MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 182  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
That's about the kind of trade you're looking for with Bruce though if you're set on getting rid of him. He doesn't have much trade value but can be better...just like McGee and Shaw can be better outside of the Coors prison.

Yeah and I wouldn't make the cash even. We should save money on the deal but the Rox left both those guys off their postseason roster and 1B is such an absolute dumpster fire for them. Ian Desmond both stinks in the field and can't hit. I know he's there for a while but make him a platoon OF with one of their many LHH OFers, right? Jay Bruce in his awful 2018 was still way better than Desmond's been for them last 2 years.

I think its about as good of a fit as we'll find.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
That's about the kind of trade you're looking for with Bruce though if you're set on getting rid of him. He doesn't have much trade value but can be better...just like McGee and Shaw can be better outside of the Coors prison.

Yeah and I wouldn't make the cash even. We should save money on the deal but the Rox left both those guys off their postseason roster and 1B is such an absolute dumpster fire for them. Ian Desmond both stinks in the field and can't hit. I know he's there for a while but make him a platoon OF with one of their many LHH OFers, right? Jay Bruce in his awful 2018 was still way better than Desmond's been for them last 2 years.

Trading Bruce just ends up meaning that they'll have to find an everyday CFer.

I think they're better off keeping Bruce and just limiting his exposure to LHed pitching. He can be productive. And just finally go with Nimmo/Lagares in CF.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am 
Veteran Presence

HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

I think they're better off keeping Bruce and just limiting his exposure to LHed pitching. He can be productive. And just finally go with Nimmo/Lagares in CF.
I know, once bitten (or thrice), but I feel like giving Lagares some run with Nimmo and Conforto in the corners would be fine. Frees up 1B for Dom and/or Alonso. Sign Marwin Gonzalez to play everywhere until Ces gets back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 am 
General Manager

We could use a lefty version of Lagares to platoon/play most games when JL winds up back on the DL anyway. Just not Alejandro deAza.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

I think thats a need anyway. And the whole playing Bruce at 1B and Ajax in CF down the stretch thing surely wasn't so that they'll just stick him back in RF next year with Conforto/Nimmo in CF (which they basically told you this year they don't think is viable), was it?

Bruce seems superfluous. We're going to need like 4 or 5 new pen arms next year, and thats assuming Lugo is 1) healthy and 2) still a reliever. Some maybe be FA pickups, but you're going to have to get creative with how you assemble them. I think banking on a bounceback from a guy a team probably wants to move on from in exchange for a guy you dont' really have a position for is a good move. If nothing else, we're opening up ABs for younger guys in a year where contention would be a surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I think thats a need anyway. And the whole playing Bruce at 1B and Ajax in CF down the stretch thing surely wasn't so that they'll just stick him back in RF next year with Conforto/Nimmo in CF (which they basically told you this year they don't think is viable), was it?

Bruce seems superfluous. We're going to need like 4 or 5 new pen arms next year, and thats assuming Lugo is 1) healthy and 2) still a reliever. Some maybe be FA pickups, but you're going to have to get creative with how you assemble them. I think banking on a bounceback from a guy a team probably wants to move on from in exchange for a guy you dont' really have a position for is a good move. If nothing else, we're opening up ABs for younger guys in a year where contention would be a surprise.

If you're saying 1B in CO for Bruce, I don't see that. I don't see the Rox swapping a bad contract to add a 1Bman when they are very easily available in free agency. They'll have a bunch of them to sort thru - Matt Adams, Marwin Gonz, Duda, Morrison, Reynolds, Murphy even.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
If you're saying 1B in CO for Bruce, I don't see that. I don't see the Rox swapping a bad contract to add a 1Bman when they are very easily available in free agency. They'll have a bunch of them to sort thru - Matt Adams, Marwin Gonz, Duda, Morrison, Reynolds, Murphy even.

I get that Ian Desmond wrote the book on bad first base contracts but they already owe him $40 million over the next three years. Would you want to bring in Jay Bruce for the privilege of paying that two-headed monster $48 million over the next two years? The optics are terrible, at best, and the on-field performance isn't great either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Bruce will cost them a marginal $4m/year. I guess thats probably Duda's price, but the rest either stink (LoMo) or will likely cost more. Plus, again, Shaw and McGee aren't even on their playoff roster, so its not just clearing a bad contract, its clearing the roster spot they're otherwise holding up over someone that when push comes to shove, it certainly seems like they prefer over those 2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I get that Ian Desmond wrote the book on bad first base contracts but they already owe him $40 million over the next three years. Would you want to bring in Jay Bruce for the privilege of paying that two-headed monster $48 million over the next two years? The optics are terrible, at best, and the on-field performance isn't great either.

Desmond's gonna be there, but you don't have to give him 500 At bats at 1B. Parra, Diehl and Blackmon are all lefty (plus Bruce) so he just slides around vs. LHP. He still hit LHP well enough this year that you can squeeze some use out of him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

If we just bring Bruce back and hope for a rebound, I'm having a real hard time seeing where the Mets are improving next year. Here's your likely OD lineup if they do that:

Rosario SS
McNeil 2B
Conforto LF
Frazier 3B
Nimmo RF
[New Catcher? Maybe?]
Bruce 1B
Lagares CF

Right? There's gotta be an effort to dump some of the old, even if they're technically OK. Bruce and Frazier, looking at you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Bruce will cost them a marginal $4m/year. I guess thats probably Duda's price, but the rest either stink (LoMo) or will likely cost more. Plus, again, Shaw and McGee aren't even on their playoff roster, so its not just clearing a bad contract, its clearing the roster spot they're otherwise holding up over someone that when push comes to shove, it certainly seems like they prefer over those 2.

Just yesterday you mentioned the 4 quality arms not on the Astros playoff roster, so this isn't a barometer of very much. Shaw and McGee had forgettable years and like most pitchers, are way better off pitching away from CO but the Rox more or less 'sign up for this' and have to overpay to attract pitchers. So I don't know if they'd be looking to get out of either of those deals already. And McGee was re-signed after having success there. Also the point already made about 1Bmen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If we just bring Bruce back and hope for a rebound, I'm having a real hard time seeing where the Mets are improving next year. Here's your likely OD lineup if they do that:

Rosario SS
McNeil 2B
Conforto LF
Frazier 3B
Nimmo RF
[New Catcher? Maybe?]
Bruce 1B
Lagares CF

Right? There's gotta be an effort to dump some of the old, even if they're technically OK. Bruce and Frazier, looking at you.

I think the issue is more that Frazier is our best right-handed hitter than it is that Frazier is on the roster. He's not particularly good but he's not the worst in the world, he's just ugly as sin hitting cleanup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 182  Next