MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz are Mets
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:22 pm 
General Manager

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
If that presser didn't excite you - go root for the Yankees!

At least the Yankee pressers would be longer than five minutes lol.

Granted it sounds like at least SNY got interviews provided you could watch it midday but they did the same thing with Brodie’s intro, seems whoever replaced Jay is catering to the writers and media over the fans. I actually wanted to listen to BVW, Cano and Diaz talk while I was in the car on the radio, I don’t need to hear them do canned interviews several hours later.

They might as well just start calling these introductory pressers what they really are now - photo ops for the press.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

nmigliore wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I think 3-4 year window is a little generous, it’s more like a two year window as presently constituted. Jake is either gone or making $25-30 million after two years. Ces will be gone by then, Wheeler will be gone or making $15-20 million. Cano will be a lot higher of a question mark in year #3 than the next two years, same with Kluber if they trade for him.

Yeah it's most certainly a 2-year window. Thor and Conforto would also be entering their last year of control (pending any extensions, obviously) in 2022. The time to win is now with an emphasis on 2019 while Wheeler is still around, Cano being 36, and the arbitration core (deGrom, Thor, Conforto) getting more expensive.

It's teetering on getting into the danger zone where they will push more chips in to get closer to the 90 win mark... which obviously on its own is a good thing, but it concerns me where it could leave them if it doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
If that presser didn't excite you - go root for the Yankees!

At least the Yankee pressers would be longer than five minutes lol.

Granted it sounds like at least SNY got interviews provided you could watch it midday but they did the same thing with Brodie’s intro, seems whoever replaced Jay is catering to the writers and media over the fans. I actually wanted to listen to BVW, Cano and Diaz talk while I was in the car on the radio, I don’t need to hear them do canned interviews several hours later.

They might as well just start calling these introductory pressers what they really are now - photo ops for the press.

Isn't it the opposite? Rather than granting fuller access for questions to every writer assembled, they're doing quick Q&A generally and then putting the guys on SNY for fans to watch one on one interviews.

I would say its a more viewer-friendly, writer-unfriendly approach.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm 
All Star

So Jeff was taking a shot at Sandy?

Wilpon said. "He's got his fingers in everything right now. I haven't seen anyone with this much drive and determination in a long time."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

“I did talk to Brodie, ‘OK, let’s make the first move that you do (a large one), because your first is always your first,’” said Wilpon, the Mets’ chief operating officer. “And knowing that this was his first deal, I like that it’s a bigger deal than just a run-of-the-mill deal that wouldn’t have (reporters) out here today.”

LOL. Was Sandy's first move the Hu for Antonini blockbuster? Or was that just his first trade?

Maybe DJ Carrasco?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
“I did talk to Brodie, ‘OK, let’s make the first move that you do (a large one), because your first is always your first,’” said Wilpon, the Mets’ chief operating officer. “And knowing that this was his first deal, I like that it’s a bigger deal than just a run-of-the-mill deal that wouldn’t have (reporters) out here today.”

LOL. Was Sandy's first move the Hu for Antonini blockbuster? Or was that just his first trade?

Maybe DJ Carrasco?

Wright extension. :lol:

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Maybe DJ Carrasco?

Wright extension. :lol:

Nah that wasn't til 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Haha went back and looked. Quite an offseason.

I'm gonna ignore the minor league signings as I'm not counting Ryan ORourke or Dilson Herrera to BVW.

1st Moves:

Addition: Both RONNY PAULINO and DJ CARRASCO at the Winter Meetings.
Rule 5: Brad Emaus and Pedro Beato selected.
Deletion: Hisa Takahashi was released prior to the Winter Meetings per his contract stip.
Trade: Antonini for Hu was 2 weeks after the WM.

Hahaha.

January was quite a month, with Taylor Buchholz, Chris Capuano, TayTank, Willie Harris, Scott Hairston, Chris Young, Blaine Boyer, and Tim Byrdak ALL added!!!

February kicked in with even MORE additions: Dale Thayer, Casey Fossum, Izzy, and Jack Egbert.

March gave us Les Walron (who can forget Les Walrond!?), and the releases of Ollie and Castillo. We also released Les Walrond.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Haha went back and looked. Quite an offseason.

I'm gonna ignore the minor league signings as I'm not counting Ryan ORourke or Dilson Herrera to BVW.

1st Moves:

Addition: Both RONNY PAULINO and DJ CARRASCO at the Winter Meetings.
Rule 5: Brad Emaus and Pedro Beato selected.
Deletion: Hisa Takahashi was released prior to the Winter Meetings per his contract stip.
Trade: Antonini for Hu was 2 weeks after the WM.

Hahaha.

January was quite a month, with Taylor Buchholz, Chris Capuano, TayTank, Willie Harris, Scott Hairston, Chris Young, Blaine Boyer, and Tim Byrdak ALL added!!!

February kicked in with even MORE additions: Dale Thayer, Casey Fossum, Izzy, and Jack Egbert.

March gave us Les Walron (who can forget Les Walrond!?), and the releases of Ollie and Castillo. We also released Les Walrond.

I remember the Carrasco signing vividly. I openly thought it was a horrible signing. You people laughed at me. Should have pulled a "Carrie" :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I just realized BRef (where I got that from) doesn't delineate between MLB and MiLB signings so a lot of those I included were in fact minor league pacts. Just so many recognizable names!

TayTank, Willie, Hairston, Boyer, Byrdak, Thayer, Fossum, Izzy, Egbert and Waldron were all milb pacts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 pm 
General Manager

So Jeff was taking a shot at Sandy?

Wilpon said. "He's got his fingers in everything right now. I haven't seen anyone with this much drive and determination in a long time."

Jeff already took a shot at him saying Brodie's was the hiring he and Fred were most excited about for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 am 
Franchise Player

Although this is not the thread, I enjoyed the Sandy tenure. No need to take shots. They made it to the World Series. I commend Sandy for providing a stable hand and directing the franchise toward a medium amount of respectability.

We just traded for a 36 year old due 120M. Get cute with the salaries traded, but I’m not sure the Mets will. He’s gonna play everyday. The Mets don’t do well with dead money. I really don’t understand. Cano is good but he’s gonna be freaking 40 and still a Met. The Mets are gonna sit him?? They’re gonna eat his contract? Who will trade for him. Not a question when you consider he was suspended for a diuretic, NOT a PED right Brodie?, got offseason knee surgery, and makes more than the rest of the starting lineup combined.

And cool. Diaz. He’s good. But he’s a reliever. Okay. Cool. Whatever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next