Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Alonso and the Mets single season home run record

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 am

I haven't seen much conversation about his HR pace on this board, so I figured I'd start something up.

He has 21 HR through 64 games (the Mets have played 65 games).

He's on pace to play ~160 games this season, and he hits a HR in ~33% of his games played. That puts him on pace for 52 HR by the end of the season.

The Mets single season HR record is 41, set by Todd Hundley in 1996 and tied by Carlos Beltran in 2006. Alonso is currently on pace to break that record by the Mets 128th game of the season, which is Friday, August 23rd.

The Mets single season HR record by a rookie is 26, set by Daryl Strawberry in 1983. Alonso is on pace to break that record by the Mets 82nd game of the season, which is Thursday, June 27th.

This is an insane rookie season.

And the all time rookie record for HR in a season is 52, set by Aaron Judge in 2017. Alonso is on pace to tie that record.

Re: Alonso and the Mets single season home run record

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 am

Thank you Sandy.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

I believe I read that the record for homeruns in the season you played your first game (no September callups) is 39

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:38 am

TomInNC wrote:I believe I read that the record for homeruns in the season you played your first game (no September callups) is 39

Possibly Cody Bellinger?

What makes Bellinger’s rookie season even more remarkable is that he wasn’t called up from Triple-A Oklahoma City until Apr. 25, spending the first 20 games of the season in the minors. His 39 home runs in his first 124 career games rank second in major league history to McGwire, who hit 42.

https://www.truebluela.com/2017/9/22/16 ... ue-dodgers

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:51 am

I'd say he'll top the 41 IF He does not play in the HR derby

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:08 pm

His K/BB scare me a bit, bottom 3 in both among regular 1b in the NL. He will have to improve there imo to keep this sustainable long term. He needs to walk 5% more and strike out 5% less. He does chase a bit often. That will cause his average/babip to go up more most likely.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm

If he breaks 32 a lot of catchers need to lose their jobs.

8)

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:05 pm

R Nitelight wrote:If he breaks 32 a lot of catchers need to lose their jobs.

8)

Well that's a hot take

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 pm

jamaicanjetfan wrote:
Well that's a hot take

That's why I make the big bucks......

8)

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Good way to back up a weak opinion. Blame your wrong take on someone else.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm

TomInNC wrote:Good way to back up a weak opinion. Blame your wrong take on someone else.

Wouldn't know. Didn't have one.

8)

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:24 pm

johnnymets176 wrote:His K/BB scare me a bit, bottom 3 in both among regular 1b in the NL. He will have to improve there imo to keep this sustainable long term. He needs to walk 5% more and strike out 5% less. He does chase a bit often. That will cause his average/babip to go up more most likely.

He's a rookie. Give it time
Post a reply