MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets getting "aggresive" for Cano, also Diaz?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

nmigliore wrote:
If you can get Haniger back, then I'm down with Cano... but that really makes no sense for Seattle, neither does giving up Diaz. I know the Cano contract is bad but he's still a good player and that's the definition of throwing good money after bad. Why does dumping Cano have to include giving away one of your most valuable assets? So silly. Martino is just chasing publicity.

For context FG's has Diaz worth 28.1 million last season, Haniger 36.7. So this farcical "ask" from Martino means the Mariners would be paying 78 million in cash + giving up a 30+ million dollar annual asset to avoid paying Cano 120? lol Not happening. Quote me. #Mets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:48 pm 
All Star

Serious question... who's worth more over the next two years...Bruce or Cano?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Serious question... who's worth more over the next two years...Bruce or Cano?

Cano and I'm totally against this deal. But he's the far superior offensive player and can fake it at a far more valuable position. Open market Cano probably gets something like 3 for 50, Bruce would end up with a make good 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

jdawginsc wrote:
Not that I am advocating this at all...because I am not

Cano and Haniger for Bruce and Vargas.

Seattle pays nothing 2019, 2020, 10m in 2021, 12m 2022, 14m in 2023

Net cost for Mets... $2m, $8m, $14m, $12m, $10m
Savings for Seattle... -$2m, -$8m, -$14m, -$12m, -$10m

Mets could then flip Cano with some subsidy for 2019, 2020

I would think if Haniger is in the deal, the Mets would basically be eating the whole thing and would be lucky to get them to take Bruce.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Come on, Martino isn't playing with a full deck. And likewise, DiPoto is crazy but he's not giving up Diaz or Haniger just to get you to eat half of Cano's $. The M's won 89 games. They aren't going full rebuild. They are trying to rearrange deck chairs and clear some $ in the process to get back to being competitive as soon as possible. Dealing away their best cheap & controllable players for nothing isn't going to get them back to contention any time soon.

All that said, can't really put anything past DiPoto, crazy as it sounds to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Don't see the Mariners having much interest in Dom Smith. Evan White is their future at 1b. #Mets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

I would think if Haniger is in the deal, the Mets would basically be eating the whole thing and would be lucky to get them to take Bruce.

Right. I do think this will likely happen with some team if the Ms truly are desperate to clear the salary, but the structure will be something like:

Acquiring team: Cano + most of the $120m owed + controlled Seattle asset to sweeten deal.

Seattle: short-term bad contract from acquiring team + prospect/controlled guy(s) (non-elite value types)

If you want to play on the fantasy the Mets are in, lets call it Cano +$2-3m/year for next 5 years + Edwin Diaz for Jay Bruce, Justin Dunn and Kevin Plawecki.

Mets add $8-9m in 2019, 2020 salary and $21-22m in 2021-2023.

Then its like a separate deal of Dunn and Plaw for Edwin Diaz, which is a bargain because of the salary assumed on Cano.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:23 pm 
NYFS Staff

Ralf wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

Taking on Cano's 120 million for only a $36m subsidy, would be motivation for many teams.

Mets should not be motivated to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:24 pm 
MVP

I actually think this has a really good chance of happening. At some point the M's are going to realize the only way to get rid of Cano is to package him with Diaz or Haniger. Otherwise, Seattle is stuck with him. And the Mets love their over the hill former stars. I really don't want this to happen because I don't think Cano is good plus he's not a good influence. In order to get me to take him they would have to throw in Diaz AND Hanniger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

This whole Cano scenario reeks of a former agent for the player and a certain former Latino GM fawning over a former talent.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
This whole Cano scenario reeks of a former agent for the player and a certain former Latino GM fawning over a former talent.

Absolutely. Will be a strong indicator of bad things to come. Hard to square it with the FO acquisition today tho or just the basic notion that BVW is a smart guy.

Sure the Mets have little in payroll commitments after 2020 so having to suck on as much as $20M/per in '21, '22, and '23 isn't that big a deal (for now). Of course it will matter then about as much as the Wright $ has affected the Mets the past couple of years... which is to say it will matter eventually. And the likelihood of being able to pawn off Cano to another team as he gets even older is practically non-existent.

If this is the only idea the FO has to add talent to the pen, well, I'll pass. I mean, it's like there aren't about a dozen quality RPers available merely for $ right this second...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

How about just spending $14M per on a player who can't go to the movies for half price?

8)

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next