MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alonso watch thread
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:09 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

What are Nimmo’s numbers if you take out his best games?

What were Dom’s Numbers last year if you took out his best 3 games?

That’s completely unfair to any player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm 
MVP

TomInNC wrote:
What are Nimmo’s numbers if you take out his best games?

What were Dom’s Numbers last year if you took out his best 3 games?

That’s completely unfair to any player

Actually it's not unfair. We are 47 games into the season. If you take out a hitters 3 best games and there is nothing else to show for those other 44 games, that's pretty much solid evidence that the player is not contributing.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

Take out Nimmo’s 3 best games and he’s at .205.

And slugging goes from .511 to .320

Isn’t this fun?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:47 pm 
MVP

TomInNC wrote:
Take out Nimmo’s 3 best games and he’s at .205.

And slugging goes from .511 to .320

Isn’t this fun?

Nimmo only started approximatly 25 games though. He was either a pitch hitter in the other games or sent to Vegas. And besides, we can't replace Nimmo with a better option now. The only spot the Mets could potentially upgrade is first base.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Nimmo's best game also isn't contingent on his ability to do 1 thing.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:54 pm 

I’m just pointing out that cherry picking games to not count makes for a poor argument. The results are what they are.

Also making guesses as to how totally unproven players may perform in their first major league experience is also unfair.

It’s wishful thinking by fans which is not the way to run a team.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:05 pm 
General Manager

What if you take out deGrom's best games where he's allowed 1 or less runs? Does he suck too?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 pm 
Veteran Presence

TomInNC wrote:
I’m just pointing out that cherry picking games to not count makes for a poor argument. The results are what they are.

Agreed. There is no need to cherry pick with AGon when the entirety of his body of work this season, good games and bad, has been worth 0.2 WAR. He is completely mediocre and replaceable and if his replacement ends up being worth 0.0 WAR it will have a negligible, if not completely meaningless, impact on the success or failure of the ball club overall--HeyNowHK has basically said this very thing himself when he alluded to the team's success hinging on guys like Frazier and Cespedes coming back and hitting.

Quote:
Also making guesses as to how totally unproven players may perform in their first major league experience is also unfair.

I agree again! Which is why it makes sense to let those players prove themselves, or not, by giving them playing time at positions where the already-struggling big league club is currently getting sub-par production.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm 

Juice, for the record I’m perfectly ok if the Mets decide to bring up Dom. But it’s not something a contender is likely to do. And expecting them to jump Alonso over Smith at this time is unrealistic.

There’s a better chance of a move after the vets come back and Agon becomes a non contributor.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:55 pm 
NYFS Staff

They saved money by going after second tier guys, rather than trust the process of development, and are paying for it in performance, money absorption and blockage... They get a win on Cabrera. I liked the Frazier signing. I am pretty sure I called for Frazier/Reed instead of Bruce...

Vargas, Bruce (though it is early), Reyes, Gonzalez (sorry, he has not been good despite the OPS), Swarzak (though he may come back like gangbusters).

I don't blame them for Harvey....at least he turned into Mesoraco. I don't blame them for Ramos (who would know he'd forget how to pitch).

However, a Wilmer/Dom combo, Nimmo/Lagares, Conforto, Cespedes combination was fine.

They tried to hedge their bets on multiple positions and are biting it as a result.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 pm 

You mean the Nimmo, slumping most of the year Conforto, striking out constantly and now hurt Cespedes and hurt Lagares OF?

And our IF really wouldn’t be any different no matter how often people disregard AGons ops.

I’ll give you Vargas as a bad decision

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:56 pm 
MVP

TomInNC wrote:
You mean the Nimmo, slumping most of the year Conforto, striking out constantly and now hurt Cespedes and hurt Lagares OF?

And our IF really wouldn’t be any different no matter how often people disregard AGons ops.

I’ll give you Vargas as a bad decision

The Mets had a choice of either Jason Vargas (the soft tossing crafty lefty who relies on his wits to get outs) or Miles Mikolas a guy who is topping out at 96 but hasn't pitched in the US for years. As usual the Cardinals took a chance and are reaping the rewards and the Mets played it safe and are stuck with a bad pitcher for 2 years. Its time to fire Sandy. He just has more failures than successes and its time to move on before he totally cripples the franchise (if he hasn't already).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next