MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Puma and Davidoff: Yanks interested in Matz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:52 pm 
Veteran Presence

Of course, with stipulations that the Mets would want Andujar and the orgs do not like dealing with each other.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/yankees-i ... -injuries/

Post subject: Re: Puma and Davidoff: Yanks interested in Matz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Mets need Matz more than they need Andujar.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 pm 
Franchise Player

Pass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:24 pm 
Veteran Presence

Quote:
Andy Martino @martinonyc

As NY Post reported there has been some contact between Mets and Yankees on Steven Matz. However, multiple sources say that there is no reason to think it will progress or that anything will happen there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 pm 
Fan Favorite

Matz for Andujar is juat not a smart move. I seriously doubtMets would not entertain that unless blown away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm 
NYFS Historian

While it doesn't fill a "need" for the Mets, I would love to see it happen. Andujar has a much better chance of turning into something elite than Matz does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Matz is a free agent in 2022, Andujar in 2024. I'm almost interested, but our pitching depth is too thin. Yanks would probably be wiser to go bottom feeding than trying to buy a pitcher from a team that has a shot at playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Genmet wrote:
While it doesn't fill a "need" for the Mets, I would love to see it happen. Andujar has a much better chance of turning into something elite than Matz does.

Of course. It's a steal.

But I'm not sure Cashman, desperate or not, gives in and sends Andujar for an inconsistent #4 w/health/injury history

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:28 pm 

Spacetraveler wrote:
Matz for Andujar is juat not a smart move. I seriously doubtMets would not entertain that unless blown away.

Why?

Pitcher health risk<<Hitter heath risk
2 years control << 4 yrs control
#3-4 SP ceiling << legit #5-6 hitter

You're right, not a smart move- Cashman laughs at the idea

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 pm 

LTKfRGM wrote:
Matz is a free agent in 2022, Andujar in 2024. I'm almost interested, but our pitching depth is too thin. Yanks would probably be wiser to go bottom feeding than trying to buy a pitcher from a team that has a shot at playoffs.

Totally agree, LTK.

Value wise you jump on that before Cashman's hangover

But I do like having 3 guys for the #3-4 starter spots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 am 
Veteran Presence

You'd also be relying on signing someone this offseason, extending Stroman, Peterson/Oswalt/Lockett/Puck stepping up, or some combination of these three things. Heck, we're already relaying on this without sending Matz somewhere for a piece that is a lot like JD Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm 
NYFS Staff

I am a big fan of Andujar. That said, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with McNeil, Davis, Gimenez, Alonso and Mauricio in the organization. He MIGHT be convertible to OF, but even then...

IF I were to trade Matz, it's for young high ceiling power arms and outfielders...