MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 90  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Huh? The Mets don't care about payroll suddenly? They have about 110 committed for next season. There are 2 "middle of the order" bats available... Machado/Harper, you honestly believe the Mets will be in on either player? Absolutely not. 0% chance. In fact, I'd be surprised if they even take a meeting with them. That leaves you with guys like 39 year old Nelson Cruz (not happening) and Donaldson at 33 years old coming off an awful season. In fact, outside of Cespedes taking less money than expected when is the last time the Mets even pursued a top dog FA? Carlos Beltran in 2005? Have they even taken a meeting with a "top" guy since Madoff happened? if they have I don't recall it. So yeah, money is absolutely "the" factor in everything the Mets do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm 
General Manager

Disco Ball wrote:
One thing to remember is that they had an historically bad June (5-21). Not even the 62 Mets had as bad of a full month of play. Had they played "as well" in June as they had in May (10-18), this would be a .500 team. Not great baseball by any means, but certainly not Marlinesque either.

Whatever resources they have should be funneled to acquiring some more reliable bullpen arms. I am in agreement with the faults pointed out about Nimmo, Conforto, Rosario, etc., but every player has flaws and nearly every lineup has it's question marks. The Mets have been a much more entertaining team to watch since the ASB. They are poised for the next step, hopefully a forward one

One thing to remember is they had a historically good start - 11-1. If they were 6-6 they wouldn’t be .500 now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
Blue Chipper

Metro2007 wrote:
Huh? The Mets don't care about payroll suddenly? They have about 110 committed for next season. There are 2 "middle of the order" bats available... Machado/Harper, you honestly believe the Mets will be in on either player? Absolutely not. 0% chance. In fact, I'd be surprised if they even take a meeting with them. That leaves you with guys like 39 year old Nelson Cruz (not happening) and Donaldson at 33 years old coming off an awful season. In fact, outside of Cespedes taking less money than expected when is the last time the Mets even pursued a top dog FA? Carlos Beltran in 2005? Have they even taken a meeting with a "top" guy since Madoff happened? if they have I don't recall it. So yeah, money is absolutely "the" factor in everything the Mets do.

100% agree.... Mets likely won’t pursue a top bat till the Cespedes contract runs out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MetFan29 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

Why not?

Uh $$$

That's it? You can't come up with a really excuse?

What's a 'really excuse'?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Matt Ehalt

Verified account

@MattEhalt
Following Following @MattEhalt
More
Mets are not in on the Mesas for those wondering.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Matt Ehalt

Verified account

@MattEhalt
Following Following @MattEhalt
More
Mets are not in on the Mesas for those wondering.

Can't speak for others but this was keeping me up at night. Hopefully I'll get a good night's sleep tonight... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

To a question regarding Rosario:

Quote:
Kiley McDaniel: This is probably what he is–toolsy, electric, a little impatient, probably plays a bit below the ultimate upside but a solid regular with a chance to be well above

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 pm 
Rookie

Metsfan980 wrote:
They were one of the more active teams last year in FA, signed Cespedes to some massive AAV contracts, and will have most of Wright's and Cespedes' salaries covered by insurance next year. Plus, they don't really have any guaranteed contracts beyond 2019 outside of a year of Bruce, Cespedes, and arbitration guys.

I know it's the easy joke to make, but the Mets have shown an inclination to add pieces when contending and have the financial freedom to give out a big deal.

It took collusion for the Mets to spend money, which I find funny, tbh. In a normal free agency period, the Mets do not re-sign Bruce, sign Vargas and Frazier. The Mets have not shown the inclination to add big pieces, just pieces that fit in their budget that doesn't truly exist.

Remember, last offseason, all they talked about was getting relief pitching and when the prices came out on relief pitching, they backed out. They didn't go after Cain, nor go after any of the big pitching. When the Mets make an actual big deal, we'll talk about it. THe Mets ONLY signed Cespedes to those deals because the Wright money was going down + the last two playoff appearances and gates off of that.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm 
Manager

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Being young and mediocre isn't any better than being old and mediocre.

There's a lot of justifying bringing back the same core, but again, unless you're projecting huge gains in 1 year from a lot of these guys, why would the outcome be different? Simply citing age doesn't do anything for me.

Oh, and as much as it may be a Negative Nancy thing to say - we can keep citing the 2nd half record. Its happening during a stretch where 60% of our rotation is pitching to a 2.2 ERA. DeGrom and Wheeler by themselves have a RIDICULOUS 1.55 ERA in the 2nd half together. We're getting historically great pitching performances and are going to win 72-75 games.

I mean, go ahead of pencil that in for next year if you'd like - along with the improvement from all the youngsters - and then you can talk about your 90 win dream (which is where the WC is headed). But excuse me for thinking thats not very practical.

So, again, if you keep everything in tact, whats the path to contending?

This is an excellent post and I wish the people who merely say to bring everyone back would answer the question here.

deGrom is an 8 WAR pitcher with a losing record

This is because the offense played well below the low end of projections

deGrom, Thor, Wheeler can be 15+ game winners with an average offense supporting them ... and even with some pitching regression.

If you believe that Conforto is mediocre. And Bruce will hit like Rey Ordonez. And McNeil and Nimmo really are not that good. And Rosario won’t improve. And first base will be a black hole. Frazier will get hurt again and Reyes will get 400 at bats.

And they won’t look to make any little moves to improve the offense or the bullpen

Then yeah it’s gonna be bad again.

But I think the offense will improve and with some smart moves can be an overall strong offense with some nice upside.

And that improvement will produce a lot of wins for an already strong starting pitching staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 pm 
Rookie

bygranddesign wrote:
This is because the offense played well below the low end of projections

If you believe that Conforto is mediocre. And Bruce will hit like Rey Ordonez. And McNeil and Nimmo really are not that good. And Rosario won’t improve. And first base will be a black hole. Frazier will get hurt again and Reyes will get 400 at bats.

And they won’t look to make any little moves to improve the offense or the bullpen

I deleted the stuff I think I agree with. These three I'm not sure on, especially the last one. I guess my issue is that everyone who thinks the Mets will be good assumes EVERY player is going to improve next year and it just doesn't work like that. I also find it interesting that people aren't saying this team has a chance to, like, win the division, just fighting for another wildcard spot.

Then it goes back to the question: how confident are you in the Mets compared to the teams in the current race? Like, they're already better than you and I think we can admit that the Mets need great health to get into WC position.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:50 am 
Rookie

Fortunately for the Mets, there isn't currently one dominant NL team. You could make the argument that the top five teams in MLB are all in the AL (Boston, NYY, Houston, Cleveland and Oakland).

There is no real juggernaut in the NL, all of the division leaders look vulnerable, and with the exception of Atlanta, there is no guarantee that who is leading their division today is even in the playoffs in two weeks.

Unless there is a drastic shift this offseason, the gap for the Mets from a probable fourth place finish in 2018 and a playoff spot in 2019 isn't that far. While I tend to agree with the sentiments on this board that the team's play since 8/1 is somewhat illusionary, I also see several of these young players are establishing themselves as bona fide MLB starting players, warts and all.

Manny Machado playing third and hitting either second or third in the batting order is the obvious fit. Bring back Familia to close, and this is probably the best team in the NL East. The former is probably a pipe dream, so it will be very interesting to see what (if anything) they do instead.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:28 am 
Rookie

Disco Ball wrote:
Unless there is a drastic shift this offseason, the gap for the Mets from a probable fourth place finish in 2018 and a playoff spot in 2019 isn't that far. While I tend to agree with the sentiments on this board that the team's play since 8/1 is somewhat illusionary, I also see several of these young players are establishing themselves as bona fide MLB starting players, warts and all.

The Mets have 69 wins right now. The WC teams have 85 and 81 wins. That's not a small gap, tbh. Of the seven teams right now ahead of the Mets in the WC, how many do you see them better than as for 2019? As least make the case for the Mets being a better team than Pittsburgh next season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 90  Next