MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Too many new threads
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 12818
Too many new threads getting less than 5 responses which are cluttering up the Mets board.

Am I the only one who thinks this every time I log in?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:55 pm
Posts: 10583
Location: and Changing Speeds
It's spring training...definitely still time to work the kinks out before opening day. 8)

I think some of whatchyurtalkinbout Willis is a function of the boards/new threads being used to convey news. I'm working on some redesign elements I hope will mitigate that to a degree. The boards are pretty self-cleansing. Stuff moves fast enough usually that if something doesn't get replied to it falls of the front page pretty quick.

I'd definitely be open to ideas for ways to find middle ground between <5 posts per thread and the Official Sanatan Watch style thread. :lol:

_________________
Become A Fan at ReverbNation: https://www.reverbnation.com/oddesseyband
Like Us On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oddesseyband
Follow Us On Twitter: https://twitter.com/oddesseyband
Follow Us On SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/oddesseyband


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 12818
metswiki wrote:
It's spring training...definitely still time to work the kinks out before opening day. 8)

I think some of whatchyurtalkinbout Willis is a function of the boards/new threads being used to convey news. I'm working on some redesign elements I hope will mitigate that to a degree. The boards are pretty self-cleansing. Stuff moves fast enough usually that if something doesn't get replied to it falls of the front page pretty quick.

I'd definitely be open to ideas for ways to find middle ground between <5 posts per thread and the Official Sanatan Watch style thread. :lol:


Maybe that's just it - nobody wants to talk about anything other than Johan. :lol:

I can understand why.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:10 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 pm
Posts: 4903
Location: Ithaca, NY
I'm in the "there doesn't have to be a new thread for every article in the paper each day" boat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:06 pm
Posts: 21337
Location: No longer ATL
johnnypark wrote:
I'm in the "there doesn't have to be a new thread for every article in the paper each day" boat.


+infinity

We should have a "paper articles" thread if we are going to post every one. Its pretty annoying sifting through stuff I can read if I pick up the Post

_________________
https://twitter.com/MikeFrancesaNY - Follow my fake Mike Francesa twittah scenario


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:53 pm
Posts: 13893
Location: Westchester, NY
I agree as well...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 8006
Location: far outside the wire
I've been a proponent of one thread per topic for awhile, simply put news updates under an existing thread and keep that topic alive as was done with Steven Register. That helps a bunch. At one point Delgado was being discussed in 3 different threads. Being ST and a busy news time sometimes news/posts drive viable threads to the 2nd page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 39131
Location: The District
Okay, I'm personally going to pay more attention to this and do a better job locking/deleting.

The "one-thread-per-topic" thing is good in theory, but it's horrifying to enforce. There is also a sizeable contingent that really, really doesn't like having to click through two dozen pages to find out what they've missed.

It's hard to please everyone, but I do see the problem here and will work to resolve it the best I can.

_________________
“Patience is not a virtue unless you take advantage of it by exercising it well,” Alderson said. “Patience is only part of a strategy.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:59 pm
Posts: 6017
Maybe you could divide the main forum up into sub-forums? Trying to come up with some creative ideas here....

I think the mods do a very good job considering the number of new threads that appear, but definitely put me in the camp of not needing a new thread for each individual paper article telling us about Pedro's car.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:55 pm
Posts: 10583
Location: and Changing Speeds
champstark wrote:
definitely put me in the camp of not needing a new thread for each individual paper article telling us about Pedro's car.


I missed that! What happened to Pedro's car?!?! :lol:

_________________
Become A Fan at ReverbNation: https://www.reverbnation.com/oddesseyband
Like Us On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oddesseyband
Follow Us On Twitter: https://twitter.com/oddesseyband
Follow Us On SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/oddesseyband


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:51 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 12818
metswiki wrote:
champstark wrote:
definitely put me in the camp of not needing a new thread for each individual paper article telling us about Pedro's car.


I missed that! What happened to Pedro's car?!?! :lol:


Got towed for parking in Heilman's spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 pm
Posts: 4903
Location: Ithaca, NY
jv3 wrote:
I've been a proponent of one thread per topic for awhile, simply put news updates under an existing thread and keep that topic alive as was done with Steven Register. That helps a bunch. At one point Delgado was being discussed in 3 different threads. Being ST and a busy news time sometimes news/posts drive viable threads to the 2nd page.


I don't think we have to have one news thread, because then we do run into the problem that it will get way to full of new-news...and people will have to wade through an 8 page thread in order to find something new.

I do think, though, that there could/should be ONE thread per player each day. If Metro starts a "Pedro's Car Is Pimped Out" thread, maybe we could just make sure that all Pedro news goes in THAT thread for the day.

I don't know, I think it could work.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists