MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fangraphs Mets ZIPS are in and...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:29 pm 
Rookie

It's...positive!
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-zips-p ... york-mets/

Most interesting is that they think Peterson could be as good as Porcello or Wacha. Say what you want about the signings but we actually have starting pitching depth for a change.

Post subject: Re: Fangraphs Mets ZIPS are in and...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

They're still going to play next year, right?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:41 pm 
Franchise Player

Cano #-o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:44 pm 
Franchise Player

deGrom's number 1 comp is Maddux.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I 100% agree with the Diaz rebound position.

I also 100% believe that is not the answer to the bullpen woes. If everybody recalls, the OG bullpen complaint was when it was terrible around Diaz and we refused to use Diaz MORE.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm 
Franchise Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
deGrom's number 1 comp is Maddux.

Very interesting.

I remember Maddux in his prime. Was early Maddux able to pop 99? The game has evolved so much. I wonder if Maddux junkballing changes a foot off the plate would be called today. Or the bend around the plate 2 seamers? I think he’d be Mike Leake style batting practice in today’s game. Yeah I said it. Maddux would get lit up.

Today’s Maddux throws easy 97 on the real black of the plate at the knees. It’s not 91 with movement. 91 is when Jake is spinning a slider.

Ottavino was right. He would wake up prime babe Ruth and K him. Three pitches. Ty Cobb would hit .120 in A ball as a 26 year old and then be banned from playing because he was such a jerk and just not worth the headache. His twitter would have been Josh Hader times 1 million. Jeff McNeill would have hit .800 in 1920. Ruben Tejada would be known as the greatest shortstop to ever play.

I don’t know where I’m going. Just cool to think we have today’s Maddux and he is doing things better than yesterday’s Maddux but won’t be nearly the pitcher of tomorrow’s Maddux. Can’t wait for 120 mph ambidextrous from dudes with cyborg arms pitching to genetically modified, fully armored HGH enhanced super soldiers implanted with pitch identifying technology in their dominant eye. The biggest scandal being the Astros manipulating space time from center field with black hole technology and then banging on a trash can twice and then defending themselves by saying, “We here at the Astros believe in proper placement of trash receptacles and will continue to provide the players such amenities,” and everyone will be like ok, you know I agree trash cans are important, and I’ll be like, Dude but what about the warping of time??! Does no one care about that?! But, it’s almosf playoffs and 40 out of the 60 teams make it and the National League is dead, but the Major League (TM) is alive, and so are the Mets, sitting in 43rd, 3 games back but making a run. I mean, our guys are HOT! Everything is clicking. And don’t look now but Steve Cohen’s suspended animation lowered ticket prices and mobile experience packages (popular with the youths— but how do we really get them to love this game!!— the old heads worry while the kids just cheer) and I swear, you can almost feel ole Citi Field shake with belief, just like Shea used to, long ago. Can’t wait.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

ok then

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:05 am 
Franchise Player

TomInNC wrote:
ok then

Glad you asked. Ok, then...the Mets run will fall short. They’ll end up in 48th place, not quite in line for a lottery pick, but they battled. But, down in the DR summer league, Phil Regan will be working with some of the back end guys on the 41 man roster (big win for MLB Players Union) so improvement from them will be boosted by the beat guys, and bear no fruit when half are in Korean ball the following year. The only minor league team, The Syracuse Neutral Mascots will sign mostly retread vets with contracts that stipulate they have to pay their own salary to play. Brodie van Wagonen will be part of that year’s induction into the Agent hall of fame. “Visionary” he will be called. The Mets will sign one reliever on a “bounce back” kind of contract coming off an injury and will entertain moving their best player, a bonafide homegrown talent off his natural position for a less talented player from a different organization who makes more money that they will acquire for future draft and prospect rights capital. Baseball America’s top 10 will include a bunch of guys who were too young for the league but hit .250 and have 50 grade tools in hands and arm and the rest RHP with projection who’s ETA is 4 years after everyone on the current team retires. The Braves will sign 3 good players to fill immediate and clear needs while supplementing an already impressive core of young players locked into reasonable contracts who all grew up in Jeff Franceor’s hometown and absolutely crush the baseball when playing the Mets and are undefeated at Turner Field. The Phillies will sign someone to a 16 year 2 Billion dollar contract and that player will produce somewhat above average production and sink any chance to improve their standings. As much as the game changes, it kinda stays the same.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

OK, back to the Zips projections

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:41 pm 
Veteran Presence

MikeH...

Not that you need my validation or anything, but just as a timely FYI, I figured I’ll take a second too say I always like reading your posts. It’s a nice breath of fresh air, an escape of sorts, from the sterile posts lacking humanity and full on statistics and numbers.

Keep doing you, dude!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:17 pm 
Franchise Player

Juiceeee!

Thank you! I mean it. I love this place and everyone on it! I can’t offer it reasoned takes or bang up statistical analysis or hot breaking news or the awesome blurbs I read about prospects or all the other amazing contributions made here daily by such great posters, but I’ll be here doing my thing too and I really mean it when I say I love this place!

Sorry, mods. :)

But yeah. Fangraphs Zips. Looks, pretty uhhh, prettty good.

And I do think it’s very interesting Zips projects Peterson to be as competent as maybe Wacha or Porcello. Hulking lefty with a heavy ball and maybe more practiced in getting strikeouts? Maybe there’s a solid back end guy in there and maybe even this year? Something I would probably not have thought going into the season had I not seen this but an interesting and not wholly unreasonable thought.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't remember the last time Fangraphs liked the mets. Maybe in 1986. I'd call them anti mets but the mets have actually underperformed their fangraph projections most years so . . . maybe they know their stuff.