MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Major league Rule 4 governs which players are eligible for the draft. These rules are detailed, but the basic criteria are as follows:

A player is eligible for selection if he is a resident of the United States or Canada and has never signed a major league or minor league contract. (Contracts with independent professional leagues don't count.)

Residents of Puerto Rico and other territories of the United States are also eligible for the draft. Also considered are players who enroll in a high school or college in the United States, regardless of where they are from originally.

The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

• College players (from four-year colleges) who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old. College players who have dropped out of school can apply for the draft by writing the commissioner's office no later than March 20;

• Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed;

• Anyone who is 21 within 45 days of the draft date.
A player who is drafted and does not sign with the club that selected him may be drafted again in a future draft, whenever he meets the eligibility requirements. A club may not select a player again in a subsequent year unless the player consents to it in writing.

A player who is eligible for the draft and is passed over by every club becomes a free agent and may sign with any club, until one week before the next draft or until the player enters or returns to a four-year college, or returns to a junior college.
A player who is a fifth-year college senior may sign a minor league contract as soon as he finishes his last class in college.

Link

8)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:31 pm 
All Star

I take it from that mock draft list the Mets don't have a first-round pick? I'll probably tape tomorrow's coverage for the hell of it even though I don't have a clue in heck who any of these players are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:56 pm 
Veteran Presence

In Omar i trust.... he has gotten gems already and is a great talent evaluator....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:00 pm 
NYFS Staff

underdog wrote:
Hojo4Life wrote:
I wish mlb.com would get their draft tracker up and running. I always liked looking at the video on the draftees prior to the draft.

The draft tracker is up and running.

Looks to me as if all DOBs are off by 3 years for some reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 pm 
NYFS Staff

sluger11787 wrote:
underdog wrote:
Hojo4Life wrote:
I wish mlb.com would get their draft tracker up and running. I always liked looking at the video on the draftees prior to the draft.

The draft tracker is up and running.

Looks to me as if all DOBs are off by 3 years for some reason...

Different time zone.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 am 
Everyday Player

MetsFan45 wrote:
I take it from that mock draft list the Mets don't have a first-round pick? I'll probably tape tomorrow's coverage for the hell of it even though I don't have a clue in heck who any of these players are.

They're actually supposed to show "several supplementary picks."

Now on this mock draft, I actually like it a lot. The first two guys are hard-throwing pitchers with high potential.