Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: Mets acquire RHP Wilmer Font from Rays

Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

sluger11787 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:There is no way the return is a player anywhere close to being as good as Toffey. I'm not sure what the conditions are, but there's probably a good chance it ends up just being cash.

That wouldn’t make a ton of sense for Tampa as there had to be some inducement to the move- Font hasn’t been DFA’ed or anything.

That said there is likely a place between a top 20 prospect and $5 that the return falls into.

Idk, these PTBNL or cash trades tend to end up being just cash (or someone of virtually no significance). Did we ever get a body from the Phillies for Jose Bautista?

Well that’s an entirely different circumstance no? That’s the non contending Mets doing a 40 yr old they didn’t control past the season a solid. This is the Rays dumping a guy they had 5 years of control over who throws 96 with a 3.7ish FIP in 40 innings for them.

I get WHY the Rays wouldn’t demand a ransom for him but they presumably had to be convinced to move him for something. Again, not like he was DFAed and had to be moved.

Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 pm

For example, Font was twice DFAed and twice returned a warm body last year despite being hit HARD prior to those DFAs in previous stops.

He had found some modicum of success for the Arya’s so find it hard to believe it’s just a cash dump.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 pm

After reading Marc Tompkin's piece on the trade, I think we're overstating Font's value to the Rays. Sounds like he was basically jettisoned. I'll stand by my original comment that the player heading to TB will be somebody no where close to Toffey in value.

Link

I didn't realize he missed the entire second half last year with a lat injury.

Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm

sluger11787 wrote:After reading Marc Tompkin's piece on the trade, I think we're overstating Font's value to the Rays. Sounds like he was basically jettisoned. I'll stand by my original comment that the player heading to TB will be somebody no where close to Toffey in value.

Link

Yeah, this will almost certainly be a low level lottery ticket. Font was a nice story last year but the guy has pretty limited value to the Rays if they can't swing him on and off of the active roster. And since he wasn't able to establish himself any higher than 11th or 12th man in the pecking order of a pitching staff, it's hard to say he's got top 30 prospect value... he may yet get established with someone who has the innings to give him such an opportunity, but you wish him well and move on if you're the Rays.

No one is going to give up real prospect value for the last guy in someone's pen. Maybe you get someone like a JMM who has some tools but appears stalled in low A at 22...

Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 pm

sluger11787 wrote:After reading Marc Tompkin's piece on the trade, I think we're overstating Font's value to the Rays. Sounds like he was basically jettisoned. I'll stand by my original comment that the player heading to TB will be somebody no where close to Toffey in value.

Link

Oh I never said Will Toffey. I said I thought somewhere between the top 20 prospect some are fearing and the $5 bill others are claiming.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:47 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Link

Oh I never said Will Toffey. I said I thought somewhere between the top 20 prospect some are fearing and the $5 bill others are claiming.

I mentioned Toffey as the absolute most they could expect. After reading a bit, I am at a price much lower...like a Kaz, or Winaker type.

Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 pm

jdawginsc wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Link

I mentioned Toffey as the absolute most they could expect. After reading a bit, I am at a price much lower...like a Kaz, or Winaker type.

The two guys who Font were traded for last year were older A ball arms with big K numbers but not much else. I could see this as like a Joe Zanghi or Joe Shaw type of return.

Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Looks like he's starting tomorrow.

Tue May 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Mogriffjr wrote:Looks like he's starting tomorrow.

Matz' spot. Matz isn't on the DL though, just skipping a start.

Thor - tonight
Font - 5/8
No game 5/9
Wheeler 5/10
deGrom 5/11
Thor 5/12
no game 5/13
Font or Matz 5/14
Wheeler 5/15
deGrom 5/16
Thor 5/17 . . . (Vargas can come back 5/16)
Vargas 5/18
Matz 5/19

Something like that. I'm just running the days forward.

Any word on Lockett?

Tue May 07, 2019 10:26 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:Looks like he's starting tomorrow.

Matz' spot. Matz isn't on the DL though, just skipping a start.

Thor - tonight
Font - 5/8
No game 5/9
Wheeler 5/10
deGrom 5/11
Thor 5/12
no game 5/13
Font or Matz 5/14
Wheeler 5/15
deGrom 5/16
Thor 5/17 . . . (Vargas can come back 5/16)
Vargas 5/18
Matz 5/19

Something like that. I'm just running the days forward.

Any word on Lockett?

If that was the plan, Matz would be on the DL since it'd be more than 10 days between starts.

Wed May 08, 2019 1:55 am

sluger11787 wrote:
If that was the plan, Matz would be on the DL since it'd be more than 10 days between starts.

Maybe an official decision hasn't been made, but if Matz skips a start, he probably should have gone on the 10 day.

Wed May 08, 2019 9:19 am

LTKfRGM wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:Any word on Lockett?

Yes. He stinks.
Post a reply