Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 am

Ralf wrote:
northway wrote:I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.


I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini on the 40-man roster...

Why?

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

Guys that should be off the 40-

Reinheimer, Reyes, Jackson, Evans, Lobaton, Mesoraco, TDA, Ramos, Montero, Gagnon, Conlon, Peterson, Blevins... man this team has more dead weight than even other past bad Mets teams.

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Also keep in mind they have 50 players on the 40 man roster (if you want to count Mejia) as well, because of all the 60 Day DL guys. I'm not denying the dead weight, but that's an obvious reason why it's so glaring right now.

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 am

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
northway wrote:I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.


I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini on the 40-man roster...

Why?


He's not good and there dozens of other players you can get on minor league deals that can fill whatever minor role he might play in a given MLB season.

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:29 am

At the risk of offending anyone, picking on Cheech as a (or the) guy who needs to be banished from this roster seems weird.... esp given how much dead weight there is on the 40. Cheech had an unfortunate busted season bc of a fluke injury (fouling a ball off his foot). Moreover, given how the org more or less just stumbled onto its best player who happened to be a 26 rookie, it seems especially harsh to toss a guy like Cheech aside who could actually add value as a UT player going forward... and a guy who still has a minor league option remaining (at least one more iirc).

And he hits from the right side, a point I'm going to repeat a lot over the winter. This team could actually be competitive next year if they figure out a strategy of how to deal with LHed pitching (and ironically also how to obtain some good LHed pitching, but I digress). Cheech is potentially worth hanging onto... and certainly with no urgency over 40 man spots.

Re: 2019

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:At the risk of offending anyone, picking on Cheech as a (or the) guy who needs to be banished from this roster seems weird.... esp given how much dead weight there is on the 40. Cheech had an unfortunate busted season bc of a fluke injury (fouling a ball off his foot). Moreover, given how the org more or less just stumbled onto its best player who happened to be a 26 rookie, it seems especially harsh to toss a guy like Cheech aside who could actually add value as a UT player going forward... and a guy who still has a minor league option remaining (at least one more iirc).

And he hits from the right side, a point I'm going to repeat a lot over the winter. This team could actually be competitive next year if they figure out a strategy of how to deal with LHed pitching (and ironically also how to obtain some good LHed pitching, but I digress). Cheech is potentially worth hanging onto... and certainly with no urgency over 40 man spots.


Cheech has gotten almost no opportunity...less than Dom even...to show anything.

I absolutely would love to see him in the mix.

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am

HeyNowHK wrote:At the risk of offending anyone, picking on Cheech as a (or the) guy who needs to be banished from this roster seems weird.... esp given how much dead weight there is on the 40. Cheech had an unfortunate busted season bc of a fluke injury (fouling a ball off his foot). Moreover, given how the org more or less just stumbled onto its best player who happened to be a 26 rookie, it seems especially harsh to toss a guy like Cheech aside who could actually add value as a UT player going forward... and a guy who still has a minor league option remaining (at least one more iirc).

And he hits from the right side, a point I'm going to repeat a lot over the winter. This team could actually be competitive next year if they figure out a strategy of how to deal with LHed pitching (and ironically also how to obtain some good LHed pitching, but I digress). Cheech is potentially worth hanging onto... and certainly with no urgency over 40 man spots.


Just to be clear, my issue is with guaranteeing him Reyes' spot, not with having him in the mix and giving him an opportunity to play himself into a good chunk of PAs.

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 am

I haven’t seen his name mentioned but what’s the status of TJ Rivera? I know he had a setback but if he’s healthy I’d bet we’d see him over Cheech

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am

Steve The Original wrote:I haven’t seen his name mentioned but what’s the status of TJ Rivera? I know he had a setback but if he’s healthy I’d bet we’d see him over Cheech



Won't play until 2019

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am

dragonfly wrote:Also keep in mind they have 50 players on the 40 man roster (if you want to count Mejia) as well, because of all the 60 Day DL guys. I'm not denying the dead weight, but that's an obvious reason why it's so glaring right now.



Well no knock on DW... but technically he's deadweight on the 40 as well nor does it include a take or leave guy like Callahan/Rhame

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Mets expect Tebow back....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets ... n-in-2019/

Re: 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Metro2007 wrote:
dragonfly wrote:Also keep in mind they have 50 players on the 40 man roster (if you want to count Mejia) as well, because of all the 60 Day DL guys. I'm not denying the dead weight, but that's an obvious reason why it's so glaring right now.



Well no knock on DW... but technically he's deadweight on the 40 as well nor does it include a take or leave guy like Callahan/Rhame


Since he's not retiring, does that mean he has to remain on the 40 man indefinitely, or is the physically unable to perform not a thing?
Post a reply