MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 pm 
General Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they move on from their last manager because he was essentially ill-prepared for the job as a first time skipper at any level and it was 2 years of constant mistakes and poor judgment. Doesn’t mean they have to hire someone who’s managed 20 years in the majors but maybe a little minor league experience??

Well we obviously know that was ******** anyway with all the candidates they interviewed. Literally none of them other than Bogar as an interim had MLB experience. Obviously Mickey was canned cause he wasn't Brodie's guy and didn't make the playoffs with a 'come get us' team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:15 pm 
Franchise Player

Beltran has reportedly described Collins as the best manager he played for. Maybe this is just a 1-year thing where Terry helps him get comfortable as manager of the Mets and then calls it a career.

It's a real interesting scenario if it really does end up happening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they move on from their last manager because he was essentially ill-prepared for the job as a first time skipper at any level and it was 2 years of constant mistakes and poor judgment. Doesn’t mean they have to hire someone who’s managed 20 years in the majors but maybe a little minor league experience??

Well we obviously know that was ******** anyway with all the candidates they interviewed. Literally none of them other than Bogar as an interim had MLB experience. Obviously Mickey was canned cause he wasn't Brodie's guy and didn't make the playoffs with a 'come get us' team.

Wuut? Perez has years of coaching and has managed winter league teams. Murphy and Shelton are bench coaches and otherwise long coaching resumes. DeFrancesco manages in the minors. Basically everyone had the credentials except Beltran, so who do they hire?? Doh!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:19 pm 
Rookie

I should start by saying that I'm happy for him. Seems like a good guy and I gather that he's always carried himself well. Congrats Carlos.

I'm just having a hard time not being skeptical of this process. He doesn't really stand out as a great candidate imo. As has been mentioned earlier on this thread, he was never particularly media-savvy and he doesn't have any experience. Where he does stand out is that he's marketable. This just reeks of an attempt to find a big name to sell to the fans, particularly if we aren't going to be active in FA and don't have too many Sandy-era prospects left to trade. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm 
Veteran Presence

All of the concerns about Beltran being like Mickey. The strange decisions Mickey made, we all thought a normally "equipped" person could avoid. Hopefully Beltran is just normally equipped.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:30 pm 
Franchise Player

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
All of the concerns about Beltran being like Mickey. The strange decisions Mickey made, we all thought a normally "equipped" person could avoid. Hopefully Beltran is just normally equipped.

Callaway's in-game strategy was filled with amazingly bad decisions. Every organizations has several coaches in their minor leagues that would never replicate those moves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 pm 
General Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Wuut? Perez has years of coaching and has managed winter league teams. Murphy and Shelton are bench coaches and otherwise long coaching resumes. DeFrancesco manages in the minors. Basically everyone had the credentials except Beltran, so who do they hire?? Doh!

I don't know why you have to fight every little thing - I said MLB experience, meaning as a major league manager. They weren't firing Mickey for Girardi, they were firing him for another rookie manager. All of these guys were going to be rookie managers in the end even if they had more training and ancilary experience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Sure but that distinction belies the point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 pm 
General Manager

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:

After the Todd Bowles-Adam Gase fiasco with the Jets I'll never say the next guy can't be worse...but Mickey's a pretty low bar to clear. At least the Mets didn't hire Gabe Kapler, which would have been the MLB equivalent of Gase lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:10 pm 
General Manager

Joel Sherman
‏Verified account
@Joelsherman1
5m5 minutes ago
More
Anyone suggesting Beltran had a problem with NY reporters never spent a second in a clubhouse with him as a #Mets or #Yankees player, or as an #Astro or as an NYY official this year. Beltran actually listens to questions and answers them without cliche, but with insight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:43 pm 
Everyday Player

This move has Omar Minaya's thumbprints all over it. Wait a little while longer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

Personally, I think this is a cool hiring. Admittedly second and third hand information, but was told several years ago he was fantastic with younger players of all backgrounds, was as classy as classy gets and had an extremely high level of preparation.

The fact that they were able to bridge the past must mean something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next