MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Manager/Coaching Staff Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
This is not a “reactionary” opinion on the heels of Callaway. This is my assessment of the combination of personality, media-savviness, leadership, and tactical abilities. Admittedly this is my impression from afar (as it would be with anyone here), but Beltran was never even on my radar as a future manager because I never considered him a + in any of those four categories except for his tactical knowledge of the game - he always played the game right. But as to the other things I believe are at least somewhat important qualities of a manager, I don’t recall Beltran being considered as a quasi team leader; he never stood out as particularly media- savvy, and he doesn’t even strike me as someone with the personality to be in a front-facing position.

In fairness, these impressions could be dated or haven’t worn well over time. But I put those impressions on top of the one that is that 1st timers do invariably make a lot of mistakes. People oversimplify this here and elsewhere as “so, will screw up his first double switch..?” when we’ve actually seen 2 full seasons of managerial lineup, PH, PR, bullpen, defensive switch and other screwups. So, the conventional wisdom on this is that experience running a game in real time is what one needs to anticipate these situations and react to them appropriately. Of course the learning curve may be less for other people but there will still be a learning curve. And I understand that seasoned managers fail and do stupid stuff too but you don’t expect them to mess up the basics.

For a team that will absolutely be expected to compete, given an elite top of the rotation, Alonso, McNeil and some others, it runs counter-intuitive to give them a manager who will invariably have some learning curve handicap. It’s better to have another team absorb the 1st timer’s mistakes and get someone on a 2nd gig even like an Andy Green or Ventura... not necessarily either one specifically but like that.

Well said. I agree with all of this.

I can't help but wonder if they figure that they can sell Beltran as a big get to Mets fans solely because of his success as a player. I also don't doubt that they might be able to sign him for less than some of the other candidates, given his lack of experience, desire to be here, and relationships with various members of the FO.

I'm not sure if anyone saw this, but Martino spoke to Beltran about his candidacy and they touched on the use of analytics. Beltran seemed receptive to using analytics, but he refers to analytics as "information". This probably appeals to the FO too. I gather that they want someone who will incorporate analytics, but for some reason so many members of the Mets community (including GKR) are just petrified of using them. This seems like a good way of getting around that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Put Keith and Ron in charge, let them manage and coach like ‘back in the day’. Hilarity ensues. And we’ll never have to hear about how it used to be done again.

Unless the Mets win with sac bunts, hit & runs and CGs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
Rookie

Puma says Showalter's chances have stalled due to his run ins with previous front office members.

Feel like Eduardo Perez is already a lock :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:08 pm 
Franchise Player

SNESandMets wrote:
Puma says Showalter's chances have stalled due to his run ins with previous front office members.

Feel like Eduardo Perez is already a lock :P

Eduardo Perez was in for a "second interview". And is a "serious candidate". Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 am 
Franchise Player

As soon as we hear such and such "lit up the room", we'll know we have our guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am 
Franchise Player

slugox wrote:

I think that's Mr. Eduardo Perez. Apparently already had a second interview.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:47 am 
Franchise Player

nyfuturestars10978 wrote:
slugox wrote:

Didn't they claim first round interviews were via phone, with the chosen few to receive in-person 2nd interviews? Maybe I have it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 am 
Franchise Player

[quote="slugox
Didn't they claim first round interviews were via phone, with the chosen few to receive in-person 2nd interviews? Maybe I have it wrong.[/quote]
So that would make all in person interview second interviews.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

Did they make the applicants call collect?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 am 
Franchise Player

[quote="slugox
Didn't they claim first round interviews were via phone, with the chosen few to receive in-person 2nd interviews? Maybe I have it wrong.

So that would make all in person interview second interviews.[/quote]

That's how I understand it, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 am 
Legend of NYFS

slugox wrote:
slugox wrote:

Yes, my guess is they had some lesser candidates (meaning, lesser resumes, not lesser chance of getting job) do an initial screening and then decided on who would get the in person discussions along with Girardi (and perhaps others) who didn't go through that type of initial screen.

I think Beltran was confirmed to have already had multiple discussions, including an in-person, with them too right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:26 pm 
Franchise Player

I'm would rather have Beltran if they're going no experience. I've not heard anything great about Eduardo Perez.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next