with <50 minor league games above A+ is not realistic when they have someone they would consider more ready and seasoned. All that said, there doesn't seem to be any need any time soon so it's a moot conversation.

This is a situation that will be resolved before next season. I would expect Dom to be used as a chip in July if the Mets are in buy-mode. Hopefully he gets hot before then. Not that he's going to return a lot on his own but if they feel Alonso is definitely the goods, then they're going to have to clear the deck for him, and neither guy can play anywhere else beside 1B.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am 
Everyday Player

R Nitelight wrote:
People do like their shiny new objects. Guys who don't play are always better than the guys who do.

Smith is a bust. Rosario is a bust. And if Alfonso ever struggles we can start the Jeremy Vasquez hype.

8)

This is a really bad take. I understand it's rooted in some truth considering, yes, there are some people already giving up on Rosario, but lumping in everyone who thinks Alonso (stop badly trolling and spell his name right; I know you know it) is better than Dom as reactionary is insane. Stop it with the strawmen.

Alonso, for those who follow the minors closely, isn't really a new shiny object. He was really good last year, too, and has been even better this year. He also has way more margin for error in his profile than Dom because, unlike Dom's contact-oriented profile, Alonso has 70 raw power and has hit 34 HRs in 590 PAs so far in the minors in fairly neutral leagues (all while hitting over .300 and maintaining a K% under 20%).

The gap in minor league performance is gigantic. Dom has never performed the way Alonso has. Age relative to league isn't even really an excuse for Dom anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am 
Everyday Player

Alonso has slightly more experience in AA than Conforto did at this point, and Alonso has performed considerably better. I don't think it would be totally unreasonable to call up Alonso right now, although I would wait until around July.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am 
MVP

Hot Takes wrote:
Alonso has slightly more experience in AA than Conforto did at this point, and Alonso has performed considerably better. I don't think it would be totally unreasonable to call up Alonso right now, although I would wait until around July.

I think this is a reasonable thought.

But I think Smith is still ahead of him on the depth chart, and Gonzalez is holding on to the job.

Alonso won't be a game changer this season, so stick with what you have and let him develop.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am 
Everyday Player

Biggest hurdle for Alonso and getting playing time this year, is, yeah, that there are already two 1B-only guys on the 40 and I don't see us holding three of those guys at one time. So Alonso's first crack at the majors is likely going to be around the deadline if we deal Dom if we're buying or cut bait with AGon if we're selling and want to play the kids.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am 
Everyday Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

I think this is a reasonable thought.

But I think Smith is still ahead of him on the depth chart, and Gonzalez is holding on to the job.

Alonso won't be a game changer this season, so stick with what you have and let him develop.

Dom is ahead of Alonso on the depth chart in that if there's a small window of playing time, and say, AGon pulls his hammy or something else relatively minor, Dom would get a call before Alonso.

But if something major to happen and we needed a 1B for the rest of the season I'd bet Alonso would get a call before Dom. In a serious situation we'd probably be willing to clear some 40 space.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:

The Mets needed Conforto in 2015. There is no hot need at 1B now, even tho people have been pining for AG's crash and burn for weeks.

And despite the giddiness over what Pete Alonso is doing in the EL, it's still not likely he would be a net plus supplanting whatever the Mets currently have at 1B given there is almost always an adjustment period. So without a reason to make such a move, (AG real crash or injury), they will almost certainly opt to marinate Alonso further. I'm sure they see no downside to going that route. None of which is to mention that ideally they'll push him off until late April next season to buy the extra control.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am 
Blue Chipper

R Nitelight wrote:
People do like their shiny new objects. Guys who don't play are always better than the guys who do.

Smith is a bust. Rosario is a bust. And if Alfonso ever struggles we can start the Jeremy Vasquez hype.

8)

So should we discard negative evidence about a players ability to produce at the big leagues?

No one is calling Smith a bust yet. But 200 PA appearances of below 200 ball for a supposed pure hitter is a negative that should reduce his standing as a prospect.

Do you, for example, think that his trade value now is as high as it was a year ago at this time?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

Chin Music wrote:
Do you, for example, think that his trade value now is as high as it was a year ago at this time?

No.

But Alonso's is.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 am 
Blue Chipper

R Nitelight wrote:
Chin Music wrote:

No.

But Alonso's is.

8)

That's your opinion stated as fact.

How many PAs of 1.200 OPS does Alonso need to move the needle up from last year?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 am 
MVP

Chin Music wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
Chin Music wrote:

No.

But Alonso's is.

8)

That's your opinion stated as fact.

How many PAs of 1.200 OPS does Alonso need to move the needle up from last year?

I don't think you got his point.

I think he was saying that the prospects we don't know (Alonso) seem more valuable than the ones we do know (Smith), and that their value decreases once we know them.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Hot Takes wrote:

Not that this should necesarily be taken into account with a promotion of Alonzo.

But if you did jump him over Smith I think you really diminish Dom's value in a trade.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next