MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 182  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm 
Prospect

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If we just bring Bruce back and hope for a rebound, I'm having a real hard time seeing where the Mets are improving next year. Here's your likely OD lineup if they do that:

Rosario SS
McNeil 2B
Conforto LF
Frazier 3B
Nimmo RF
[New Catcher? Maybe?]
Bruce 1B
Lagares CF

Right? There's gotta be an effort to dump some of the old, even if they're technically OK. Bruce and Frazier, looking at you.

New catcher better be Ramos, Grandal or Cervelli, plus a few legit pen additions. Otherwise, it will be same old Mets, right down to expecting Lagares to be healthy for 150 games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

deviljets wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If we just bring Bruce back and hope for a rebound, I'm having a real hard time seeing where the Mets are improving next year. Here's your likely OD lineup if they do that:

Rosario SS
McNeil 2B
Conforto LF
Frazier 3B
Nimmo RF
[New Catcher? Maybe?]
Bruce 1B
Lagares CF

Right? There's gotta be an effort to dump some of the old, even if they're technically OK. Bruce and Frazier, looking at you.

New catcher better be Ramos, Grandal or Cervelli, plus a few legit pen additions. Otherwise, it will be same old Mets, right down to expecting Lagares to be healthy for 150 games.

How often do 2nd generation catcher contracts work out? I can't really remember a recent example. I'm not all that keen that we're going to change this whole thing up by signing a big 30-something yr old catcher and hit him in the middle of our order - they may help (or, gosh, we could get a GM that thinks outside of just "Here's a list of FA, I'll sign one to my obvious open spot, and call it a day."), but its why I'm so keen on needing to clear out Frazier and/or Bruce to open up a few spots where you can look at real substantial changes (and yeah, that might mean doing something big like trading a Conforto or something).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm 
Prospect

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the Padres have soured on Manuel Margot. Admittedly he regressed this season, but is just 24 and can play an above average CF.

I'm also intrigued by Michael Taylor, but a trade with the Nats seems more unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

deviljets wrote:
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if the Padres have soured on Manuel Margot. Admittedly he regressed this season, but is just 24 and can play an above average CF.

I'm also intrigued by Michael Taylor, but a trade with the Nats seems more unlikely.

I've mentioned Margot as a buy low before. I'd def be interested. The team desperately needs another RHed bat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 pm 
Prospect

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
deviljets wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Rosario SS
McNeil 2B
Conforto LF
Frazier 3B
Nimmo RF
[New Catcher? Maybe?]
Bruce 1B
Lagares CF

How often do 2nd generation catcher contracts work out? I can't really remember a recent example. I'm not all that keen that we're going to change this whole thing up by signing a big 30-something yr old catcher and hit him in the middle of our order - they may help (or, gosh, we could get a GM that thinks outside of just "Here's a list of FA, I'll sign one to my obvious open spot, and call it a day."), but its why I'm so keen on needing to clear out Frazier and/or Bruce to open up a few spots where you can look at real substantial changes (and yeah, that might mean doing something big like trading a Conforto or something).

I hear you on that one and won't argue the point. Based on the way the free agent market has depressed in other areas the last few years, I'm guessing/hopeful that a Grandal/Ramos are more likely to have to settle for 2 or 3 years, rather than get the grossly inflated deals that Russell Martin and Brian McCann got.

Other than AJ Pollock, who has a scary injury history and an even scarier 2nd half performance, I don't see any free agent CF options worth pursuing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

2019 Salaries
Cespedes - $29
deGrom - ~$14
Bruce - $14
Lagares - $9
Frazier - $9
Swarzak - $8.5
Vargas - $8
Noah - ~$6
Wheeler - ~$4.5
Wright - $3.75 ($11.25 in insurance)
Conforto - ~$3
Matz - ~$3
Plawecki - ~$2
Pre-Arb Others - ~$7

Flores non-tendered or traded.

Total - ~$120.75

I'm going to be generous and say payroll will be close to ~$160m only because the intense scrutiny there will be on this offseason. That leaves about $35-40m to spend this offseason.

I'd go all in on building a deep bullpen with most of the money. Whatever is left spend on a C. Hope Lagares can be a healthy contributor.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

What would people think of Miguel Sano as a buy-low candidate (assuming he gets out of whatever trouble he just got himself into in the DR)? Bats right-handed, fills a position of need (albeit not all that way), recent success. I'd be a lot more comfortable going to war with him as our cleanup hitter than I am with Todd Frazier.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
What would people think of Miguel Sano as a buy-low candidate (assuming he gets out of whatever trouble he just got himself into in the DR)? Bats right-handed, fills a position of need (albeit not all that way), recent success. I'd be a lot more comfortable going to war with him as our cleanup hitter than I am with Todd Frazier.

What's the over/under on number of people he kills before Spring Training?

I'll take the over.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
northway wrote:

I'll take the over.

8)

He just needs to act really angry and indignant and then we can all forgive him. Bonus points for finger-wagging.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:25 pm 
Rookie

"Future Met" Marwin Gonzalez did his best Yogi Berra impression and hit a head high pitch for a 2 RBI hit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
NYFS Staff

I'm starting to warm to Marwin as a target.

Still think Bruce gums up the works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

northway wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
northway wrote:

I'll take the over.

8)

He just needs to act really angry and indignant and then we can all forgive him. Bonus points for finger-wagging.

:P :P :lol: :lol:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 182  Next