MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019-2020 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 pm 
NYFS Historian

Did the Mets have an obligation to reach out to Wheeler before he signed with the Phils? What am I missing here? I'm willing to pile on the Mets when deserved, but Wheeler was a free agent that the Mets decided not to pursue. What was their responsibility to "check in" on him?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

Genmet wrote:
Did the Mets have an obligation to reach out to Wheeler before he signed with the Phils? What am I missing here? I'm willing to pile on the Mets when deserved, but Wheeler was a free agent that the Mets decided not to pursue. What was their responsibility to "check in" on him?

The Mets most likely never had any intention of re-signing Wheeler going back to 2018. So to me Wheeler is just saying that they never made any effort. You can take his comment any way you want but BvW’s response was just so petty and beneath what a Mets GM should say. How did the Mets “help” Wheeler get his large contract? And saying that he had only 2 good half seasons is even worse. Did you ever hear of taking the high road, Brodie?

...”We just determined that the cost to retain him was going to be more than we were prepared to spend but we’re very happy for Zack personally. He did some terrific things while he was here and was a great teammate. We wish he’d have landed somewhere outside the division though. So now we’ll have to go at him like anyone else.” ???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 pm 
NYFS Historian

Very fair point on BVW's response. I wasn't referencing that at all. My point had to do with the hand-wringing over the Mets not reaching out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:45 am 
Rookie

I like this Mets team but once again I think tight games are going to be lost by the clubs lack of prioritization of defense.

Ramos - Cano/Rosario - Nimmo is about as bad as it gets up the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Genmet wrote:
Very fair point on BVW's response. I wasn't referencing that at all. My point had to do with the hand-wringing over the Mets not reaching out.

It was poor form if the Mets never even contacted or responded to Wheeler’s agent even if that was just to decline pursuit, given that Zack really left it all out on the field for the Mets who paid him little more than $10M in his entire career.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:12 pm 
Franchise Player

Neither side should have made those comments, but I think Brodie taking a shot at Wheeler was more unprofessional.

Either decline to reply, or say something like "Wheeler was great for us for years and worked really hard to come back from those surgeries and take his game to the level where he deserved that payday. We're happy for him, and happy with the direction that we're going in."

Why do these executives take it so personally when they didn't even get burned by a contract battle?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:18 pm 
Draft Pick

I’m also on the side of Brodie should have taken the high ground. There is nothing to gain from his comments but to inflate his own ego. It looks tacky to anyone who looks at the stats and sees that Wheeler earned the contract and I can’t imagine sits well with the players in the clubhouse looking for their next contract. I’m sure Noah for example is seeing these comments as “Mets won’t try to resign me or give me a fair offer and when they lowball me, they’ll call me out to cover their own backsides”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 pm 
NYFS Staff

The less Brodie talks, the less classless he sounds.

Perhaps Ces' is onto something here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:11 pm 
Veteran Presence

[-o< [-o< [-o<

Mathew Brownstein @MBrownstein89
Quote:
Jordany posted this yesterday. He worked out in Miami and wrote “great things come to those who wait.”

Today he’s seen in #Mets camp...

Heard it’s an open tryout. Nothing official as of yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
[-o< [-o< [-o<

Quote:
Jordany posted this yesterday. He worked out in Miami and wrote “great things come to those who wait.”

Step 1: JV1 comes home.

Step 2: Sign Kazmir.

Step 3: Swing an end of spring deal for Ollie P.

I won't criticize BVW for, like, a week if he pulls that off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm 
Draft Pick

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
[-o< [-o< [-o<

Quote:

Step 1: JV1 comes home.

Step 2: Sign Kazmir.

Step 3: Swing an end of spring deal for Ollie P.

I won't criticize BVW for, like, a week if he pulls that off.

Paging Matt Harvey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:15 am 
Manager

Twitter musings. I see Rod Friedman aka pitching ninja kinda helping Mike Pascoe try to get a job. 21 year old who throws mid to high 90’s with a bugs bunny change. Downside is he walks the park lol...curious if he gets a look with a team soon. The power of social media.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1021 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next