MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Thejurisdoc wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

You make a good argument. I'd still probably take him in the 3rd though, but you've talked me out of thinking 2nd round.

There are a lot of good prospects that will be available when the Mets pick in the 2nd round. I think the Mets have to a take a bigger-picture approach with that pick.

You'd have to believe strongly that he's able to pitch the 7th or 8th this season to take him in the third. Basically you are betting that he will get the Mets closer to a championship this year. Maybe the Mets think that way. They certainly do need bullpen help. I just think that another team is going to look at him as a cheap closer option and take a chance earlier than the Mets should feel comfortable doing so.

My personal opinion is that the Mets need to think long-term with this draft. This is probably the last draft for a while in which they will have this many high-level picks. I think they've built a good major league roster that would naturally be picking in the back third of the first round, and when you factor in payroll penalties and signing free agents who were offered a QO, it depresses their expected draft capital even more. They're going to be limited players in the draft in the short-term future. They have a chance to get out in front of those limitations with a good mix of elite picks early and upside play picks later on. To me it just isn't worth it to take a chance on Joyce.

There’s a chance the Mets could add picks with up to 4 players they could QO next winter.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 am 
Franchise Player

In my opinion, picking up those four draft picks would be nothing short of a disaster for the big league club.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

Thejurisdoc wrote:
In my opinion, picking up those four draft picks would be nothing short of a disaster for the big league club.

The reality is that the 4 are likely to hit free agency at this point. Maybe they work out something with 1 or 2 of them (Bassitt?).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am 
All Star

HeyNowHK wrote:
Thejurisdoc wrote:

The reality is that the 4 are likely to hit free agency at this point. Maybe they work out something with 1 or 2 of them (Bassitt?).

Let's see how this year shakes out. The team is built to win now. IMO at least a division championship and/or a first round win is mandatory. Otherwise drop a bomb and start again. 4 extra draft picks would be a good start.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Thejurisdoc wrote:

Let's see how this year shakes out. The team is built to win now. IMO at least a division championship and/or a first round win is mandatory. Otherwise drop a bomb and start again. 4 extra draft picks would be a good start.

Next off-season might be a wild ride, or perhaps a disappointing one, but that's months away. Short term, the draft looks fun, this season looks fun. That's a big step up from what the Wilponzis gave us.

Go Mets!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:08 pm 
Franchise Player

Thejurisdoc wrote:
Brock Jones is on a 10 game hitting streak with thunder.

Last 10 games: 18-for-39, 2 Doubles, 1 Triple, 6 Home Runs, 6 Walks, 2-for-2 stolen bases.

As a reminder, he plays center field and is a very good athlete (former Stanford football walk-on safety) and has a good chance to stick in center.

I'm still hoping he can be had in the 2nd round.

Jones has now hit safely in 16 of his last 18 games and has a .308 / .451 / .626 slash line on the season, which is very close to what he posted last year as a sophomore. He's still the guy I'm hoping the Mets get in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:41 am 
Prospect

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft ... druw-jones
Wouldn't mind this but I would take DeLauter over Susac.

A name I like besides Brock Jones in the second round is Peyton Graham. Fangraphs had him top 10 preseason but nobody else seems to have him in their top 30. 20sb only caught twice, had a slow start to the year ala Jones. Swing and miss concerns but legit power. Played center, ss and third. Super athletic so I think he could play any position.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I read we should keep an eye out on Robby Snelling a HS LHP from Nevada. Might try to get him in R2.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:40 pm 
Prospect

He went #13 in the draft I posted. Just read his scouting report. He is intriguing and seems to have high upside.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:42 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

corydd7 wrote:
He went #13 in the draft I posted. Just read his scouting report. He is intriguing and seems to have high upside.

Seems like they hope he falls because of asking and they grab him in R2 and overpay. Maybe they just take him R1 we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:44 am 
Franchise Player

https://theathletic.com/3317893/2022/05 ... cob-berry/

Keith Law with a stunner in his updated mock draft (posted yesterday) - Jacob Berry going #1 for an underslot deal. The Orioles have a huge bonus pool and lots of draft picks to work with, so there's been speculation that they will do this.

He has the Mets taking Susac #11 and Prielipp #14. He even gets out in front of the Francisco Alvarez question by saying that the Mets need to take BPA, even if it's another catcher.

As for Prielipp at #14, he's someone I've been thinking the Mets might focus on. Was a potential 1-1 candidate before his injury and will throw for scouts on Monday. He could be a high-risk bet who is willing to cut an underslot deal, which would let the Mets do some things later on in the draft.

As for me I am still hoping Collier falls to #11. I could get behind an underslot deal for Prielipp at #11, but at slot there are others I would personally prefer.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:07 am 
Legend of NYFS

Thejurisdoc wrote:
https://theathletic.com/3317893/2022/05/19/mlb-mock-draft-jacob-berry/

Keith Law with a stunner in his updated mock draft (posted yesterday) - Jacob Berry going #1 for an underslot deal. The Orioles have a huge bonus pool and lots of draft picks to work with, so there's been speculation that they will do this.

He has the Mets taking Susac #11 and Prielipp #14. He even gets out in front of the Francisco Alvarez question by saying that the Mets need to take BPA, even if it's another catcher.

As for Prielipp at #14, he's someone I've been thinking the Mets might focus on. Was a potential 1-1 candidate before his injury and will throw for scouts on Monday. He could be a high-risk bet who is willing to cut an underslot deal, which would let the Mets do some things later on in the draft.

As for me I am still hoping Collier falls to #11. I could get behind an underslot deal for Prielipp at #11, but at slot there are others I would personally prefer.

I can definitely see the Mets taking those two. You can never have enough catching talent in the pipeline and Susac seems pretty advanced. It will be a welcome shift after not having any catching in the organization for so long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next