MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alonso watch thread
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:21 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:
You can debate Smith and Alonso ad nausium but the fact is we're almost a third of the way through the season and we haven't learned a thing about either of them.

It's faint praise to say that Gonzalez has been not terrible, but that seems to be where the bar is set for Met first basemen. You can keep running him out there, but you learn nothing. You're never going to have a better opportunity to evaluate Smith at the Major League level and bump Alonso to the Pinball PCL.

If not now, then when?

8)

I still have no idea why you are suggesting bringing up Smith over Alonso, who, right now is a better prospect than Smith has ever been.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
But you're right. Smith is Super two plus 30 days or so.

That's not how this works. It's based on service time. Smith was up for 49 games last season, which counts towards his service time. The fact that he was up earlier this year for a day only adds a day to that. Alonso could also be brought up for a day now and then come up to stick in June and it would only add a day. The idea of holding guys back is that the guys you do it with are elite enough that they're likely to be in the top 22% of their arbitration class and might end up being eligible after two years rather than three as a result. Smith already has almost two months of service time, so when they call him up is irrelevant unless they want to hold him back until September to avoid Super 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

That's not how this works. It's based on service time. Smith was up for 49 games last season, which counts towards his service time. The fact that he was up earlier this year for a day only adds a day to that. Alonso could also be brought up for a day now and then come up to stick in June and it would only add a day. The idea of holding guys back is that the guys you do it with are elite enough that they're likely to be in the top 22% of their arbitration class and might end up being eligible after two years rather than three as a result. Smith already has almost two months of service time, so when they call him up is irrelevant unless they want to hold him back until September to avoid Super 2.

You're right. I didn't realize Smith was up for 49 days last year. For some reason I was thinking it was closer to 30 but it seems he came up after the trades (walker trade?). Anyhoo, he's now at 0.52 per baseball ref.

In Alonso's case, there's still some tricky questions there because his glove might hurt the team almost as much as his bat helps and he doesn't have to be added to the roster this November, so they might just want to push him back to next year. But if they're in the playoff hunt, I think they have to consider Alonso for this season, but I could also see them waiting for Super two.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm 
NYFS Staff

I think what Nitey is saying, and he can correct me, is you see what Smith has for the remainder of the year, while Alonso tears up the PCL. If Smith founders this year, Alonso and Vazquez are a step closer (assuming they bump him up a level).

On the other hand, a bottleneck created by a mediocre AGonz puts development back a year. I almost guarantee Smith and Alonso would replicate the production and exceed it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

What is so hard to follow about this? AGone/Flores this year and Alonso next yr if all goes right. Dom is their biggest chip if they're buyers. Otherwise they can hang on and he would most likely just be a chip to cash in over the winter. Can't play two 1Bmen at the same time. i know Dom in RF is a nice story at the moment but not only is the OF already crowded but he's not going to be an OFer.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:19 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
What is so hard to follow about this? AGone/Flores this year and Alonso next yr if all goes right. Dom is their biggest chip if they're buyers. Otherwise they can hang on and he would most likely just be a chip to cash in over the winter. Can't play two 1Bmen at the same time. i know Dom in RF is a nice story at the moment but not only is the OF already crowded but he's not going to be an OFer.

Alonso is crushing it. Lets see where he ends up by the end of June/mid July. The point is Gonzalez has had three huge games and a lot of mediocre ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 pm 
Rookie

jdawginsc wrote:
I think what Nitey is saying, and he can correct me, is you see what Smith has for the remainder of the year, while Alonso tears up the PCL. If Smith founders this year, Alonso and Vazquez are a step closer (assuming they bump him up a level).

On the other hand, a bottleneck created by a mediocre AGonz puts development back a year. I almost guarantee Smith and Alonso would replicate the production and exceed it.

I think that's overthinking it. You've got a college player who looks like he's going to be a very good hitter and is at the same stage where other really good hitter out of college get promoted to the bigs. Plus, this team is over 500 and could use another big bat and generally a spark in a big way.

Holding that up because you want to see what Smith, who has never shown as much Alonso is showing now, seems pretty senseless to me. And therefore probably exactly what the Mets will do.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 am 
Legend of NYFS

Nitey is also saying that Smith is a better baseball player than Alonso.

But if you loved Lucas Duda you'll certainly love his righty clone.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 am 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Based on what though? Smith is 1st basement without power who has only slugged close to 500 once and that was in the LV bandbox, a feet he's not even able to replicate this season. He's 6' so his power projectability is naturally limited. Furthermore, he's not even that great of a pure hitter nor an especially patient one. And finally, when given a big league chance he fell flat on his face with enough ABs that he can no longer qualify for ROY.

His biggest advantage over Alonso is his defense but it's at one of the positions where defense is least important.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 am 
General Manager

Chin Music wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Based on what though? Smith is 1st basement without power who has only slugged close to 500 once and that was in the LV bandbox, a feet he's not even able to replicate this season. He's 6' so his power projectability is naturally limited. Furthermore, he's not even that great of a pure hitter nor an especially patient one. And finally, when given a big league chance he fell flat on his face with enough ABs that he can no longer qualify for ROY.

His biggest advantage over Alonso is his defense but it's at one of the positions where defense is least important.

Don't bother asking. Will just make another statement without backup to support it. Not worth your time.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:

Don't bother asking. Will just make another statement without backup to support it. Not worth your time.

1st Round pick. Career .300 hitter playing mostly against older players. All Star at every level. MVP of the Florida State League. Already Major League tested.

Other than that.....

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am 
Rookie

So what if he is a 1st round pick?

To me that’s meaningless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next