Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Historic Potential Change in Minor League Structure??

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Two articles came out today:

Baseball America link:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gue-teams/

NY Times link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/spor ... anges.html

Highlights for those who hate reading:

No more Rookie - Adv and A - short season leagues.
Rule IV Draft will reduce to 20 rounds
Organization Player Max would be instituted
Cyclones would likely replace Columbia or Binghamton.
GCL, AZL, DSL not impacted.
Minor League Salaries would increase.
No more shifting of MLB affiliates.

Re: Historic Potential Change in Minor League Structure??

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:59 pm

That's a lot of ballplayers out of affiliated ball in order to increase the salaries of those who remain within it.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:34 pm

This is why we need to eat the rich.

MLB doesn't care about the game, the fans, or the players.

They only care about the owners.

8)

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Honestly, as much as change is terrible, this seems like an improvement:

Minor league players getting paid more is a good thing.

Overall higher level of minor league competition is a good thing.

A twenty round draft means less filler and more deserving candidates.

The "dream league" of undrafted players would be super fun to tune into looking for diamonds in the rough (though I question how it would work with Latin amateurs coming stateside).

Mets would come out looking pretty if BK moves up a level and takes the place of Binghamton, as they'd own their three highest level franchises outright. And it would be a nice taste of New York to have players in Double-A getting a taste of living in NYC.

I'm not going to shed tears about small cities losing minor league teams.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:00 pm

It's not only players who are going to lose their jobs here. It's hundreds of people in dozens of communities all in the name of corporate greed.

Maybe shed a tear for them.

8)

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:06 pm

R Nitelight wrote:It's not only players who are going to lose their jobs here. It's hundreds of people in dozens of communities all in the name of corporate greed.

8)

Eh, those jobs have been on the backs of players playing for less than minimum wage on the very long shot that they might someday make it to the show.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:29 pm

R Nitelight wrote:It's not only players who are going to lose their jobs here. It's hundreds of people in dozens of communities all in the name of corporate greed.

8)

So many of those jobs are part-time and seasonal, or are ridiculously classified as internships.

I was once offered a full-time job (probably 60+ hours / week during the season) in the front office of a Triple-A team with a stipend that translated to $2/hr. This was in 2012.

And when I worked in the NY Penn league, most of the employees at the stadium were making minimum wage for close to 40 hours / week during the season, and nothing outside of that. Fortunately I was classified as an intern, so I worked 60+ hours every week for $500 8)

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 pm

northway wrote:

8)

Eh, those jobs have been on the backs of players playing for less than minimum wage on the very long shot that they might someday make it to the show.

I'm not disputing that minor leaguers are underpaid, but cutting the draft at 20 rounds and closing the system breaks a lot of dreams.

The ripple effects of aiding the top rung of prospects wages...those who signed for some significant dollars upfront will have a trickle out effect on community jobs and the low rung MiLers who might just be some of the better stories.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 pm

If there's one thing I know that fans of baseball has been clamoring for, it's less baseball! One way to really, really crush the sport in general is to limit the number of possibilities in the professional realm. If you were trying to disincentive talented athletes from playing the sport, this is a pretty good way to do it. Kudos to everyone who will be squeezing every last bit of revenue out of the sport as it dies on the vine!

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:49 am

chinabox wrote:If there's one thing I know that fans of baseball has been clamoring for, it's less baseball! One way to really, really crush the sport in general is to limit the number of possibilities in the professional realm. If you were trying to disincentive talented athletes from playing the sport, this is a pretty good way to do it. Kudos to everyone who will be squeezing every last bit of revenue out of the sport as it dies on the vine!

One of the best posts on this site ever.
Post a reply