MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Baseball America Top 10 Prospects
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Metsfan980 wrote:
yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
https://twitter.com/Jacob_Resnick/status/1192540458888679425

Amazingly he's still only 22 (turning 23 in a couple of weeks).

One of my favorite prospects a few years ago.

Yeah he's still young but so many AB's lost (against quality spin & velo) the past 3 years is pretty rough. Development years he'll never get back.

Biggest issue is that even if he's talented enough (he's had encouraging stretches but has never really played great or dominated) to overcome the lost time, who's
to say he won't get injured again to stall any big comeback?

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:31 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

johnnymets176 wrote:
Im a big believer in pitchablity lefties...big believer in smith.

Isn't he more of a "hides the ball well", "quirky delivery & release point" with good movement on his FB/SL then a cliché -esh "pitchability" guy (that changes speeds, hits corners & avoids the barrell)??

I think the excitement surrounding him is based more on the former than the latter, no?

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
https://twitter.com/Jacob_Resnick/status/1192540458888679425

Amazingly he's still only 22 (turning 23 in a couple of weeks).

One of my favorite prospects a few years ago.

Yeah he's still young but so many AB's lost (against quality spin & velo) the past 3 years is pretty rough. Development years he'll never get back.

Biggest issue is that even if he's talented enough (he's had encouraging stretches but has never really played great or dominated) to overcome the lost time, who's
to say he won't get injured again to stall any big comeback?

Lindsay has a good eye and a good glove. Good runner but he needs to learn how to hit. That's the hardest aspect of the game. There's always a chance but a .210 hitting backup CF seems the more likely outcome, if he makes the show at all. but the 5% chance he gets the hitting thing down means he's still a prospect and given our depleted system, I'd say top 20 is fair. I'm sure some will disagree but I might nominate him soonish in the top prospect voting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
According to Baseball America, the teams that drafted (and signed) the most productive talent of the 2010s...

1. @astros
2. @whitesox
3. @Marlins
4. @BlueJays
5. @Mets

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... the-2010s/

THANK YOU SANDY!

Its just a ranking by bWAR of picks that you signed from 2010-2019.

The Mets rank 5th with 89.4 bWAR, 48.2 came from the 2010 draft alone (Harvey and deGrom, basically). Thank you Omar!

The Sandy drafts (2011-2018) totaled 41.2, including a composite -3.3 bWAR from the 2012 one. Michael Conforto was the most productive (of course). Michael Fulmer has been the 2nd most productive pick from that group.