MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

Well we obviously know that was ******** anyway with all the candidates they interviewed. Literally none of them other than Bogar as an interim had MLB experience. Obviously Mickey was canned cause he wasn't Brodie's guy and didn't make the playoffs with a 'come get us' team.

Wuut? Perez has years of coaching and has managed winter league teams. Murphy and Shelton are bench coaches and otherwise long coaching resumes. DeFrancesco manages in the minors. Basically everyone had the credentials except Beltran, so who do they hire?? Doh!

I don't know why you have to fight every little thing - I said MLB experience, meaning as a major league manager. They weren't firing Mickey for Girardi, they were firing him for another rookie manager. All of these guys were going to be rookie managers in the end even if they had more training and ancilary experience.

What do you mean “fight every little thing”? What you replied doesn’t follow from what I said. I didn’t suggest that they had to hire someone with ML managing experience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:54 pm 
Franchise Player

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/07/09/astro ... ok-excerpt
Beltran had a big influence on that young Astros team.

Quote:
“Analytics people, they understand the statistics,” Beltrán said. “But they don’t understand what the player is thinking.” What beyond the data could give a player the confidence to believe that every time he stepped to the plate, it was the pitcher who was in trouble, not him? And what could someone like Beltrán detect in a pitcher’s habits that could equip a teammate to understand not just what the probabilities suggested he would likely throw, but to know for certain?
Beltrán’s impact was impossible for the Nerd Cave—which Sig’s analytics group had nicknamed itself—to quantify, but the young shortstop Carlos Correa attempted to attach a number to it: seven. Of the 24 home runs he hit in 2017, by the end of the regular season Correa attributed precisely seven to Beltrán’s influence, to his showing him how to use video to break down opposing pitchers to a depth he had never before imagined, to his identifying their tells. Beltrán aided the Astros’ pitchers, as well. In ’16, the season after Dallas Keuchel broke out to win the Cy Young Award, his performance had disintegrated along with his team’s. His ERA went from 2.48 to 4.55. The first time Beltrán met Keuchel, in spring training, he gently suggested one reason why that had happened.
“Sometimes you held your hand above your glove last year before a pitch,” Beltrán told Keuchel. “If the ball showed, it was a fastball. If it didn’t, it was an off-speed pitch.”

“I appreciate you telling me that,” Keuchel said. Keuchel threw seven shutout innings against the Mariners on Opening Day. By the end of July his ERA remained below 2.00. Had Beltrán, in reality, accounted for just a fraction of the 40% boost in production that Correa attributed to him—not just for Correa, but for all the Astros he mentored, even the pitchers—then he would have been worth far more than that $16 million the club paid him. After 19 years in the big leagues, Beltrán knew that he might help Houston win in other ways too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:21 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

And if he makes the HoF he'll likely go as a Met

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:25 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

That didn't take long,

Mets official announcement on twitter. First reply says something about choking in his biggest moments. This is going to get tired fast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 pm 
Veteran Presence

I have to say: I absolutely loathe this hire. I don't dislike Beltran, I rooted for him when I still had interest in watching baseball. But we had the opportunity to sign one of two of the best managers available, and went with a rookie...again. Unless he proves to be prodigy, we'll be having this conversation again in two years. The only saving grace is that we have a decent lineup...even so, we're still stuck with GM Joe for the foreseeable future ready to make even worse trades than those he made last year. Truth told, though, I expected it the first moment his name was mentioned as a candidate.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 pm 
NYFS Staff

OK. Cool. So when do we get Gerrit Cole?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 am 
General Manager

LOL I completely forgot they were introducing Beltran today. What genius in the Mets' PR department actually thought a presser on a football Monday (with the Giants playing and the Jets coming off a bottom three loss in franchise history) was a good idea?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
LOL I completely forgot they were introducing Beltran today. What genius in the Mets' PR department actually thought a presser on a football Monday (with the Giants playing and the Jets coming off a bottom three loss in franchise history) was a good idea?

It really shouldn't be a problem since football season around here ended a month ago......

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jpkmets wrote:
Love it!

Great hire. He’s gonna be a fabulous manager. Super stoked!

Great job, Mets.

Absolutely! This is such good mojo! Let’s put the band back together! Let’s get Julio Franco and Endy Chavez on the staff!

2015 - Return to Glory!

SFC 2015 Mets Record: 10-7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm 
Franchise Player

SuperFanChuck wrote:
jpkmets wrote:
Love it!

Great hire. He’s gonna be a fabulous manager. Super stoked!

Great job, Mets.

Absolutely! This is such good mojo! Let’s put the band back together! Let’s get Julio Franco and Endy Chavez on the staff!

In all seriousness, Franco would probably be pretty qualified to be a hitting coach, and Chavez could be a potential outfield instructor / 1st or 3rd base coach.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rich Coutinho just asked a question that was longer than Beltran’s prepared remarks and I think it ended with him answering his own question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm 
NYFS Staff

Coutinho gets second question at the Beltran presser. Amazin'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next