Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Cuts come first, so if you want to wait on rule 5's till after the cuts & winter meeting trades, feel free to wait on rule 5.

Rooster: http://m.mets.mlb.com/nym/roster/40-man/

Currently 44 names, but that's standard with 60 day DLs.

25 pitchers, 3 catchers, 9 infields, 6 OFs (including JD) and 1 IF/OF - McNeil.

Free agents:

Availan, Wheeler, Frazier, Rajai Davis, Rene Rivera, and obvious cut, Lagares.

So, 38.

Possible cuts (and call me crazy on some if you like and feel free to add any I missed)

Brad Brach (1.35 option)
Flexen
Gagnon
Hart
Mazza
Oswalt
Rhame
Haggerty (I think they plan to keep him, just not on the 40)
Panik (arb eligible, probably out of options)

I think they try to pass Haggerty through waivers and keep him, they try to resign Panik off the 40. Not sure which pitchers they cut, but probably at least 2 or 3, maybe 4.

Roster down to 32-34 (estimate)

Rule 5 adds: Szapucki, Sanchez, Gimenez and I'd hate to lose Humphreys, so maybe 4.

Roster looks flexible enough and with Brodie running things, it could look pretty different in 2 months anyway.

Am I missing/overlooking anyone?

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm

For cuts, I'd say:

Avilan (FA)
Brach (but maybe the option could be a possibility?)
Gagnon
Hart
Mazza
Wheeler (FA)
Rivera (FA)
Frazier (FA)
Panik (non-tender)
R. Davis (FA)
Lagares (decline option)

That brings us to 33, and even though we have more cut-worthy players, I'll say they stop at that point and then cut other guys as they need the space so as not to risk losing them on waivers for no reason.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

I like the cheap Brach option, I'd keep him around.

While I would cut Mazza, they seem to have an infatuation with him. Didn't they keep him over Font - whom they gave actual talent up to acquire?

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 am

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:I like the cheap Brach option, I'd keep him around.

While I would cut Mazza, they seem to have an infatuation with him. Didn't they keep him over Font - whom they gave actual talent up to acquire?


You definitely keep Brach around at that price for now. NO brainer there.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:07 am

Brach’s option doesn’t pertain to the Mets. If he accepts, it just represents the amount he’ll be paid by the Cubs. He’s a FA.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Ah, thought it was a team option. Yeah, he'll opt out.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm

There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.


And Familia.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Gagnon, Avilan, Mazza, Brach, Lagares, Frazier, Hart, Wheeler, Rivera, and Davis gone.

That makes 34. They might wait on Gagnon and Mazza until they need space. Rhame is a wild card. Flexen as well.

No need to cut Haggerty and Panik until necessary. They really have a lot of space if they wish to protect.

Szapucki, Gimenez and Sanchez seem like shoe ins. That should really add Humphreys to that but he might seem further away.

You don't want to leave more than one slot space before the rule V. You can maneuver more easily afterward in getting guys through waivers.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Brach will not be back. LHed hitters destroyed him this year. The 3 batter rule will make it impossible to carry an arm like this. I would be shocked to see him retained even if it won’t cost much (assuming he triggers his $1.3M player option leaving the Mets on the hook for only the ML minimum I believe).

It’s pretty hard to have this bad a pen for 3 straight years but somehow this franchise has figured out a way to do it. I would expect Brodie to raise the bar just a little bit higher on a fix to the pen. I’m expecting a near complete makeover other than Lugo, Wilson and Familia.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 am

Add Flexen to list of likely cuts....

He is out of options and unlikely to earn a full time role in the bullpen.

Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am

jdawginsc wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.


And Familia.


I mean, I can't even fathom how they'd do it, but there's one where I think they may try to figure out how to oust him. Maybe just eat the money. There was nothing redeemable there. Diaz still had the elite velo, whiff rates, etc. Familia had nothing. Stuff is down, command is gone, he's cooked.
Post a reply