MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-19 Winter Ball Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:47 am 
Rookie

The "Alonso can't hit for average" is a crazy, unfair, way off-base fabrication.

Criticize his defense, sure. We can also discuss the minuscule value of 1B defense and what it takes to be passable there considering expected offensive output but the average, Adam Dunn argument is lazy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Rookie

jdawginsc wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
If you like breaking a 1-25 with a homer, you're going to love Pete Alonso.

8)

He hit .285 in the minors this year. Your guy Dom hit .254.

The fight's over; Dom lost. Get over it.

Is it? Who knows...? Probably, but we shall see when things shake out in the spring.

Nothing is going to change in the Spring. If Dom wins the job at some point, it's going to be because he earned his way back to that position in AAA this season. Alonso is "the guy" to the org right now; Spring isn't going to change that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:

Sure.

Like Duda beat Ike Davis.

Enjoy.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
The "Alonso can't hit for average" is a crazy, unfair, way off-base fabrication.

Criticize his defense, sure. We can also discuss the minuscule value of 1B defense and what it takes to be passable there considering expected offensive output but the average, Adam Dunn argument is lazy.

100% not aimed at anyone in particular but I'm not sure why we conflate the discussion of the value of 1b defense with how good or bad Alonso (and even Dom) are over there vs. other 1b. I think they are unrelated quite honestly. 1b defense can be overrated with Alonso still being a bad defensive 1b. It just means his bad defense is less important than people believe. I personally feel if he mashes the 1b defense will rarely if ever be discussed but if he's "okay" then it will be more glaring. If he's sub-average with the bat then he won't be a big leaguer for very long or at least in the NL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm 
Rookie

Metro2007 wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

100% not aimed at anyone in particular but I'm not sure why we conflate the discussion of the value of 1b defense with how good or bad Alonso (and even Dom) are over there vs. other 1b. I think they are unrelated quite honestly. 1b defense can be overrated with Alonso still being a bad defensive 1b. It just means his bad defense is less important than people believe. I personally feel if he mashes the 1b defense will rarely if ever be discussed but if he's "okay" then it will be more glaring. If he's sub-average with the bat then he won't be a big leaguer for very long or at least in the NL.

Of course. Defense makes or breaks no 1B in 2018. That's pretty much been my point all along. Alonso's defense has been such a big deal in the news, but it'll have minimal impact on his career trajectory.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Sure.

Like Duda beat Ike Davis.

Enjoy.

8)

Duda beat out Ike Davis legitimately. Not sure what your point is here. Duda wasn't a great player, but he did, in fact, turn out to be a better option than Ike, who was so bad that he had to turn to pitching...

I think Duda is the 25th-percentile outcome of Alonso's career, and he's likely better than that, but, eh, you're not going to budge off your idiotic point. Hopefully you keep an open enough mind that you'll appreciate Alonso's successful career. Probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:

Of course. Defense makes or breaks no 1B in 2018. That's pretty much been my point all along. Alonso's defense has been such a big deal in the news, but it'll have minimal impact on his career trajectory.

Yeah, people will likely never discuss Alonso's defense once he gets to the show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
Hopefully you keep an open enough mind that you'll appreciate Alonso's successful career. Probably not.

I fear Alonso's successful career will benefit him more than the teams that employ him.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Yeah, people will likely never discuss Alonso's defense once he gets to the show.

It's not going to make or break his career. The media will talk themselves into a frenzy about it, sure, because "Mets star hitting prospect is an embarrassment in the field" gets clicks. But the bat is what'll get Alonso paid... Or not paid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:17 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:
Hopefully you keep an open enough mind that you'll appreciate Alonso's successful career. Probably not.

I fear Alonso's successful career will benefit him more than the teams that employ him.

8)

I think the Mets could use a 30+ HR bat right now.

Don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

8)

I think the Mets could use a 30+ HR bat right now.

Don't you?

Don't bother.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 pm 
Rookie

Ike Davis retired today, on that topic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next