MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets acquire RHP Wilmer Font from Rays
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:21 pm 
General Manager

We could get meaningful IP not will get. Font is still an unknown so to give up someone who has some potential helium seems like a bad idea to me. It's not the end of the world but you'd like to see us get someone back who has a little more consistent track record.

Also citing what the previous teams gave up to acquire Font is not the same because we have more of a view of him at the major league level than they did.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

zaknim wrote:
We could get meaningful IP not will get. Font is still an unknown so to give up someone who has some potential helium seems like a bad idea to me. It's not the end of the world but you'd like to see us get someone back who has a little more consistent track record.

Also citing what the previous teams gave up to acquire Font is not the same because we have more of a view of him at the major league level than they did.

To get someone with more consistent track record, you're not dealing an 18 yr old IFA who has yet to throw a pro pitch after a 10th round ish signing bonus.

And citing what previous teams gave up is absolutely relevant. They did that last year when he was on DFA with NO major league success. Since Tampa traded for him he's thrown 40 major league innings with a 3.8 FIP. The price should be higher today than it was last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm 
NYFS Staff

Can't say I had heard of him before. Sounds like a nice arm for the Rays though. Probably someone they tried to sign in IFA. Now they get their guy without having to fork over the signing bonus.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Also we've seen this whole "smart teams are pilfering the Mets minor leagues" nonsense spewed a lot. Nobody has brought up those supposed steals the Astros and Brewers got from us in a while.

These are trades. They need to include some incentive going back the other way.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 pm 
General Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
zaknim wrote:

To get someone with more consistent track record, you're not dealing an 18 yr old IFA who has yet to throw a pro pitch after a 10th round ish signing bonus.

And citing what previous teams gave up is absolutely relevant. They did that last year when he was on DFA with NO major league success. Since Tampa traded for him he's thrown 40 major league innings with a 3.8 FIP. The price should be higher today than it was last year.

If Tampa thought he really figured something out with them and not revert back I don't see them trading him.

As for track record you could probably give up someone with that profile for a pitcher with a better than 6 career FIP.

Like I said it's not the end of the world but if Catalina looks like a pitcher in his stateside debut that has some helium in him I don't view the deal as a net positive and that's if Font doesn't flame out with us regardless.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 pm 
General Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Also we've seen this whole "smart teams are pilfering the Mets minor leagues" nonsense spewed a lot. Nobody has brought up those supposed steals the Astros and Brewers got from us in a while.

I'd much rather have Adam Hill back over Keon Broxton.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm 
Manager

Part of this seems to be the thinking that the Rays are smart so they must know something about this guy! So naturally the Mets are getting fleeced here.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

zaknim wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

With hindsight, anyone can do this. But this was the deal that made the least amount of sense given that Broxton was out of options.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
zaknim wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

With hindsight, anyone can do this.

Hill has been OK. There was a lot of hand wringing over Scott Manea and Ross Adolph and how Houston stole those guys. How's that looking?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

zaknim wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
zaknim wrote:

If Tampa thought he really figured something out with them and not revert back I don't see them trading him.

As for track record you could probably give up someone with that profile for a pitcher with a better than 6 career FIP.

Like I said it's not the end of the world but if Catalina looks like a pitcher in his stateside debut that has some helium in him I don't view the deal as a net positive and that's if Font doesn't flame out with us regardless.

You’re overthinking it. At this stage, Font is no better or worse than a middle inning arm and spot starter. But the Rays are pretty deep in this commodity and with Font being out of options, they struck while the iron was hot (another team looking to fill a pen role). That’s really it... taking advantage of the market.... not that the Rays know that he’s going to turn into a pumpkin at 12 o’clock.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am 
Fan Favorite

Lets see what the kid has tonight. I thought he looked solid in SD before he the quick hook.

Where Are my Shades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you build from within, we will WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never underestimate the HEART OF A MAVERICK AND A CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won’t matter what we do . We are the Mets it won’t work out!!!! No matter what we do, as long as we are owned by the COUPONS we will always be cursed. #CouponCurse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am 
NYFS Staff

Tonight has the makings of a 7-1 Nats win with Corbin on the hill but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I expect Gsellman to get alotta work tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next