MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets Trade Deadline
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
I'm convinced that half of the active posters here would rather have a trade a day and a last place team for decades than a perennial contender that never makes a move.

While the other half think we're just on the cusp of contending despite three bad years and counting and think that endlessly loading up on the cheapest veterans available will one day push us over the top.

And when it inevitably doesn't work 4th place is better than 5th place, anyway.....

8)

Not a single non-Mets owner thinks that way.

Then why do you see a bunch of people support holding/staying on the current course?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm 
Rookie

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
They're not going to do this, but if you really wanted to be honest, you'd look at this situation, figure out what you can put down in sharpie, and its basically:

- Alonso at 1B
- McNeil at 2B
- DeGrom in rotation
- Conforto in RF
- Diaz and Lugo in BP

And thats really it. The other pieces don't fit. So rather than bandaiding it - theyre not going to be able to fill all that for next year. we can keep going down this path of perpetual mediocrity that ultimately crashes that we've been doing for like 20 years now, or can just try to maximize value and take the L and then when that talent is coming up, you can figure out which pieces fit, which don't and use the value accumulated to make swaps where warranted.

But there is like nothing coming up right now. Thats a major issue. Kay and Peterson are Matz and Vargas replacements, maybe. Gimenez is not an impact guy. And then everything else is years away.

Lets call this what it is.

I would give Nimmo another chance if he's healthy, but this. All of this. This is why I don't get the "run it back!" for next year...this team is bad and doesn't have true fundamental pieces. They kinda need to move the likes of Wheeler/Thor just to get pieces who can help in the next window.

Anything other than moving those pieces and retooling around the next core is malpratice.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

Just QO Wheeler and get 1 more year of Wheeler.

Fixed it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:34 am 
Everyday Player

I'd put the odds of Wheeler accepting a QO at below 10% unless he has a disastrous rest-of-the-season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I'd put the odds of Wheeler accepting a QO at below 10% unless he has a disastrous rest-of-the-season.

Really?

we can't say for sure until the end of the year, but based on right now, I'd put it at closer to 60% chance he accepts.

A #30 something draft pick return wouldn't be terrible. I'd want at least that in trade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Trading Pete Alonso to open 1B for Dom Smith is like trading Noah to open a rotation spot for Walker Lockett.

I'm convinced that half of the active posters here would rather have a trade a day and a last place team for decades than a perennial contender that never makes a move.

I'm not sure, I've never seen a perennial contender.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am 
Everyday Player

LTKfRGM wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Really?

we can't say for sure until the end of the year, but based on right now, I'd put it at closer to 60% chance he accepts.

A #30 something draft pick return wouldn't be terrible. I'd want at least that in trade.

Yes.

I don't know why some are so afraid of him accepting a QO. Wheeler's having a disappointing year but front offices these days are usually willing to look past ERAs if the stuff and peripherals are good, which they are.

He'll likely get a multi-year deal and I don't see him passing that up for a QO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:52 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't see him getting more than 4 for 68

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 am 
Everyday Player

tejdog1 wrote:
I don't see him getting more than 4 for 68

Sure but if that kind of deal is even possible do you really think he's taking a QO??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:56 am 
Everyday Player

Gerrit Cole is definitely the most desirable FA SP this off-season. Wheeler is probably next.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 am 
NYFS Staff

Wheeler is not in the same category as Frazier and Vargas..

Two are warm body trade candidates, one, there is a little leverage because of the possibility of a QO. They don't have to trade Wheeler...they can have him for another year on a market value contract...or a decent draft choice. Frazier and Vargas you have to accept what the market offers in personnel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am 
Practically A Wilpon

LTKfRGM wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Really?

The pick would be in the high 70s/low 80s, not the 30s.

Quote:
If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player's contract doesn't matter in this case. The 12 clubs that fall into this category are the Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 109  Next