Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Dog wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:Bruce is going to play. Might as well hope he doesn't stink.


8)


If it is Nimmo, Conforto, Bruce in the outfield, then obviously you hope he is healthy and productive. It is not good defensively, but not horrific either.

First base in a platoon with Smith and Wilmer makes sense...to everyone but the Mets who will attempt to sign another cheap reclamation corner project.

Second, Short and third seem to be covered.

Catcher, pen, trading Vargas in that order.

Too bad Marwin can't play center...

My prediction: Lucroy, Matt Adams, Jeurys Familia and Sergio Romo...because they cannot help themselves...


With Dom, Bruce, Alonso knocking on the door, Wilmer, maybe Wright, maybe Frazier, I can't see the Mets signing Matt Adams with him being a liability in the OF.


I hope it is incorrect...I was joking...mostly.

They'll count Wright's retirement as an expense toward payroll.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Dog wrote:In for 2019.


That's where I'm at.

Don't sell, cause I think this team has a legit shot.

As far as moves, . . I'm not as big on off-season moves as many posters here. I think they need a closer and I'd look at some starting pitching depth, though I suppose Lugo could maybe move back to the rotation.

C: Plaw/Nido (or sign somebody)
1B: Alonso
2B: McNeil
3B: Frazier
SS: Rosario
LF: Conforto
CF: Nimmo/Lagares
RF: Bruce

Bench: Wilmer, or Wilmer platoons with McNeil (room for 2 more). I don't hate the idea of Dom on the bench and a defensive replacement at 1st if he figures out how to play good defense again and maybe he plays the occasional OF. Lefty bench bats are hard to find.

It looks like a good team to me. Bullpen needs shoring up and the bench, but otherwise, I like our chances.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:37 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
Dog wrote:In for 2019.


That's where I'm at.

Don't sell, cause I think this team has a legit shot.

As far as moves, . . I'm not as big on off-season moves as many posters here. I think they need a closer and I'd look at some starting pitching depth, though I suppose Lugo could maybe move back to the rotation.

C: Plaw/Nido (or sign somebody)
1B: Alonso
2B: McNeil
3B: Frazier
SS: Rosario
LF: Conforto
CF: Nimmo/Lagares
RF: Bruce

Bench: Wilmer, or Wilmer platoons with McNeil (room for 2 more). I don't hate the idea of Dom on the bench and a defensive replacement at 1st if he figures out how to play good defense again and maybe he plays the occasional OF. Lefty bench bats are hard to find.

It looks like a good team to me. Bullpen needs shoring up and the bench, but otherwise, I like our chances.

um, isn't this the 74 win 2018 NY Mets?

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
Don't sell, cause I think this team has a legit shot.

As far as moves, . . I'm not as big on off-season moves as many posters here. I think they need a closer and I'd look at some starting pitching depth, though I suppose Lugo could maybe move back to the rotation.

C: Plaw/Nido (or sign somebody)
1B: Alonso
2B: McNeil
3B: Frazier
SS: Rosario
LF: Conforto
CF: Nimmo/Lagares
RF: Bruce

Bench: Wilmer, or Wilmer platoons with McNeil (room for 2 more). I don't hate the idea of Dom on the bench and a defensive replacement at 1st if he figures out how to play good defense again and maybe he plays the occasional OF. Lefty bench bats are hard to find.

It looks like a good team to me. Bullpen needs shoring up and the bench, but otherwise, I like our chances.

um, isn't this the 74 win 2018 NY Mets?



33-30 over the 2nd half so far.

and players are stepping up. McNeil. Conforto is looking a little better. Nimmo looks good. Rosario should be better next year. Wheeler's been great after a bad start. Add Alonso to the mix. I like this team's chances next year.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Conforto is popping the ocassional homer but his average still stinks. He needs to be making better contact or he bcomes another Frazier. You can't have 4 guys in the lineup who rarely get on base (Frazier/Bruce/Conforto/Catcher)

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.

McNeil is the toughest out in the lineup by a wide margin. If Nimmo and Scooter continue to K at 28% of their PAs, you should expect to see regression in their results. If Conforto is closer to his 2nd half results, I'd still be concerned by the contact problem but maybe more by the unsustainable HR/FB rate of 31%. That's up there with JD Martinez at the top of the league. Dialed back and he's maybe a bit closer to his career line of 250/346/470 and about 120 RC+. Still solid and I'll take that if it comes with more contact; not a star tho.

And Nimmo is either playing above his head if he can't reduce his Ks or he's going to get better if he can K less going fwd. Still seems a work in progress.

Wild card for the lineup is Rosie and Alonso. Totally up in air as to what we can expect from either. I've said, Alonso will be the key. They're going to get eaten up by LHers again without a legit RHed bat or 3 in this lineup.

The rest - Bruce, Fraz, Plaw, Lagares - you can't expect more than ML avg... and maybe you have no right to expect that.

So there are def a few bright spots in the lineup, but can't you say this about every team? Will they perform to their capability? Will the rotation duplicate what they've done this year? And then there is the pen... a lot of heavy lifting is needed there.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm

TomInNC wrote:Conforto is popping the ocassional homer but his average still stinks. He needs to be making better contact or he bcomes another Frazier. You can't have 4 guys in the lineup who rarely get on base (Frazier/Bruce/Conforto/Catcher)


Don't forget the pitchers spot in the lineup. That's more than half the lineup that can't get on base.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:58 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.

McNeil is the toughest out in the lineup by a wide margin. If Nimmo and Scooter continue to K at 28% of their PAs, you should expect to see regression in their results. If Conforto is closer to his 2nd half results, I'd still be concerned by the contact problem but maybe more by the unsustainable HR/FB rate of 31%. That's up there with JD Martinez at the top of the league. Dialed back and he's maybe a bit closer to his career line of 250/346/470 and about 120 RC+. Still solid and I'll take that if it comes with more contact; not a star tho.

And Nimmo is either playing above his head if he can't reduce his Ks or he's going to get better if he can K less going fwd. Still seems a work in progress.

Wild card for the lineup is Rosie and Alonso. Totally up in air as to what we can expect from either. I've said, Alonso will be the key. They're going to get eaten up by LHers again without a legit RHed bat or 3 in this lineup.

The rest - Bruce, Fraz, Plaw, Lagares - you can't expect more than ML avg... and maybe you have no right to expect that.

So there are def a few bright spots in the lineup, but can't you say this about every team? Will they perform to their capability? Will the rotation duplicate what they've done this year? And then there is the pen... a lot of heavy lifting is needed there.


Emotions? Just spitballin' here.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.




Emotions? Just spitballin' here.

to the point of advocating for specific players, rather than what's more likely to lead to better baseball/more wins..?

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:04 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.




Emotions? Just spitballin' here.

to the point of advocating for specific players, rather than what's more likely to lead to better baseball/more wins..?


Well, yeah, but that angle never flies here so I won't bother.

Even so, this is a different roster at this point with pitchers finally firing, Conforto mainly back, Nimmo and Rosie growing, McNeil, maybe Alonso and all the other points made by others in the past few weeks, including LTK above but for his unfortunate TDA-blindness.

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:06 pm

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Emotions? Just spitballin' here.

to the point of advocating for specific players, rather than what's more likely to lead to better baseball/more wins..?


Well, yeah, but that angle never flies here so I won't bother.

Even so, this is a different roster at this point with pitchers finally firing, Conforto mainly back, Nimmo and Rosie growing, McNeil, maybe Alonso and all the other points made by others in the past few weeks, including LTK above but for his unfortunate TDA-blindness.

You almost had me going there....

Re: 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 pm

I will just say that it was inevitable that some people would work themselves into a lather with the team playing over 500 in the 2nd half. That's practically a rite of passage for Mets fans.

Breaking down the 2nd half, they were 20-21 thru the end of Aug. They're currently 8-3 in September. It's just hard to put stock in anything that happens in September, as much as some are desperate for any bounce the team gives them. I would caution not to get too high off this little September run tho.
Post a reply