Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:57 pm

with Alvarez & Hernandez off to good starts in the GCL and 3 highly regarded draft picks signed, I realize it's too early, but to me, it looks like the mets top 10 prospects is looking pretty legit again. I realize that every team just added players in the draft, so it's not just the mets who got a boost, but I still like their top 10.

Thoughts?

1) Mauricio
2) Gimenez
3) Baty
4) SWR
5) Allen
6) Alvarez (17, in GCL, skipped DSL and off to a nice start)
7) Wolf
8 ) Vientos
9) Hernandez
10) Kay
11) Newton
12) Peterson

That's pretty rough, obviously, but there's some talent in there. Mostly young talent, but not bad for a top 10 list. With Baty, I could see 3 guys in the top 100 with a few honorable mentions. Allen & Wolf probably won't pitch much this year but could get more attention next year.

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:10 am

I'll do you one more and give you 30.

1) Mauricio
2) Gimenez
3) Baty
4) Allan
5) SWR
6) Vientos
7) Kay
8 ) Peterson
9) Alvarez
10) Szapucki
11) Wolf
12) Santos
13) Newton
14) Cortes
15) Kilome
16) Hernandez
17) Lugo
18) Mangum
19) Sanchez
20) Palmer
21) Carpio
22) Dibrell
23) Consuegra
24) Valdez
25) Duplantis
26) Toffey
27) Mazeika
28) Gilliam
29) Dedniel
30) Harol

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:11 am

I think prospect lists are taken a little too seriously.

It's basically rating guys who aren't going to get better over guys who are.

That said let me be the first to jump Alvarez to #1.


8)

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:19 am

R Nitelight wrote:I think prospect lists are taken a little too seriously.

It's basically rating guys who aren't going to get better over guys who are.

That said let me be the first to jump Alvarez to #1.


8)


I'm not really sure what this means. Future value and potential is typically included pretty heavily in prospect evaluations, so, no, it's not ranking guys who aren't going to get better over guys who are.

But, yes, prospect rankings are meaningless in the end, but everything we talk about here is meaningless in the end.

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:41 am

Meaningless or not, it would be nice to have some tallent to dream on again. 17 year old Alvarez at #1 is bold, but I'd love to see it. That's kind of why I made this thread. I'd love to get some hype on some of these guys and maybe the mets will have a fun top 10 prospect list when they start to come out after the season.

I wonder if Alvarez is expected to remain a catcher, or if that's not in the cards and he's a future corner OF/1B/DH type.

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:43 am

For poops and giggles...

Mauricio
Baty
Gimenez
Allen
Kay
Wood Richardson
Wolf
Alvarez
Szapucki
Vientos
Peterson
Kilome
Santos
Newton

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:47 am

1) Roma
2) Gimenez
3) Baty
4) Allan
5) Peterson
6) SWR
7) Alvarez
8) Kay
9) Wolf
10) Pucki

Reasoning:
Roma and Gimenez are 1 and 2 but Baty has a real chance to overtake them if Roma and AG continue to struggle in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm the only one here that still seems to rate DP over Kay .. DP has better k-rate, better k-bb rate, better GO rate. He also has more of a prototypical starter build.

The draft has breathed life into this farm .. but overall the farm is pretty bad due to the offaseason trades obviously but also due to some real disappointing performances throughout the system

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:54 am

Mauricio is struggling? He's hitting .286 in full-season ball as a barely-18-year-old.

He's gonna grow into power.

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:01 am

No effing way Baty could possibly overtake Mauricio this season. That's "shiny new toy" syndrome at its finest which is funny considering Mauricio was very recently the shiny new toy.

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 am

Mauricio looks like one of those figures made out of pipe cleaners.


8)

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 am

Hot Takes wrote:No effing way Baty could possibly overtake Mauricio this season. That's "shiny new toy" syndrome at its finest which is funny considering Mauricio was very recently the shiny new toy.


A shiny new toy who was arguably the best HS hitter in the country this past draft who the Mets gave 3.9 million (Roma got 2.1 million)

Lets see how the next few months play out -- But if Baty rips up the GCL along with Kingsport/Brooklyn and Roma's numbers stay about the same -- why would Baty have "no effing" shot at being #1?

Why are you valuing Roma's pedigree so much higher than Baty's?

Re: The too early, mets top 10 prosects right now thread

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:20 am

bygranddesign wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:No effing way Baty could possibly overtake Mauricio this season. That's "shiny new toy" syndrome at its finest which is funny considering Mauricio was very recently the shiny new toy.


A shiny new toy who was arguably the best HS hitter in the country this past draft who the Mets gave 3.9 million (Roma got 2.1 million)

Lets see how the next few months play out -- But if Baty rips up the GCL along with Kingsport/Brooklyn and Roma's numbers stay about the same -- why would Baty have "no effing" shot at being #1?

Why are you valuing Roma's pedigree so much higher than Baty's?


It's not about pedigree. Mauricio is already a Top 50 prospect.

Baty isn't getting that high no matter his performance this season.
Post a reply