MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martino: DeGrom won't discuss extension post opening day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think it's pretty clear what is going on here. The Wilpons see Harper and Machado unlikely to get the money expected, they see Kimbrel unlikely to get the money expected etc so they are slowing down/not engaging because they are angling to hop on with DeGrom having to settle for less than anticipated. They know they don't "have to" speak to DeGrom at all. He's under contract. It's just a dirty way to handle your star player after telling him you would.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Finally a move by the Mets FO I can support.

Use Degrom up, let another team pay for the backend of his career.

Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point. Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss, and I can get every national accounting firm to agree with me. - Paul Beeston, CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I've never had a problem with keeping my players in a perpetual salary drive.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm 
Veteran Presence

I'm fine with deGrom not discussing an extension during the season.

I'm not fine with him self-imposing usage restrictions. Ridiculous, even if it's just a negotiation tactic. He knew what the deal was when he signed his first pro contract with regards to team control, arb. years, etc. Deciding for purely monetary reasons that you don't have to give the team your all for the duration of a deal YOU AGREED TO is pathetic.

If he starts pulling himself at 90 pitches or 6 innings with regularity I hope the Citi Field faithful start booing him without mercy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm 
General Manager

Yeah I would hope that's just an agent saber-rattling cause that's Harvey-type diva stuff, and deGrom's literally the last player I would expect that from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The Juice wrote:

I'm not fine with him self-imposing usage restrictions. Ridiculous, even if it's just a negotiation tactic. He knew what the deal was when he signed his first pro contract with regards to team control, arb. years, etc. Deciding for purely monetary reasons that you don't have to give the team your all for the duration of a deal YOU AGREED TO is pathetic.

If he starts pulling himself at 90 pitches or 6 innings with regularity I hope the Citi Field faithful start booing him without mercy.

In fairness, his agent has said it's something he would consider for his clients BEFORE this story broke so it's not as if DeGrom came out and said he would. It's being suggested he could given his agents comments previously.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:33 pm 
Franchise Player

I’ve always believed (I think I have) in rewarding good play monetarily. I would re-sign every homegrown star from here to Reyes pre-abuser status. I like when Mets stay Mets when they perform. This post is meaningless in regards to optimum roster construction and the smart allocation of resources. I don’t care if the Mets as a business makes money or loses money. Actually I hope they lose money some years because some years I hate the Mets. Like last year. Hated the Mets last year. But man deGrom was something wasn’t he? He was worth at least 100M fan experience points last year and I spent those points. So like whatever. Pay him. Better deGrom than old arse Robbie Cano.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm 
General Manager

Nutsacjac wrote:
Finally a move by the Mets FO I can support.

Use Degrom up, let another team pay for the backend of his career.

If you're going with the total cold-blooded philosophy that's one thing...but don't tell the guy you're going to negotiate with him then refuse to even speak with him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The Juice wrote:

This comes from Jeff Berry's memo on the state of player relations from back in December iirc. In it he mentioned several ways that players (via the union) could react to the way they see teams systematically hurting the players for non-performance reasons- service time shenanigans, DL abuses, and even SPer and position player playing time irregularities. He said (paraphrasing) they would commission a study to effectively determine most efficient usage patterns and that could yield a reduction in stress on the athletes that would yield better results. I think they (Berry/deGrom) are referring to that and so would claim that it's their way to contribute to maximizing results.

Basically, they are saying that if teams are going to screw with the players ability to maximize their earnings, then the players reserve the right to have a say in how they are used also.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

That being said.... July

“We have discussed Jacob’s future with the Mets at length. Jacob has expressed interest in exploring a long-term partnership that would keep him in a Mets uniform for years to come...

If the Mets don’t share same interest, we believe their best course of action is to seriously consider trade opportunities now. The inertia of current situation could complicate Jacob’s relationship with the club and creates an atmosphere of indecision.”

Brodie is that egg scrambled or once over easy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm 
Franchise Player

AllWrightNow wrote:
...that's Harvey-type diva stuff...

I think it’s easy to call Harvey a diva, but I don’t agree with it. He kind of ruined his career pitching for the Mets. He blew his arm out, came back, and tried to win a World Series. This probably led to more injuries and decreased effectiveness. I don’t know. There was a bunch of noise around him always. I look at it like he gave his all for a losing cause.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

It will get done, or it won't.

It will be both sides' faults if it doesn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next