MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Alonso and the Mets single season home run record
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:46 am 
Franchise Player

chinabox wrote:
This thread is so quaint now!

:D

He beat his pace, and he broke a record!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:33 am 
Practically A Wilpon

Congrats Pete.

Thank you Sandy.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:21 am 
Franchise Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
I haven't seen much conversation about his HR pace on this board, so I figured I'd start something up.

He has 21 HR through 64 games (the Mets have played 65 games).

He's on pace to play ~160 games this season, and he hits a HR in ~33% of his games played. That puts him on pace for 52 HR by the end of the season.

The Mets single season HR record is 41, set by Todd Hundley in 1996 and tied by Carlos Beltran in 2006. Alonso is currently on pace to break that record by the Mets 128th game of the season, which is Friday, August 23rd.

The Mets single season HR record by a rookie is 26, set by Daryl Strawberry in 1983. Alonso is on pace to break that record by the Mets 82nd game of the season, which is Thursday, June 27th.

This is an insane rookie season.

And the all time rookie record for HR in a season is 52, set by Aaron Judge in 2017. Alonso is on pace to tie that record.

So how did he do?

I started this thread on the morning of June 10th, following the Mets 65th game of the season (64th game for Alonso).

Here were his stats that I was tracking at the time:

-64 games
-21 HR
-35 XBH
-46 RBI

That put him on pace for;

-160 games
-52 HR
-87 XBH
-115 RBI

And what did he end up with?

-161 games
-53 HR
-85 XBH
-120 RBI

That's incredible. His early season power output never truly slowed down. That's really impressive for a first year player.

Alonso set the Mets single season records for home runs (53), extra base hits (85), and total bases (348).

He is the first Met to lead the majors in home runs, and the first to ever reach 50+ in a season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

Strawberry lead the league in homers in 1988, he also lead the league in OPS that year and came in 2nd in MVP voting. As noted, you said majors, so my bad. Cansenco lead the majors in 1988 with 42. Straw's 39 came in 2nd overall.

Dave Kingman missed by 1 homerun to Mike Schmidt in 1976. Schmidt played 160 games, Kingman played 123.

Todd Hundley's 41 in 1996 didn't come very close. Andres Galarraga won that year with 47. Shortly after, Mike Piazza's 40 in 1999 was dwarfed by the steroid era and McGuire's 65 and Sosa's 63.

Beltran's 41 in 2006 didn't come close with Ryan Howard hitting 58 that year and Delgado's 38 in 2008 was also well shy of Howard's 48 in 2008.

Let me know if I missed any big met homer seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Frank Thomas' 34 was 10th in the majors in 1962. Willie Mays led with 49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:43 am 
Rookie

Congrats Pete!

I have to say, we've been really fortunate to be able to witness some incredible individual pursuits in recent seasons that would otherwise be lost. Pitchers like deGrom, Dickey, and Harvey have made the Mets worth watching every five days in the past decade. In that respect, Alonso's pursuit of history was both exciting and unique. Besides, he stole a piece of history from a Yankee at the same time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
Strawberry lead the league in homers in 1988, he also lead the league in OPS that year and came in 2nd in MVP voting. As noted, you said majors, so my bad. Cansenco lead the majors in 1988 with 42. Straw's 39 came in 2nd overall.

Dave Kingman missed by 1 homerun to Mike Schmidt in 1976. Schmidt played 160 games, Kingman played 123.

Todd Hundley's 41 in 1996 didn't come very close. Andres Galarraga won that year with 47. Shortly after, Mike Piazza's 40 in 1999 was dwarfed by the steroid era and McGuire's 65 and Sosa's 63.

Beltran's 41 in 2006 didn't come close with Ryan Howard hitting 58 that year and Delgado's 38 in 2008 was also well shy of Howard's 48 in 2008.

Let me know if I missed any big met homer seasons.

HoJo led the NL in 1991 with 38 homers. Cecil Fielder and Canseco tied for the AL/ML lead with 44

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am 
MVP

A big CONGRATULATIONS to Pete!!!

One negative that hopefully will be lessened a bit next year.....Polar Bear was really missing a lot of bad pitches in his quest to get the final records (tie and break), which piled up his K numbers even higher. We all know he was pushing....hopefully next year he will be a little more relaxed...in fact, I am sure he will be more relaxed. Trying hard to break records is very stressful.

All in all, despite the high number of K's, Pete Alonso had one helluva awesome season!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20