NYFS ny mets message boards
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/

Official: Beltran new Met manager
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46242
Page 1 of 7

Author:  AllWrightNow [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Official: Beltran new Met manager

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/statu ... 3102034945

Also likely but not comfirmed that Terry Collins is the bench coach.

Author:  Metsfan980 [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Metsmerized is reporting that Collins will be the bench coach.

Has that ever happened? The bench coach once managed the manager?

Author:  Ralf [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

This feels so much like a Wilpon led hire. Its exactly how they operate in the free agent market. There is a clear free agent that is the best fit but they ignore him because of money and go get the next tier guy that has name recognition for the casual fan to feel good about.

The Terry Collins bench coach touch is a Fred Wilpon masterclass.

Author:  AllWrightNow [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Apparently Beltran did legitimately want Collins as a bench coach. If Terry's comfortable with it vaya con dios, Beltran was gonna have to get an experienced baseball man as bench coach anyway.

Inherent skepticism of the move aside, Beltran checks all the boxes except for experience. Which isn't insignificant but more and more a lot of teams are going with inexperienced managers anyway.

Author:  Ralf [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Guarantee Brodie resigns after next season. He had no idea what he was getting into.

Author:  MrBreeze [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Best comment I've read about Terry on the bench:

"Now Phil Regan will have someone to play canasta with on road trips"

Author:  jpkmets [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Love it!

Great hire. He’s gonna be a fabulous manager. Super stoked!

Great job, Mets.

Author:  HeyNowHK [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

AllWrightNow wrote:
Apparently Beltran did legitimately want Collins as a bench coach. If Terry's comfortable with it vaya con dios, Beltran was gonna have to get an experienced baseball man as bench coach anyway.

Inherent skepticism of the move aside, Beltran checks all the boxes except for experience. Which isn't insignificant but more and more a lot of teams are going with inexperienced managers anyway.

Wait, what boxes does he check? Former player and bi-lingual??

Meanwhile he’s got zero coaching credentials, it’s unclear if he was any sort of leader as a player, has a disgruntled history with the team, has been known to be surly with the media in the past, and oh yeah we have no idea if he can run a baseball game in real time.

Aside from that, he’s great.

Author:  TomInNC [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

But don’t most “inexperienced” managers have some minor league time, or at least major league coaching.

Author:  AllWrightNow [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
Apparently Beltran did legitimately want Collins as a bench coach. If Terry's comfortable with it vaya con dios, Beltran was gonna have to get an experienced baseball man as bench coach anyway.

Inherent skepticism of the move aside, Beltran checks all the boxes except for experience. Which isn't insignificant but more and more a lot of teams are going with inexperienced managers anyway.

Wait, what boxes does he check? Former player and bi-lingual??

Meanwhile he’s got zero coaching credentials, it’s unclear if he was any sort of leader as a player, has a disgruntled history with the team, has been known to be surly with the media in the past, and oh yeah we have no idea if he can run a baseball game in real time.

Aside from that, he’s great.


Players respect him...yeah the media thing is a concern in NY but Beltran's issue wasn't that he was surly as much as he was reserved and not very outgoing. Plus he - more than almost anyone else - knows the media in NY and only wanted a job in NY, he can't have been that anti-media now. The Astros definitely thought of him as a leader when they won the World Series and he was a big part of that players' only meeting in Yankee Stadium after Game 5.

And what team does he have a disgruntled history with, Fred and Jeff? Couldn't have been that bad since they rubber-stamped him coming back. The fans? Fine but some of us actually did respect him as a player and I'd rather if we're going to hire a former player not hire someone universally loved by the fanbase anyway. Players? Literally nobody else he played with or under is around other than Terry who supposedly he did want.

TomInNC wrote:
But don’t most “inexperienced” managers have some minor league time, or at least major league coaching.


Yes, though I don't think that was an issue with Aaron Boone or David Ross when they got hired. They aren't the only ones but they're the main ones on good teams. More and more the inexperience card is getting overstated since a ton of teams are going with the number-cruncher or media-savvy guy who doesn't ride the buses for years.

Author:  HeyNowHK [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they move on from their last manager because he was essentially ill-prepared for the job as a first time skipper at any level and it was 2 years of constant mistakes and poor judgment..? Doesn’t mean they have to hire someone who’s managed 20 years in the majors but maybe a little minor league experience?? Yeesh, it’s as if the past 2 years of dugout bumbling never happened.

Author:  Metsfan980 [ Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Official: Beltran new Met manager

It's also entirely possible that a player like Beltran developed a lot of relevant experience at the end of his career as a clubhouse leader and somebody that managers may have discussed strategy with.

Page 1 of 7 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/