Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Juiced Ball Thread

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 pm

I had this completely baseless theory that pitchers with good change-ups (Vargas) are having less trouble with the juiced and/or slippery baseballs than the hard throwing, slider-heavy pitchers (Noah). Wondering if there's any statistical basis for this? Anyone else noticing it?

Re: Juiced Ball Thread

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Could be.

I know it's anecdotal, but I've been watching a ton of Giolito this year and his heavy changeup usage (up 8% from last year to 24% of all pitches he throws) is playing no small part in his turn around from, quite possibly, MLB's worst starter in 2018 to an All-Star in 2019. Of course, adding two ticks to your fastball, cutting your walk rate, deception with a remarkably short and quick arm action (he reworked his delivery in one offseason, which is incredible, if you ask me), as well as a little luck on fly balls not leaving the yard, could all also factor into it.

But yeah, an effective changeup has always been a killer pitch. Perhaps more so now that everyone throws 95 or harder and batters seem to sit dead red looking to go yard.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:32 pm

For all the talk of Noah’s grip and then new ball, Matz Wheeler and DeGrom have had none of the lost slider vélo issues. And Noah has his old slider to start the year.

Whether it’s a covered up arm injury, loss of confidence, mechanical issue- i don’t know. But the ball feels like a convenient excuse rather than anyone taking responsibility for this (and not being able to fix it).

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:59 pm

What happens when MLB switches the ball again? Seems like this ball could totally alter any evaluations made before this season. Is this the new normal or will Ketel Marte go back to being just OK?

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:For all the talk of Noah’s grip and then new ball, Matz Wheeler and DeGrom have had none of the lost slider vélo issues. And Noah has his old slider to start the year.

Whether it’s a covered up arm injury, loss of confidence, mechanical issue- i don’t know. But the ball feels like a convenient excuse rather than anyone taking responsibility for this (and not being able to fix it).

seems like he's found his slider the last two starts...or at least to the point where he's comfortable using it more then he has for most the year

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy

Spoke with a veteran MLB GM today. He believes the postseason baseballs have been "unjuiced,'' adding, "Putting together a team for next year, it would be nice to know what equipment we will be using.''

https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/sta ... 5961075712

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Manfred is completing the job Selig started, and totally ruining the game of baseball.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am

So this is why the Nats are succeeding.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:58 am

Every 9 balls should be regular baseballs.

The 10th should be like a powerball......

8)

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:32 am

R Nitelight wrote:Every 9 balls should be regular baseballs.

The 10th should be like a powerball......

8)

:lol:

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am

I like it! Watch how few pitchers/catchers throw out a ball for no reason
Post a reply