?

Post subject: Re: #32 prospect run-off Uriarte vs. Carpio
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 pm 
NYFS Staff

Carpio is still interesting enough.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Carpio doesn't get much press with Gimenez lightyears ahead of him, but he's got a shot. Potentially interesting power/glove combo. 219 average needs to get better though.

I'd like to see more of Uriarte. I'm half way thinking we're overlooking JMM who got top 20 ranking. Carpio was high top 20 in 2015 but that was a long time ago. Uriarte was honorable mention only.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Carpio doesn't get much press with Gimenez lightyears ahead of him, but he's got a shot. Potentially interesting power/glove combo. 219 average needs to get better though.

I'd like to see more of Uriarte. I'm half way thinking we're overlooking JMM who got top 20 ranking. Carpio was high top 20 in 2015 but that was a long time ago. Uriarte was honorable mention only.

Bold is inaccurate. They just named 20 prospects, he was one of them. No rankings.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... prospects/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Bold is inaccurate. They just named 20 prospects, he was one of them. No rankings.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... prospects/

Fair enough, but I don't put much stock in DSL top 20s. As I recall, Uriarte got honorable mention 2017 in Kingsport. Carpio got #7 when he was in Kingsport (from memory).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm 
Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:
Fair enough, but I don't put much stock in DSL top 20s. As I recall, Uriarte got honorable mention 2017 in Kingsport. Carpio got #7 when he was in Kingsport (from memory).

Uriarte was 16th in the Appalachian League in 2017. Carpio was 7th in 2015, but I think his stock is probably down more since then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:37 am 
Rookie

Heavy lean Carpio here. In my particular case he was someone I would have voted for a while back, but just one of those where I've spent a long string of picks on either the Cortes or Gilliam train.

As far as this runoff more specifically, I'm rooting for Uriarte to be interesting. Whereas I know Carpio is interesting. I still don't put it past management that with a hot start he could end up the justification for making a Kazmir-like desperation deal involving Gimenez at some point. As long as you figure Rosario is the future at short.... who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:57 am 
Rookie

I'm fine with Carpio in this range, but talking about him as an alternative to Gimenez or any other legitimate prospect is kinda ridiculous.

Carpio's best traits at this point are still writeups from three years ago liking his potential contact tool, age relative to level, and an uptick in power this season. And a counterpoint to those three traits: he hit .220 this season in his "rebound" year, age relative to level doesn't really mean all that much unless there's projection which I'm not sure there is with Carpio, and I'm not sure anyone is buying into his power tool at all at the ML level even if it's not a 20 like we previously thought. He's a decently interesting lotto ticket but there's still so much uncertainty that it's maybe a bench profile?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I'm fine with Carpio in this range, but talking about him as an alternative to Gimenez or any other legitimate prospect is kinda ridiculous.

Carpio's best traits at this point are still writeups from three years ago liking his potential contact tool, age relative to level, and an uptick in power this season. And a counterpoint to those three traits: he hit .220 this season in his "rebound" year, age relative to level doesn't really mean all that much unless there's projection which I'm not sure there is with Carpio, and I'm not sure anyone is buying into his power tool at all at the ML level even if it's not a 20 like we previously thought. He's a decently interesting lotto ticket but there's still so much uncertainty that it's maybe a bench profile?

Largely agree. Ceiling is very unclear and seems more org player at this stage.

Some have to accept the reality that sometimes the league lists include some misfires.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Bout an hour left!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:58 am 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Largely agree. Ceiling is very unclear and seems more org player at this stage.

Some have to accept the reality that sometimes the league lists include some misfires.

For a long time it seemed we had a lot of big Carpio supporters, even after the shoulder (which is when I originally jumped off the bandwagon), so im a bit surprised the buzz has faded as much as it has around these parts. He was still getting top-20 rating by some sites going into last year, if I remember correctly. If so, I wouldnt think he played his way down more than a few spots, due more to increased system depth than anything. For me, he's never been more interesting. He'll be playing up the middle in Double-A, coming off a power breakout, with a lot of room for BA improvement given a low BABIP.... and at an age where a number of accomplished collegiate players with comparable profiles will be fighting for top-3 round status. don't think he's a stud, more like a 20-25 guy though, and that's not bad for the time missed.