MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:52 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

HeyNowHK wrote:
But more importantly, you don’t look at a guy like this and focus on the one thing he doesn’t do well; you focus on the things he does really well.

Don't look at = Ignore

Problem is we have another "let's ignore his defense" guy with Dom.

Even worse, they play the same position (as far as trying to ignore that defense)-so maximizing that bat will be measured for each of them.

Worse yet we keep playing guys in CF who are not centerfielders.

Point is -after a while you need to come up with a solution and not focus on what players do well while ignoring what they don't.

The bullpen saves the team defense from well deserved scrutiny

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LF and 1B are the only spots you can accept sub par gloves on the assumption that the bat makes up for it. Anyway, in our case the bigger problem has been the IF. That, and moving Squirrel to 3B will help the OF defense. And he’s probably close enough to Fraz at 3B.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

And whoever may be comparing them, I don’t think JD and Dom are in the same bucket in terms of LF viability. JD is just a below par OFer right now but has the potential to improve IMO. Dom is not and will never be an OFer no matter how much work he puts in. That makes Dom far more of a surplus tradable part IMO. He’d be a nice spare part to keep around but may have some value now that he’s still pre-arb.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 pm 
Veteran Presence

MLB: 87.5 mph exit velo, .251 xBA, .408 xSLG, 34.5% hard hit rate
JDD: 91.4 mph exit velo, .304 xBA (top 2%), .523 xSLG, 47.1% hard hit rate
Dom: 87.9 mph exit velo, .240 xBA, .420 xSLG, 34.6% hard hit rate

If I'm betting on one of these defensively-challenged players to be a useful complementary piece going forward, it's 100% JDD. Not only do I think he's less of a liability in LF than Dom, his batted ball data is leaps and bounds more encouraging. This says nothing of his ability to also play 3B in a pinch while Dom is a strict 1B-only option.

If there is a team out there this winter willing to give up anything of value for Dom, they need to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:04 pm 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
LF and 1B are the only spots you can accept sub par gloves on the assumption that the bat makes up for it. Anyway, in our case the bigger problem has been the IF. That, and moving Squirrel to 3B will help the OF defense. And he’s probably close enough to Fraz at 3B.

How does moving one of our best OF gloves to 3B improve our OF defense?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I wouldn’t categorize him as such by the eye test. He’s versatile but I think he’s an IF-first guy. And I think 3B is clearly his best position. If everyone stays, I would expect next year’s OF to be Davis in LF, Nimmo in CF and Scooter in RF on most days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I wouldn’t categorize him as such by the eye test. He’s versatile but I think he’s an IF-first guy. And I think 3B is clearly his best position. If everyone stays, I would expect next year’s OF to be Davis in LF, Nimmo in CF and Scooter in RF on most days.

I think he's as good in the OF as he is in the IF, which is average to slightly-above-average. I think he covers the most ground of any OF on the team besides Lagares. He's not polished but he makes up for it. In the IF, he's just another guy. Competent, but he's inconsistent with his throws and his hands and actions are just okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 am 
Franchise Player

I would move McNeill to the infield, too. He can play the outfield, and he’s pretty good! which is crazy and so impressive considering his lack of experience, but I want to keep him healthy. He does enough running on the bases. Get somebody else to shag flies.

JD is tough. The bat has been rock steady. LF should limit his exposure. I’m of the view to keep him. I think Dom is the guy to trade of the corner guys with no defensive home on the Mets. JD is a keeper for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:07 am 
Franchise Player

If the two primary options for defensive alignment are:

1. McNeil @ 3B, Davis, Nimmo, Conforto left-to-right
2. Davis @ 3B, McNeil, Nimmo, Conforto left-to-right

Then I think you have to go with choice 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:07 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

I think he's as good in the OF as he is in the IF, which is average to slightly-above-average. I think he covers the most ground of any OF on the team besides Lagares. He's not polished but he makes up for it. In the IF, he's just another guy. Competent, but he's inconsistent with his throws and his hands and actions are just okay.

Well McNeil at 3B is one case where the metrics support the eye test even if it’s been a small sample.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:12 pm 
Everyday Player

The metrics support him as a pretty solid defensive OF as well, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 pm 
NYFS Staff

Just a fun little thought that popped into my head...

Cf Nimmo 26
2b McNeil 26
1b Alonso 24
Rf Conforto 26
3b Davis 26
LF Smith 24
SS Rosario 23
C Nido 25
P Syndergaard 27

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next