Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 am

David Peterson (LHP) A+
9
24%
Anthony Kay (LHP) A+
0
No votes
Franklyn Kilome (RHP) AA
3
8%
Simeon Woods-Richardson (RHP) Kingsport
0
No votes
Ross Adolph (OF) Brooklyn
0
No votes
Thomas Szapucki (LHP) A
3
8%
Luis Santana (2B) Kingsport
1
3%
Shervyen Newton (SS) Kingsport
0
No votes
Justin Dunn (RHP) A+
10
27%
Mark Vientos (3B) Kingsport
11
30%
 
Total votes : 37

Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:17 am

Rookie maximums for at-bats (130), games pitched (30) or innings (50) in the major leagues"

If the 2 leaders are within 5% of each other, or the leader has less than 35% there will be a run-off between the top 2. If a run-off results in a tie the tiebreaker will be vote total in the previous poll, we will continue to "go back" in the polls until there is a clear leader.

*Jeff McNeil is ineligible
*Chris Flexen is ineligible

1) Andres Gimenez (SS) AA 19/37 votes- 51%
2) Peter Alonso (1B) AAA 24/36 votes- 67%
3) Jarred Kelenic (CF) Kingsport 31/36-86%
4) Ronny Mauricio (SS) Kingsport 12/33-36%

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:41 am

Went Peterson largely based on some post from another poster at how good Peterson GB rate was and he had a solid K rate. I'm a Dunn fan but despite his good K rate, he was struggling with hits allowed, looks like he made need to fine tune an off speed pitch for him to take the next step. Peterson, Dunn and Kilome likely are my next 3.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am

Waffled between Peterson and Dunn. Went Peterson. Build and GB rate, strong finish. My next 4 are Peterson, Dunn or Vientos and then Kilome. Pipeline ranked our top 3 all VERY close in their new top 100 and Dunn #89 which means both Law and MLB have him top 100 which heavily influenced me considering Dunn here but his #'s vs. lefties concern me and this idea a solid SP prospect automatically becomes a high end RP doesn't work for me.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am

Peterson for me, too. Have already explained why.

Dunn is next but the lack of a good third pitch does make me a bit nervous.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:10 am

I’m still picking Vientos. High Offensive Upside but still far away from the majors.

Nominate Cheech for inclusion to the list.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

stevereiff wrote:I’m still picking Vientos. High Offensive Upside but still far away from the majors.

Nominate Cheech for inclusion to the list.



Done.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

Vientos. High floor, low risk. Looks like a safe bet as an corner bat. Makes contact and already showing power. Prob spends his age 19 season in Cola. Not more than a handful of players normally do that.

I have the 5 starters following in the 6-10 slots in some order. While Peterson is less risky than the other 4 bc of the high GB rate, all have "pitcher risk" and only Puck looks like potentially more than a middle/back of the rotation arm and he has 'return from surgery' risk.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

Mogriffjr wrote:Went Peterson largely based on some post from another poster at how good Peterson GB rate was and he had a solid K rate. I'm a Dunn fan but despite his good K rate, he was struggling with hits allowed, looks like he made need to fine tune an off speed pitch for him to take the next step. Peterson, Dunn and Kilome likely are my next 3.


Yeah, don't get how you ding Dunn for this but go Peterson. May not be indicative of anything long term, but citing "struggling with hits allowed" for the guy who did better at preventing hits at a level higher than Peterson seems odd.


FWIW, Dunn is actually younger than Peterson too.

Stuff, a level higher, scouts seem to prefer Dunn. Thats enough for me. Dunn here.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am

I don't have any specific strong love for Peterson but final 5 starts 29 innings 16 hits 5 walks 32 k's. Very small sample size but 6 of his final 7 starts were strong

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am

I don't understand how Vientos could possibly be "low-risk" when he hasn't played above rookie ball and plays a corner position to boot.

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:34 am

Hot Takes wrote:I don't understand how Vientos could possibly be "low-risk" when he hasn't played above rookie ball and plays a corner position to boot.

The defensive bar is going to be low in a corner, and while he'll 'have to hit', he's already shown an advanced bat with the rare contact/power combo and high walk rate. Going by the early results (projection and pre-draft status), the risk looks low now.

Same token, the ceiling prob isn't that high. Nick Castellanos a fair comp..?

Re: Who is the #5 prospect in the Mets system?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 am

HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:I don't understand how Vientos could possibly be "low-risk" when he hasn't played above rookie ball and plays a corner position to boot.

The defensive bar is going to be low in a corner, and while he'll 'have to hit', he's already shown an advanced bat with the rare contact/power combo and high walk rate. Going by the early results (projection and pre-draft status), the risk looks low now.

Same token, the ceiling prob isn't that high. Nick Castellanos a fair comp..?


I wouldn't consider any prospect in rookie ball "low-risk." Even Kelenic, who has been producing on the circuit for years, is considered by most sites to be "high risk."

I think since the offensive bar will be so high for Vientos given the lack of secondary skills, he's pretty much the definition of "high-risk" in our system.
Post a reply