MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 182  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
northway wrote:
I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini on the 40-man roster...

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

Guys that should be off the 40-

Reinheimer, Reyes, Jackson, Evans, Lobaton, Mesoraco, TDA, Ramos, Montero, Gagnon, Conlon, Peterson, Blevins... man this team has more dead weight than even other past bad Mets teams.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am 
General Manager

Also keep in mind they have 50 players on the 40 man roster (if you want to count Mejia) as well, because of all the 60 Day DL guys. I'm not denying the dead weight, but that's an obvious reason why it's so glaring right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Practically A Wilpon

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
northway wrote:
I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini on the 40-man roster...

Why?

He's not good and there dozens of other players you can get on minor league deals that can fill whatever minor role he might play in a given MLB season.

Brodie is to the Mets what Billy McFarland was to the Fyre Festival.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

At the risk of offending anyone, picking on Cheech as a (or the) guy who needs to be banished from this roster seems weird.... esp given how much dead weight there is on the 40. Cheech had an unfortunate busted season bc of a fluke injury (fouling a ball off his foot). Moreover, given how the org more or less just stumbled onto its best player who happened to be a 26 rookie, it seems especially harsh to toss a guy like Cheech aside who could actually add value as a UT player going forward... and a guy who still has a minor league option remaining (at least one more iirc).

And he hits from the right side, a point I'm going to repeat a lot over the winter. This team could actually be competitive next year if they figure out a strategy of how to deal with LHed pitching (and ironically also how to obtain some good LHed pitching, but I digress). Cheech is potentially worth hanging onto... and certainly with no urgency over 40 man spots.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
At the risk of offending anyone, picking on Cheech as a (or the) guy who needs to be banished from this roster seems weird.... esp given how much dead weight there is on the 40. Cheech had an unfortunate busted season bc of a fluke injury (fouling a ball off his foot). Moreover, given how the org more or less just stumbled onto its best player who happened to be a 26 rookie, it seems especially harsh to toss a guy like Cheech aside who could actually add value as a UT player going forward... and a guy who still has a minor league option remaining (at least one more iirc).

And he hits from the right side, a point I'm going to repeat a lot over the winter. This team could actually be competitive next year if they figure out a strategy of how to deal with LHed pitching (and ironically also how to obtain some good LHed pitching, but I digress). Cheech is potentially worth hanging onto... and certainly with no urgency over 40 man spots.

Cheech has gotten almost no opportunity...less than Dom even...to show anything.

I absolutely would love to see him in the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Just to be clear, my issue is with guaranteeing him Reyes' spot, not with having him in the mix and giving him an opportunity to play himself into a good chunk of PAs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

I haven’t seen his name mentioned but what’s the status of TJ Rivera? I know he had a setback but if he’s healthy I’d bet we’d see him over Cheech

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
I haven’t seen his name mentioned but what’s the status of TJ Rivera? I know he had a setback but if he’s healthy I’d bet we’d see him over Cheech

Won't play until 2019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Also keep in mind they have 50 players on the 40 man roster (if you want to count Mejia) as well, because of all the 60 Day DL guys. I'm not denying the dead weight, but that's an obvious reason why it's so glaring right now.

Well no knock on DW... but technically he's deadweight on the 40 as well nor does it include a take or leave guy like Callahan/Rhame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm 
Blue Chipper

Mets expect Tebow back....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets ... n-in-2019/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm 
Veteran Presence

Metro2007 wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

Well no knock on DW... but technically he's deadweight on the 40 as well nor does it include a take or leave guy like Callahan/Rhame

Since he's not retiring, does that mean he has to remain on the 40 man indefinitely, or is the physically unable to perform not a thing?

The Far Side

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 182  Next