MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Martino: DeGrom won't discuss extension post opening day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:03 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

So why aren't you a White Sox fan?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:03 pm 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Nitey was probably happy they traded Seaver for all those prospects. The old man was 32 and no doubt washed up

I was thrilled.

But I was a Reds fan.

Ergo following George Foster here......

8)

That was quite the free agent bust!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:

Greatest trade in Met history.

They got me!!!!!

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

They got me!!!!!

8)

I definitely thought he was going to add excitement at the time.

Wasn't it a free agent deal?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

They got me!!!!!

8)

I definitely thought he was going to add excitement at the time.

Wasn't it a free agent deal?

Pretty sure it was a trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 pm 
NYFS Staff

Re: Foster

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ge01.shtml

February 10, 1982: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the New York Mets for Greg Harris, Jim Kern and Alex Trevino.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 pm 
NYFS Staff

chinabox wrote:

February 10, 1982: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the New York Mets for Greg Harris, Jim Kern and Alex Trevino.

That's what I get for trusting my memory instead of a short trip to google...eek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:41 am 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:
Nitey was probably happy they traded Seaver for all those prospects. The old man was 32 and no doubt washed up

I remember that trade well. As a Mets and Reds fan (I fell in love with the star power of the Reds as a kid, I even rooted for them over the mets when they met in the playoffs in 1973). I rooted for the Mets over the A's though.

But I remember being optimistic on the Seaver trade because I liked Zachary, I liked Henderson and I read somewhere that Dan Norman was even better than Henderson. (Norman never made an impact). Doug Flynn was Bud Harrelson light, and the mets were going nowhere, so I liked the trade for both teams. I had friends who hated it though.

That was such a brutal time to be a mets fan.

And, I didn't know it at the time, but the Reds were crashing too. Marge Schott, apart from her wonderful racist tendencies, was a bad owner who tried to build around older players. After adding Seaver she tried to add Vida Blue. MLB blocked the trade saying the Reds would be too good if that happened, which was a joke because without Vida Blue, the Seaver Reds between 1977 and 1982 (Seaver was only effective through 1981), but anyway, over those 6 years they made the playoffs just once. With Vida, they'd have had a shot at a few more division titles, probably playoffs more often, but I don't think they'd have been a "powerhouse" in baseball, just a playoff team. Without Vida, only 1 playoff appearance when they won the division by just one game. Though they were robbed in 1981. Best record in baseball but no playoffs.

But . . . I digress. It's funny to look back at a time when the Reds were the big spenders in the national league.

1981 I went off to college & became a loyal mets fan after that - haven't even considered leaving since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 am 
Everyday Player

chinabox wrote:

I was always sorry that "The Emu" never got a chance to pitch here. They grabbed him earlier in the winter for Doug Flynn, so he never suited up for the Mets. Quite the character.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 am 
All Star

I had an old baseball card of Jim Kern from 1978 I believe. He looked just like David Letterman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7