Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: 2021 Roster

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 pm

tejdog1 wrote:Cano has a NTC he's not going anywhere.


That doesn't mean there's not places he wouldn't want to go.

Like can we steal DJ from the Yankees and then pawn Cano off on them? 8)

Re: 2021 Roster

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.

Re: 2021 Roster

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm

TomInNC wrote:He had a higher Slg than Davis or McNeil. He his .280

He's not a one trick pony, though his main trick, getting on base is very good and repeatable.

He's also been forced to play out of position much of his career. Leave him alone in LF, let him get on base ahead of the sluggers.


I would trade Davis long before Nimmo. And I am not necessarily saying to trade Davis either.

Nimmo in LF is more than adequate if there is a DH. We also have no depth there and the last thing we want to do is put money toward a corner outfielder.

I think Davis' has become somewhat problematic since he really doesn't have a position to play well. For all of the press that he was settling in at third, he wasn't. Dom made more progress in LF than Davis at 3rd. But as a flexible bench bat he is a great asset.

Re: 2021 Roster

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Yes, I'd rather Davis "have" to play a couple times a week than say Todd Frazier

Re: 2021 Roster

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:26 pm

jdawginsc wrote:Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.



.... is Amed Rosario good? Like, I get the Gimenez thing when you consider the years, but Rosario is entering ARB, still doesn't walk and has often struggled at short?

Re: 2021 Roster

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 am

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.



.... is Amed Rosario good? Like, I get the Gimenez thing when you consider the years, but Rosario is entering ARB, still doesn't walk and has often struggled at short?


I actually have Rosario as a chip, with Gimenez, Guillorme (a sleeper) and Mauricio a few years away. That's the depth. And that doesn't include Palmer who I think is going to be an exciting prospect soon.

Re: 2021 Roster

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 am

HeyNowHK wrote:
TomInNC wrote:Nimmo is a much better player than Davis. I don't think you're selling high on Nimmo this year, this is at least what he is when healthy. The eye won't go away so he's protected against slumps. I'm less sure what Davis is, but Davis on the bench replaces Frazier.

at least...? Nimmo hit this year about what he hit in 2018. Now that’s his floor?

People have been all over the map on Nimmo from quadA to 4th OFer to all-star. But 387 wOBA is the least a healthy Nimmo will hit? Even I’m not ready to go that far on him... and I’ve been a believer all along. I still believe but think at 2 years from FA, his value is prob at its peak and they’re so loaded with LHed bats. Better to deal him coming off a strong year than otherwise. Yeah sometimes you have to give to get.


You say you’re a believer but keep trying to trade him. He’s had a 148 wRC+ two of the past three years (and the year he didn’t he had a herniated disk in his neck).

People say he’s a one trick pony but he had one less home run than Conforto this year (in a year everyone said was Scooter’s career year).

Nimmo is the last player the Mets should be trading. Is he a good defender in CF? No; but put him in left and watch him rack up .400 OBPs with good LF defense and worry about other things.

Re: 2021 Roster

Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 am

richiel1 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
TomInNC wrote:Nimmo is a much better player than Davis. I don't think you're selling high on Nimmo this year, this is at least what he is when healthy. The eye won't go away so he's protected against slumps. I'm less sure what Davis is, but Davis on the bench replaces Frazier.

at least...? Nimmo hit this year about what he hit in 2018. Now that’s his floor?

People have been all over the map on Nimmo from quadA to 4th OFer to all-star. But 387 wOBA is the least a healthy Nimmo will hit? Even I’m not ready to go that far on him... and I’ve been a believer all along. I still believe but think at 2 years from FA, his value is prob at its peak and they’re so loaded with LHed bats. Better to deal him coming off a strong year than otherwise. Yeah sometimes you have to give to get.


You say you’re a believer but keep trying to trade him.

And..?

Again, no one has to tell me what Nimmo is. Go back to 2013 and look at what people were saying then. I’m prob the only one firmly supporting Nimmo continuously since then. Regardless of supporting him or not, I recognize that the roster has 2 or 3 players whose logical position is LF and so they may as well cash in the surplus while the value is there. I was all about putting McNeil at 3B this yr but he appeared not up to the task. If they don’t move Nimmo, then I would try McNeil again at 3B... he’s obviously not going to play 2B. But if you want a better defensive solution at 3B, then where else is Jeff going to play?? And if they are going to move on from Nimmo playing CF, then you have a logjam in LF.

Re: 2021 Roster

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 am

we should be trying to take talent from all four of these teams' scouting/development departments.

Re: 2021 Roster

Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:58 am

The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

Re: 2021 Roster

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Disco Ball wrote:The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

Cano’s no elephant in the room; he’s the 2Bman.

DJLM and Brandon Lowe..... the two 2Bmen better than Cano this season. That’s it. 896 OPS, 376 wOBA... best numbers since 2013. Why are they trying to move that...? And they’re going to pay most of his salary to do it... and to net a couple of career minor leaguers...?? Where does this Cano hatred come from?

Re: 2021 Roster

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

Cano’s no elephant in the room; he’s the 2Bman.

DJLM and Brandon Lowe..... the two 2Bmen better than Cano this season. That’s it. 896 OPS, 376 wOBA... best numbers since 2013. Why are they trying to move that...? And they’re going to pay most of his salary to do it... and to net a couple of career minor leaguers...?? Where does this Cano hatred come from?


Cano is old and put up good numbers playing half his time at DH in a shortened season.

That hardly seems like a reason to play him over good players 10 years younger than him.
Post a reply