MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Love it! 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Like it! 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
It's fine! 32%  32%  [ 18 ]
It's terrible! 37%  37%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 57
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the trade?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 am 
Franchise Player

I didn't like it but it's done. I'm excited about the addition of Edwin Diaz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
As much as I like Kelenic, I think some are overestimating him.

I agree with this exact statement. I like Kelenic, and it hurts to give him up, but you'd think he was a top 20 prospect in baseball with some of the reactions. Kiley McDaniel graded him as a 50 FV and has him at the back-end of the top 100.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:50 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

nmigliore wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

I agree with this exact statement. I like Kelenic, and it hurts to give him up, but you'd think he was a top 20 prospect in baseball with some of the reactions. Kiley McDaniel graded him as a 50 FV and has him at the back-end of the top 100.

But he was in the Mets system, so therefore, overreaction here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:12 am 
Franchise Player

nmigliore wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Yeah, seeing this and a Darin Erstad comp makes this all the more palatable. It's not like we trade an Eloy Jimenez or Fernando Jr.. Although I like the trade regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:16 am 
Practically A Wilpon

TomInNC wrote:
nmigliore wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

But he was in the Mets system, so therefore, overreaction here.

This needs to be said again:

It isn’t trading prospects that’s being disputed here. It’s investing them (and $64m) in a 36-year old middle infielder coming off a PED suspension and a closer when there are literally 5 available for just money.

Fire Brodie!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't understand the comparisons of Diaz to the free agent relievers. Diaz is better than all of them. He's younger than all of them. Perhaps most importantly, because he's pre-arb, adding Diaz doesn't preclude the Mets from still signing one (or more) of said free agent relievers. Prior to this trade, I wanted the Mets to sign one or both of Robertson and Soria. They can still do that to pair with Diaz for a shutdown late-game bullpen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

nmigliore wrote:
I don't understand the comparisons of Diaz to the free agent relievers. Diaz is better than all of them. He's younger than all of them. Perhaps most importantly, because he's pre-arb, adding Diaz doesn't preclude the Mets from still signing one (or more) of said free agent relievers. Prior to this trade, I wanted the Mets to sign one or both of Robertson and Soria. They can still do that to pair with Diaz for a shutdown late-game bullpen.

The easiest job in baseball is closing for a bad team.

The hardest job in baseball is closing for a good team.

We'll see how much better he is when he has to get a tough out.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
nmigliore wrote:

8)

I don't think Diaz will be the problem at all. I DO think there will be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
and a closer when there are literally 5 available for just money.

You're in favor of Cervelli, right?

Why trade for him when CATCHERS Drew Butera and Caleb Joseph are available for just money?

There are no Edwin Diaz's available for just money. Quite frankly, other than this special set of circumstances, Edwin Diaz's don't come available for trade all that often (if ever), either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
nmigliore wrote:

8)

You mean like for a 90 win team?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am 
Manager

Anyone want to tell Nitey the Mariners won 89 games last year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
nmigliore wrote:

8)

oh really..?

the M's won 89 games btw. Were in 1st place for half of June and 3.5 GB as late as Aug 20. I'd say he pitched in plenty of pressure situations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next