MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets getting "aggresive" for Cano, also Diaz?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah, and I'd be pretty livid if I were an M's fan and they were tearing it all down including some of their young and cheap players just so they can move Cano's $.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Rich Coutinho
@coutinho9
If the Mets could get Cano shed Bruce and get Diaz--That is a deal you MUST make whether Mariners kick in $10 Mil or not--If so Mcneil/Frazier could be 3B platoon and you spend $ on Pen in Free Agency.IMHO Alonso/Rosario save you money at 1B/SS...Its a win win

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:05 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Matt Ehalt ✔
@MattEhalt
There is some buzz about the Mets' chances of getting Cano.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:12 pm 
Manager

MLB Network (Dan O'Dowd) proposed:

METS GET: Cano, Diaz, Mallex Smith
MARINERS GET: Giminez, Bruce, Dunn, Dom Smith

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
This whole Cano scenario reeks of a former agent for the player and a certain former Latino GM fawning over a former talent.

Absolutely. Will be a strong indicator of bad things to come. Hard to square it with the FO acquisition today tho or just the basic notion that BVW is a smart guy.

Sure the Mets have little in payroll commitments after 2020 so having to suck on as much as $20M/per in '21, '22, and '23 isn't that big a deal (for now). Of course it will matter then about as much as the Wright $ has affected the Mets the past couple of years... which is to say it will matter eventually. And the likelihood of being able to pawn off Cano to another team as he gets even older is practically non-existent.

If this is the only idea the FO has to add talent to the pen, well, I'll pass. I mean, it's like there aren't about a dozen quality RPers available merely for $ right this second...

Cano is still a good bat. I'd pencil him in for like ~20% over league average the next 2-3 years pretty comfortably, and he brings an element (not unlike McNeil) that many have noted we lack with the contact approach.

Problem will be defense (another reason why we need the DH). Also those last 2 or so years with $50m tied up in a guy who might look like the most recent Joe Mauer iteration, playing 1B with an empty BA essentially.

I'm not necessarily against this, as its definitely a different approach. And if the terms are anywhere near as favorable as being reported, I mean, man...

But I still don't see this as a Mets move, at all. Would certainly signal that BVW is not some Jeff/Fred puppet, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:16 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I'd rather get Haniger in some version of that deal than Diaz. You'd have solid young players across the OF and 3/4 of the infield.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah, but aside from contact, Cano is a square peg in a round hole just about every other way. He's another LHed bat and will be defensively challenged in 3,2...

Gawwwd, in almost any other market where getting RPing might be hard to do I could almost understand the creativity of this... but heck there are RPers out there for the plucking for goodness sakes and w/o having to tie up this sort of stupid $. Geez, I'd much rather be 'stuck' with Jay Bruce for 2 yrs than Cano for 5. What am I missing..??

I don't usually cite Steve Adams, but as he said a few minutes ago, 'I find this Cano-Mets chatter today pretty ridiculous'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Yeah, but aside from contact, Cano is a square peg in a round hole just about every other way. He's another LHed bat and will be defensively challenged in 3,2...

Gawwwd, in almost any other market where getting RPing might be hard to do I could almost understand the creativity of this... but heck there are RPers out there for the plucking for goodness sakes and w/o having to tie up this sort of stupid $. Geez, I'd much rather be 'stuck' with Jay Bruce for 2 yrs than Cano for 5. What am I missing..??

I don't usually cite Steve Adams, but as he said a few minutes ago, 'I find this Cano-Mets chatter today pretty ridiculous'.

Well, lets take Edwin Diaz being a part of this at face value.

There aren't really many Edwin Diaz's available for the plucking. He's 24 and controlled for 4 years and returns you a draft pick at the end, in all likelihood.

To get an Edwin Diaz, you're probably needing to play in the Craig Kimbrel market and believe Kimbrel's postseason issues were a blip. And whats Kimbrel going to cost? He's probably seeking like 4/80, right? Diaz will wind up making, lets say, $30m over the same time. So you save $50m there.

Thats at least some of the thinking, I would guess. Its not like you're comparing Edwin Diaz to the Anthony Swarzak's of the world.

I guess if nothing else, it signals they want to go big in the bullpen?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
This whole Cano scenario reeks of a former agent for the player and a certain former Latino GM fawning over a former talent.

Absolutely. Will be a strong indicator of bad things to come. Hard to square it with the FO acquisition today tho or just the basic notion that BVW is a smart guy.

Sure the Mets have little in payroll commitments after 2020 so having to suck on as much as $20M/per in '21, '22, and '23 isn't that big a deal (for now). Of course it will matter then about as much as the Wright $ has affected the Mets the past couple of years... which is to say it will matter eventually. And the likelihood of being able to pawn off Cano to another team as he gets even older is practically non-existent.

If this is the only idea the FO has to add talent to the pen, well, I'll pass. I mean, it's like there aren't about a dozen quality RPers available merely for $ right this second...

Cano is still a good bat. I'd pencil him in for like ~20% over league average the next 2-3 years pretty comfortably, and he brings an element (not unlike McNeil) that many have noted we lack with the contact approach.

I'll give you the projection for the next 5 yrs:
'19: 270/330/440 ~ 2.5 fWar
'20: 250/320/400 ~ 2.0
'21: 240/300/360 ~ 1.5
'22: 240/300/350 ~ 0.8
'23: 220/280/330 ~ 0.2

Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Plusses:
1. Adds a 3+ win player to the 2019 infield (McNeil shifts to 3B, Frazier to 1B for April and then supersub thereafter).
2. Sheds Jay Bruce. Cano makes more money but getting Bruce out of the outfield mix opens up some possibilities for the Mets to add another outfielder (if they don’t get back Haniger or Mallex).
3. Improves bullpen. You get an elite-level closer in Diaz who is controlled through 2022.
4. Frazier becoming a super-sub makes it easier to non-tender Flores and save money there.

Franchise Player

Mogriffjr wrote:
MLB Network (Dan O'Dowd) proposed:

METS GET: Cano, Diaz, Mallex Smith
MARINERS GET: Giminez, Bruce, Dunn, Dom Smith

That's why he's not a GM anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Well, lets take Edwin Diaz being a part of this at face value.

There aren't really many Edwin Diaz's available for the plucking. He's 24 and controlled for 4 years and returns you a draft pick at the end, in all likelihood.

To get an Edwin Diaz, you're probably needing to play in the Craig Kimbrel market and believe Kimbrel's postseason issues were a blip. And whats Kimbrel going to cost? He's probably seeking like 4/80, right? Diaz will wind up making, lets say, $30m over the same time. So you save $50m there.

Thats at least some of the thinking, I would guess. Its not like you're comparing Edwin Diaz to the Anthony Swarzak's of the world.

I guess if nothing else, it signals they want to go big in the bullpen?

And for that $80M they could sign Britton, Familia and maybe have $ left over for Kelvin Herrera or Soria...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next