MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martino: DeGrom won't discuss extension post opening day
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

What's your level of confidence that deGrom is going to give you 30 starts/180 innings when he's 35?

Mine is not high.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:42 am 
All Star

I wouldn't worry about 180 innings for his age 35 season. Not a lot of mileage on that arm.

BUT,I would hope to taper off the back years of any extension the way they did with DW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

I could be wrong, but deGrom strikes me as more fluid, less effort, so I think he could be good for a while. Contract extensions are always tricky and uncertain though. Extending Wright was a financial waste, even with the insurance money. Cespedes wasn't close to being worth the extension he got and Lagares didn't earn his money.

Dickey's the only one who worked out (even though they wisely traded him), but his contract was seen as really generous at the time, and 36 million for 7.3 WAR for those 3 seasons isn't bad but it's not knocking it out of the park.

The Jon Niese extension wasn't bad though he was kinda crappy during the extension years, but it was a smart play at the time. But on average, the mets have lost more often than they've won with extensions.

All that said, I still think the Mets made mistakes with non extensions. They should have extended deGrom a year or two ago. Harvey got injured early and he's Boras, so . . . different discussion there. Conforto too, the not so good 2nd season, the injury and Boras changes the discussion, but they should look at extending Nimmo & Rosario next year or the year after if both are steady.

Matz is more tricky, he's never pitched a full season and I wouldn't extend Wheeler based on just 4 months last year, so maybe it's just deGrom that they messed up, and I said the same thing for Murphy a few years ago. He was consistent and reliable and extending him would have been smart. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I think extending useful players early makes sense.

DeGrom's tougher now cause he's making 17 this year and guaranteed more than that next year. He could be looking at a 150 million dollar contract if he makes free agency, so I kind of get them not signing him now, cause the two parties might be too far apart. Mets waited too long.

Sorry if I'm over-talking this, but I think the mets are too timid with extensions, extensions should happen early. I get that they've not always worked out, but I think they've made that mistake too often.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:00 am 
MVP

Metro2007 wrote:
Boom.

"Part of the frustration from deGrom's camp stems from the Mets telling them two months ago that an offer would come, and there has been none yet."

The Mets have been talking about making him an offer since last year. I don't get why they're dragging their feet so much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 pm 
General Manager

Metsfan980 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Boom.

"Part of the frustration from deGrom's camp stems from the Mets telling them two months ago that an offer would come, and there has been none yet."

The Mets have been talking about making him an offer since last year. I don't get why they're dragging their feet so much.

The Mets are acting like the girl you ask out who never wants to actually say no but always gives excuses to string you along and put it off till you get the hint.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm 
Manager

Seems like both sides are optimistic a deal will be reached by the deadline next week...

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm 
MVP

Quote:
Negotiations between the Mets and ace Jacob deGrom are ongoing, with optimism in some corners that the sides will reach a deal by next Thursday's self-imposed deadline.

As of Monday morning, an agreement was not imminent, but the Mets and deGrom's reps continued to hammer away behind the scenes. SNY has previously reported that deGrom is seeking a deal of approximately five years and $150 million; it is not known what type of deal the sides are currently discussing.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-jacob ... /305365472

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 am 
All Star

5x30? Everyone loves him, but in two years he could be a former Cy Young winner on the wrong side of 30. How's that working out for Dallas Keuchel?

There has to be a fair balance using incentives that gives him the potential of 30+ per year but protects the Mets in case of disaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 am 
NYFS Staff

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
5x30? Everyone loves him, but in two years he could be a former Cy Young winner on the wrong side of 30. How's that working out for Dallas Keuchel?

There has to be a fair balance using incentives that gives him the potential of 30+ per year but protects the Mets in case of disaster

You never know. Verlander almost won the Cy Young last year at 35. 215 IP, 290 K. Beast. Scherzer is still rolling along. Any contract is a risk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:

It's never an easy call, and 5-30 guaranteed is a lot, but Keuchel had 2 legit #1 seasons. Two seasons where he missed some time, 2016 and 2017 and a 2.6 war last year. He's averaged 2.3 war over his last 3 seasons, so he's not exactly a fair comparison.

David Price, for comparison had a 13.3 war over his last 3 seasons before being overpaid by the Massachusettes Yankees. His 9.0 war over 3 years in Boston is arguably a disapointment and a fall from his 4.1 per year the prior 3, but he also missed half of his 2018 season, so 9.0 war over 2.5 . . . that's about in line with what they should have expected.

deGrom's right now a free agent in 2020, so the mets have only 1 year of control left. His final 3 years if he hits free agency would be 2017-2019 and he's already got a 14 war over 2 of those years. A case could be made that if he has a good year this year, he could be looking at 200 million plus.

It's never an easy decision but I think his 5-150 ask is a fair ask from the players side and the mets will talk him down a bit, maybe give him an opt-out in 2 or 3 years or shave it down to 5-139 with some delayed money, to edge out David Wright's contract or 4-120 or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am 
NYFS Staff

Offer him 5/$130 and see if he bites. Mets get a home town discount. deG gets security.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:27 am 
NYFS Staff

Dog wrote:
Offer him 5/$130 and see if he bites. Mets get a home town discount. deG gets security.

He is not biting a potato chip...that's only $26 per year...though it would be a nice starting point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next