MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 182  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I'm always IN on a new year of Mets baseball

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.

All of this here. People are looking into a second half where the team was way out of it as this is the actual skill level of the Mets and EVEN then, they're playing as a .500 team. All these "x in the second half" and "x-x since August 1st" is just hilarious to me.

Again, this is a team that needs a big move, plus a good Rosario season, plus the Mets FO to truly buy a bullpen, plus health to truly matter next season. Otherwise, you'll need them to go on ANOTHER 11-1-ish start and hope they can play good enough to hold onto it for the entire season.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm 
General Manager

I'm not sure I understand the vision of the blow it all up crowd

I'm all for blowing things up when the best players on the team are veterans and they would have greater value to a win now team

But the CORE of the team are young players who have many prime years ahead of them.

Rosario is 22 years old
Conforto and Nimmo are 25.
McNeil and Thor are 26. Matz is 27. Wheeler is 28.
deGrom is the old man at 30
Gsellman, Lugo, Plaw are young, have some value and are controllable and cheap
Then you have Alonso who might be ready to join that core

So it would make more sense to try and add to that core then subtract from it.

Having said that, if you can get Eloy Jimenez+ for deGrom then heck yeah - lets do it! Someone like that that can step right into the core, would make sense. But I don't see many teams that would be willing to trade great prospects that are ready now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:34 am 
MVP

bygranddesign wrote:

I'm all for blowing things up when the best players on the team are veterans and they would have greater value to a win now team

But the CORE of the team are young players who have many prime years ahead of them.

Rosario is 22 years old

Having said that, if you can get Eloy Jimenez+ for deGrom then heck yeah - lets do it! Someone like that that can step right into the core, would make sense. But I don't see many teams that would be willing to trade great prospects that are ready now.

They're looking at the record and not the team. The Mets have the young core in place to open a new competitive window.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:49 am 
Rookie

bygranddesign wrote:

I don't anyone is saying "blow it up" anymore. However, to bring back the exact same team and hope for magic to get the second wildcard is a bit silly.

My issue here is that the Mets lack the ability to be stable for any point of their existence lol

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am 
General Manager

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Some people seem to get emotionally attached to players for whatever reason. This is a .500 roster. It was this season; it's not going to be better a year older unless Alonso is a beast from wire to wire and 4 others have all-star seasons, and it's silly to expect all that to happen.

All of this here. People are looking into a second half where the team was way out of it as this is the actual skill level of the Mets and EVEN then, they're playing as a .500 team. All these "x in the second half" and "x-x since August 1st" is just hilarious to me.

Again, this is a team that needs a big move, plus a good Rosario season, plus the Mets FO to truly buy a bullpen, plus health to truly matter next season. Otherwise, you'll need them to go on ANOTHER 11-1-ish start and hope they can play good enough to hold onto it for the entire season.

Unfortunately for you and me 'people' include Met ownership. So like it or not we're in for another offseason of an attempted patchwork job.

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

I don't anyone is saying "blow it up" anymore. However, to bring back the exact same team and hope for magic to get the second wildcard is a bit silly.

My issue here is that the Mets lack the ability to be stable for any point of their existence lol

Yeah it's two different arguments. I'm not sure they need to blow it up completely anymore with how some of the younger players have played but they need to show some freaking creativity for once and not automatically rely on every question mark to break our way. It's still a flawed setup that needs great health from the starting pitching (which has only been there the second half of this season since 2015) and a Bruce bounceback, since Ces won't be a factor till 2020 and they don't have enough power elsewhere in the lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:15 am 
MVP

Bruce was definitely playing hurt for most of this season. I think he should be a safe bet for 50+ extra base hits and an .800 OPS if he plays 140+ games next season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am 
Everyday Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
Bruce was definitely playing hurt for most of this season. I think he should be a safe bet for 50+ extra base hits and an .800 OPS if he plays 140+ games next season.

Here's hoping some other GM believes that too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am 
General Manager

We couldn't get jack for a 'good' Bruce under contract for one year in 2017, we aren't gonna be able to trade him off a poor one with two years to go.

They also need another RH power hitter somewhere. Where's the RH power coming from next year...Bruce, Conforto and Nimmo are all lefties.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

Strongly disagree. He posted sub .800 OPS in 2014, 2015, barely cleared it in 2016 and again 2018. 2014 and 2015 were in Cincy. If anything gotta bet the under on 32 year old Jay Bruce. His OPS since 2014 is .750. Even subtracting this season giving him the "injured" excuse it's .760

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:

Rosario is 22 years old

Being young and mediocre isn't any better than being old and mediocre.

There's a lot of justifying bringing back the same core, but again, unless you're projecting huge gains in 1 year from a lot of these guys, why would the outcome be different? Simply citing age doesn't do anything for me.

Oh, and as much as it may be a Negative Nancy thing to say - we can keep citing the 2nd half record. Its happening during a stretch where 60% of our rotation is pitching to a 2.2 ERA. DeGrom and Wheeler by themselves have a RIDICULOUS 1.55 ERA in the 2nd half together. We're getting historically great pitching performances and are going to win 72-75 games.

I mean, go ahead of pencil that in for next year if you'd like - along with the improvement from all the youngsters - and then you can talk about your 90 win dream (which is where the WC is headed). But excuse me for thinking thats not very practical.

So, again, if you keep everything in tact, whats the path to contending?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

Marwin + Ramos or Grandal

I guess ante up on one of the "closers" because none of the in-house guys look like that to me

Sign Morton (yup another SP)

1b- Gonzalez to open the season, Alonso once they are done playing games
2b- McNeil
SS Rosario
LF Gonzalez
CF Nimmo
RF Conforto
C Grandal or Ramos + Plawecki

Rotation
DeGrom, Thor, Morton, Wheeler, Matz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 182  Next