MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alonso watch thread
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
The situation in New York is that we have 30 left-handed hitting outfielders, and no right-handed hitting outfielders.

This does absolutely nothing for the present nor for the future.

8)

Not nothing.

Bruce, Nimmo & Conforto are lefties. Cespedes is a righty. Sure, if Dom was a righty he'd be a better fit, but 4th/5th OFs still play. Guys miss time and/or need days off. Dom also gives us something that most teams don't have, a potentially dangerous lefty bat off the bench, and, while his glove wasn't good last year, he's supposed to have a good glove so he can fill in as a defensive replacement for Alonso.

It's not nothing if Dom can play some OF, it's actually an avenue to carry him on the roster where he'd strengthen the bench and get a start or two a week. In the long run I think he gets traded, but for the next couple years he can fill in as a bench role.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 am 
Blue Chipper

R Nitelight wrote:
The situation in New York is that we have 30 left-handed hitting outfielders, and no right-handed hitting outfielders.

This does absolutely nothing for the present nor for the future.

8)

Situations change.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am 
Manager

R Nitelight wrote:
The situation in New York is that we have 30 left-handed hitting outfielders

I don't think we have 5 outfileders.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 am 
MVP

Metsfan980 wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:
Be patient with Smith in AAA, and it's still a pretty decent chance he might be a starting MLB first baseman two years from now. But it's fair to suggest that Alonso might be the better choice if you need one this year.

No need to make any long term decisions between the two, though. Smith won't be out of options until 2021. And these are two guys who could platoon at some point, if needed, as well.

Alonso has the higher ceiling.

Smith is the guy you turn to if you need somebody in 2018.

I'm not sure this is the case. In 2018, I think it's a lot easier for a right handed hitter to adjust to the majors than a lefty. Especially, a lefty with no speed like Smith. I can really see Smith having a tough time when he comes to the plate and 7 fielders are all standing on the right side of the field because of the shift.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm 
MVP

piazzafan wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:
Be patient with Smith in AAA, and it's still a pretty decent chance he might be a starting MLB first baseman two years from now. But it's fair to suggest that Alonso might be the better choice if you need one this year.

No need to make any long term decisions between the two, though. Smith won't be out of options until 2021. And these are two guys who could platoon at some point, if needed, as well.

Alonso has the higher ceiling.

Smith is the guy you turn to if you need somebody in 2018.

I'm not sure this is the case. In 2018, I think it's a lot easier for a right handed hitter to adjust to the majors than a lefty. Especially, a lefty with no speed like Smith. I can really see Smith having a tough time when he comes to the plate and 7 fielders are all standing on the right side of the field because of the shift.

Teams are shifting RHB more and more now too.

I don't think that factor alone hurts development of young players.

Smith has faced and adjusted to better pitchers than Alonso. He's better prepared to take over 1B right now if the Mets needed a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:55 pm 
All Star

acerimusdux wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
The situation in New York is that we have 30 left-handed hitting outfielders

I don't think we have 5 outfileders.

Don't forget MDD is tearing it up in LV (so glad we're leaving LV)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:21 am 
Blue Chipper

http://www.wbng.com/story/38254359/pete ... o-flushing

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 am 
Blue Chipper

Alonso @ AA: 23 Years old, 151 AB, 1.101 OPS
Conforto @ AA: 22 years old, 173 AB, .899 OPS

I don't know why we shouldnt see Alonso sooner than later, based on the most recent closest precedent.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

You can debate Smith and Alonso ad nausium but the fact is we're almost a third of the way through the season and we haven't learned a thing about either of them.

It's faint praise to say that Gonzalez has been not terrible, but that seems to be where the bar is set for Met first basemen. You can keep running him out there, but you learn nothing. You're never going to have a better opportunity to evaluate Smith at the Major League level and bump Alonso to the Pinball PCL.

If not now, then when?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:

If not now, then when?

8)

After super two ofcourse. Set your clocks by it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

If not now, then when?

8)

Super two has quite literally nothing to do with Smith, which is who Nitey is suggesting we start.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

If not now, then when?

8)

Super two has quite literally nothing to do with Smith, which is who Nitey is suggesting we start.

They're only going to call one of them up between now and September, unless they get really desperate in the OF and think Smith can play there.

But you're right. Smith is Super two plus 30 days or so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next