PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 pm 
Franchise Player

Riggleman out too.

Post subject: Re: Mickey Callaway Out as Manager
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
I think it was best for both sides.

Maddon, Girardi, Showalter would all be terrific.

What about Mike Scioscia? Anyone have any thoughts on him? And is Bochy officially retired? Or might he be looking for a different gig?

Only my gut feeling, but I think guys like Scioscia and Bochy are probably burnt out from managing and need some time off before they go back to manage. Girardi is my choice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm 
Veteran Presence

I like that Girardi is a winner, but I do think he's gunning for the Cubs job.

Showalter might not "get along" with the FO, but I'd be okay with him.

Is Luis Rojas ready? Like what I hear about Joe Espada, too, but Martino says this about him:
Quote:
The Astros bench coach has been a hot name in managerial searches for at least a year. Some perspective: When you're well-liked, people tend to float your name to reporters. That's both a compliment to Espada and a slight reality check about his chances. Don't be surprised to see him get a Mets interview, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:43 pm 
NYFS Staff

Of those mentioned, I'd probably be okay with Showalter...

I'm a big no on Girardi, Matheny...I am a big yes on someone younger, with scouting and analytical background, well prepared and smart about the in game aspect.

Tough order of course...

I'd hope they'd give a strong look at Rojas, but also at sustained success underlings in Houston, Tampa, Oakland even, and yes, the Yankees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Of those mentioned, I'd probably be okay with Showalter...

I'm a big no on Girardi, Matheny...I am a big yes on someone younger, with scouting and analytical background, well prepared and smart about the in game aspect.

Tough order of course...

I'd hope they'd give a strong look at Rojas, but also at sustained success underlings in Houston, Tampa, Oakland even, and yes, the Yankees.

Luis Rojas has been a coach since he was 25. Experienced, yes, but if you want someone with a scouting and analytical background, that does not fit him. I'm actually not sure who would check off both a scouting and analytical background. There's a difference between being purportedly "open to" advanced analytics and having a background in it. I would posit few in coaching roles have a true background there - maybe AJ Hinch excluded.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Was about to start off saying this one probably falls into the longshot category but I guess it’s no longer than any other one - David Cone has expressed some interest and even tho he’s been crosstown for a while, I’m pretty sure that he remains on good terms here and the history is obviously really positive here. As to qualifications, Cone is smart, affable, well respected and now media savvy. But obviously he lacks managerial experience for whatever that’s worth. Another guy who will have to learn on the job. Maybe an interesting choice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
Let's hire someone who's going to have an adversarial relationship with the Wilpons.

That'd be swell!!!!!

8)

Anyone who would [frantically tries to come up with a diplomatic way of saying what he really wants to] [this is really difficult] ... suggest gently that perhaps Jeff and Fred Wilpon's [gags] talents lie elsewhere other than on field decision making (can someone recommend some good high quality Brain Bleach?) would be my first choice.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:53 pm 
Franchise Player

I bet Mickey threw really good batting practice. That and the players played hard and seemed to really scrap for him. Maybe they would for someone else too, and that doesn’t make Mickey a good manager, but they did play hard and the team spirit was quality all year. It’s something. Oh and I’m glad Pete batted 2nd a lot. I like him there. I read a book or blurb or article once or maybe am making this up, but smarty smart numbers guys think your best hitter should hit 2nd. They get up a lot with no outs or something. I also like it because Pete may hit a ball out of the stadium and rattle the pitcher’s brain before he establishes a rhythm. But yeah, fire Mickey, sure, whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:55 pm 
Rookie

I wish we could fire the ownership and GM too.

Failing that, I hope we hire a manager with enough experience, track record and gumption to try to force some sense into the lousy lot above him.

Girardi seems like a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:10 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Luis Rojas has been a coach since he was 25. Experienced, yes, but if you want someone with a scouting and analytical background, that does not fit him. I'm actually not sure who would check off both a scouting and analytical background. There's a difference between being purportedly "open to" advanced analytics and having a background in it. I would posit few in coaching roles have a true background there - maybe AJ Hinch excluded.

He's a sharp guy. Had a great conversation with him when he was at Savannah, and I was in Greenville at a conference.

Maybe I should have said scouting and familiarity with advanced metrics.