Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: Martino: DeGrom won't discuss extension post opening day

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 am

jdawginsc wrote:
Dog wrote:Offer him 5/$130 and see if he bites. Mets get a home town discount. deG gets security.

He is not biting a potato chip...that's only $26 per year...though it would be a nice starting point.

$130M is alotta meat

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 am

jdawginsc wrote:
Dog wrote:Offer him 5/$130 and see if he bites. Mets get a home town discount. deG gets security.

He is not biting a potato chip...that's only $26 per year...though it would be a nice starting point.

Start there and add $500,000 per start for anything over 25 starts in the last 3 years

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm

5 for 150 is very fair. If he was a couple years younger he'd be looking for an 8-10 year deal. Take the hometown discount you are being gifted, plan a three-year window of contention while you have Thor and DeGrom, and hope for the best.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I just can't extend deGrom knowing the Mets won't digest a single penny of dead money.

I would just enjoy the years of control and hope he leaves on a high note.

8)

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm

R Nitelight wrote:I just can't extend deGrom knowing the Mets won't digest a single penny of dead money.

I would just enjoy the years of control and hope he leaves on a high note.

8)

So you're prepared for the Mets to be an utter dumpster fire after 2020. likely no Wheeler, no DeGrom, no clear replacements for either internally.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Metro2007 wrote:

So you're prepared for the Mets to be an utter dumpster fire after 2020. likely no Wheeler, no DeGrom, no clear replacements for either internally.

I've been a Met fan since they acquired George Foster.

You think a little dumpster fire is going to scare me off?

8)

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Ahh yes, the theory that any invest could go bust, so henceforthwith, make no investments! Never have to suffer a minute of downside risk!

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:Ahh yes, the theory that any invest could go bust, so henceforthwith, make no investments! Never have to suffer a minute of downside risk!

As opposed to the theory that giving long-term contracts to 30+ pitchers doesn't turn out poorly 95% of the time.

8)

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:51 pm

R Nitelight wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:Ahh yes, the theory that any invest could go bust, so henceforthwith, make no investments! Never have to suffer a minute of downside risk!

As opposed to the theory that giving long-term contracts to 30+ pitchers doesn't turn out poorly 95% of the time.

8)

deGrom is not an average case. Not to mention that a couple of recent big ones have worked out pretty well - Verlander, Scherzer, Greinke...

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 pm

R Nitelight wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

I've been a Met fan since they acquired George Foster.

You think a little dumpster fire is going to scare me off?

8)

Best quote of the pre-season hahaha..... I view DeGrom in a different light though. This is a bargain price for this type of talent, and I do think this particular pitcher mixes stuff with finesse in a way that should help him age better than most.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Nitey was probably happy they traded Seaver for all those prospects. The old man was 32 and no doubt washed up

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:54 pm

TomInNC wrote:Nitey was probably happy they traded Seaver for all those prospects. The old man was 32 and no doubt washed up

I was thrilled.

But I was a Reds fan.

Ergo following George Foster here......

8)
Post a reply