MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019-2020 Offseason moves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:46 pm 
General Manager

FWIW Keith Law just moved from ESPN to the Athletic. That counts as an offseason move ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Jacob Resnick
@Jacob_Resnick
Johneshwy Fargas is the only previously unreported signing. The Puerto Rican center fielder hit .255 over 7 seasons in the Giants organization.

Link

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm 
Veteran Presence

Rosenthal says Arenado trade is likely inevitable. Pipedream, but would this get it done (assuming Arenado would waive his no trade clause and eliminate the opt-out after 2021)?

Lowrie, Smith, Gimenez, Peterson, Alvarez, Gilliam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
Rosenthal says Arenado trade is likely inevitable. Pipedream, but would this get it done (assuming Arenado would waive his no trade clause and eliminate the opt-out after 2021)?

Honestly for that contract, I would hope the return would be lower.

Lowrie, Smith, Nimmo would likely be involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't see the mets taking on anywhere close to that much salary. They'd want to dump Cano and that's not happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:

They just signed that contract and it’s in line with market. He’s coming off his best season. Why would he come at a discount?

It’s pretty crazy how everyone nods when guys sign these mega deals then immediately considers anyone on those to be distressed assets.

Do we think the Yanks are looking to dump Cole yet??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 am 
Everyday Player

jdawginsc wrote:

About the only way I can see Arenado ending up here is via a three team trade, as we don't match up exactly with Colorado.

The deal could go something like this: we ship Nimmo, Peterson and Kilorme to Pittsburgh for Marte. Then package Marte, Dom and probably Matz to COL for Arenado. Maybe Colorado adds an arm like Freeland or Almonte.

The Rockies aren't taking our scraps, getting Arenado will hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:00 am 
Franchise Player

Disco Ball wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

About the only way I can see Arenado ending up here is via a three team trade, as we don't match up exactly with Colorado.

The deal could go something like this: we ship Nimmo, Peterson and Kilorme to Pittsburgh for Marte. Then package Marte, Dom and probably Matz to COL for Arenado. Maybe Colorado adds an arm like Freeland or Almonte.

The Rockies aren't taking our scraps, getting Arenado will hurt.

The Mets lose big time in that scenario. Big pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

Don’t think an Arenado trade would be worth it for the Mets. The price would likely hurt a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am 
Franchise Player

thebull wrote:
Don’t think an Arenado trade would be worth it for the Mets. The price would likely hurt a lot.

Yea, the Rockies aren't doing a massive teardown, so I assume they are moving him for long-term controllable assets that they can plug in now or in the very near future.

The Mets are also trying to open their competitive window, so those players are equally valuable to the Mets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:27 pm 
NYFS Staff

I think some overestimate what the cost would be...they are in financial distress. And paying a free agent $200+m is different than paying a FA $200+m and a significant cost in prospects.

There has not been a lot of offloading of major salary contracts; and for those, these have NOT netted a large return. Even for premium players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
I think some overestimate what the cost would be...they are in financial distress. And paying a free agent $200+m is different than paying a FA $200+m and a significant cost in prospects.

There has not been a lot of offloading of major salary contracts; and for those, these have NOT netted a large return. Even for premium players.

They signed the contract 10 months ago.

The reason why "offloading major salary contracts" often do not net a large return is because those are distressed assets after downturn in performance, change in circumstances, etc.

This would be like if the Mets traded deGrom today and people tried to put packages together of bad contracts and Dom Smith types.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next