All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Extend of Let Walk: Baez
Extend 74%  74%  [ 23 ]
Let Walk 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: Baez's Met Future
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ah the controversial one that I forsee many arguments among the NYFS community :)

My gut feeling is to let him go, but he is extremely intriguing.

The good: Defense, baserunning, baseball instincts, power, Lindor's buddy

The bad: Low OBP, Oh the strikeouts, Lindor's buddy

He seems to be showing a bit more plate discipline lately (?) But who knows. I mean his numbers since coming over here compare very favorably to Cespedes when he came over and almost at the same age.

I think the Mets are going to resign him regardless

Post subject: Re: Baez's Met Future
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The strikeouts/OBP stink but the power, speed, defense and baserunning are top notch and he is fun to watch.

A big signing that won’t cost us a draft pick. Sign him!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm 
Manager

I'd extend provided the price is reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm 
Rookie

Only if the contract favors this organization more than it favors Baez .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:12 pm 
General Manager

Steve The Original wrote:
Ah the controversial one that I forsee many arguments among the NYFS community :)

My gut feeling is to let him go, but he is extremely intriguing.

The good: Defense, baserunning, baseball instincts, power, Lindor's buddy

The bad: Low OBP, Oh the strikeouts, Lindor's buddy

He seems to be showing a bit more plate discipline lately (?) But who knows. I mean his numbers since coming over here compare very favorably to Cespedes when he came over and almost at the same age.

I think the Mets are going to resign him regardless

He’s really been hitting like Cespedes did when he came to the Mets.

The power and base running savvy have done it for me. I’m all on, question is…what would a Baez contract look like? 6/150?
I say sign him, age and then locking up the middle with elite defense is fine with me.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm 
General Manager

What he said was NOT smart

But when it comes to baseball, he is a heady, smart ballplayer and he has power and speed and can plays great defense in multiple positions

i'd offer 4 year / 100 million deal .. go as high as 5 years / 120 million depending on how the market is moving

If he turns down good offers .. i'd move on to Bryant and Simien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Big game player. Bring him back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:
Big game player. Bring him back.

He's playing himself into a contract extension....and that might not be the worst thing. One of the few Mets who is consistently bringing it down the stretch. What he said was silly but he does seem to enjoy the spotlight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:25 am 
Rookie

Pass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

He’s already at 1.8 WAR in just 33 games with the Mets. That’s a pace of over 8.5 WAR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

We are currently seeing Baez do things he hasn't done before. Beware of buying into that as a new normal.

Seeing him day to day now does make me reevaluate the initial impressions of a reckless player who occassionally pops a HR. He's certainly an exciting player. I do remain very worried that a team that has struggled really all over the map offensively but most notably in areas like manufacturing runs - setting historical futility records for things like sac fly rates, bases loaded situations, etc. - relying on Baez as your "big offseason acquisition" feels very flawed. How many additional offensive upgrades do we think the Mets look at if they resign Baez? Thats going to be the issue. 3B, LF, RF all need major improvements. Catcher is sunk at this point until Alvarez.

Funny enough, I was thinking the last few nights that the Mets will likely resign him and justify him - like Lindor - as even if they struggle offensively, they are valuable because of defense, positional value, etc. Mets likely could've had Arenado and Baez for the cost of Lindor, with that same "but the defense can carry them even if they don't hit as much as we want them to" backstop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
We are currently seeing Baez do things he hasn't done before. Beware of buying into that as a new normal.

Seeing him day to day now does make me reevaluate the initial impressions of a reckless player who occassionally pops a HR. He's certainly an exciting player. I do remain very worried that a team that has struggled really all over the map offensively but most notably in areas like manufacturing runs - setting historical futility records for things like sac fly rates, bases loaded situations, etc. - relying on Baez as your "big offseason acquisition" feels very flawed. How many additional offensive upgrades do we think the Mets look at if they resign Baez? Thats going to be the issue. 3B, LF, RF all need major improvements. Catcher is sunk at this point until Alvarez.

Funny enough, I was thinking the last few nights that the Mets will likely resign him and justify him - like Lindor - as even if they struggle offensively, they are valuable because of defense, positional value, etc. Mets likely could've had Arenado and Baez for the cost of Lindor, with that same "but the defense can carry them even if they don't hit as much as we want them to" backstop.

But even the defense logic is flawed since we know that defense normally declines before the bat does. Baez prob has a couple more good years with the glove before it could decline and then you’re relying on a very flawed bat profile. Sizing up Baez now for a long term contract while he’s sizzling hot is dangerous. He’s obviously playing over his baseline at the moment. That HR/FB rate is completely unsustainable and without the longball, what is he? I’d stay away from a long term deal and I think other teams are going to be very cautious bc of the hideous contact rate. I really don’t think he’s going to have an easy free agency. I hope Cohen doesn’t get played on this one.