MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mets Zero In On Talent In The 2007 Draft
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

An Article A Chimp Could Have Written...

8)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Quote:
Rising fast: Left-handed-hitting first baseman Mike Carp, 21 later this month, made a quite positive impression on the Mets in Spring Training this year. Selected in the ninth round of the 2004 Draft, he hit 40 home runs in his first 995 professional at-bats. A dislocated index finger on his right hand has limited him to 75 at-bats with the Binghamton Mets this season.

Agreed. To even quote Carp as rising when we last saw him play regularly in April is odd

Post subject: Re: Mets Zero In On Talent In The 2007 Draft
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

That was insightful.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:58 pm 
Everyday Player

Catcher armed with cachet

But Matt Szczur, a 6-foot, 195-pound senior catcher from Lower Cape May High School, has managed to find the spotlight.

Despite being pitched around during his team's 9-11 season, Szczur set a South Jersey record by batting .681 on 32 hits in 47 at-bats.

The old record was .676, set by Gloucester Catholic's John Yowler in 1980.

Szczur drew 30 walks, had a staggering .805 on-base percentage, and struck out just once in 78 plate appearances.

Now he may have a decision to make: Play football and baseball at Villanova or opt to play professional baseball.

Szczur, 17, has a football/baseball scholarship to Villanova, but he is getting increased interest from major-league baseball scouts. The draft is Thursday, and the Angels, Brewers, Dodgers, Indians and Mets have been on Szczur's trail. He hit a mammoth home run at Shea Stadium in a workout for the Mets.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/h ... 19737.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:35 pm 
Draft Pick

PeggyWilpon wrote:
Catcher armed with cachet

But Matt Szczur, a 6-foot, 195-pound senior catcher from Lower Cape May High School, has managed to find the spotlight.

Despite being pitched around during his team's 9-11 season, Szczur set a South Jersey record by batting .681 on 32 hits in 47 at-bats.

The old record was .676, set by Gloucester Catholic's John Yowler in 1980.

Szczur drew 30 walks, had a staggering .805 on-base percentage, and struck out just once in 78 plate appearances.

Now he may have a decision to make: Play football and baseball at Villanova or opt to play professional baseball.

Szczur, 17, has a football/baseball scholarship to Villanova, but he is getting increased interest from major-league baseball scouts. The draft is Thursday, and the Angels, Brewers, Dodgers, Indians and Mets have been on Szczur's trail. He hit a mammoth home run at Shea Stadium in a workout for the Mets.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/h ... 19737.html

I really hope this kid doesn't get drafted. My Villanova baseball and football teams need all the help they can get so I hope Szczur becomes a member of the class of 2011. However, if he does go pro, I should only hope that my other favorite team(the mets) should get him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Szczur supposedly put on quite a show at Shea blasting homer after homer the other day according to someone who was there.

Athlete
Cape May (NJ) Lower Cape May

Ht: 5-foot-11 (Events)
Wt: 184 lbs
Forty: 4.31 secs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Bench reps: 22
Squat max: 450 pounds
Vertical: 30 inches
Shuttle: 4.12 secs
Class: 2007 (High School)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 pm 
Draft Pick

Metro2007 wrote:
Szczur supposedly put on quite a show at Shea blasting homer after homer the other day according to someone who was there.

Athlete
Cape May (NJ) Lower Cape May

Ht: 5-foot-11 (Events)
Wt: 184 lbs
Forty: 4.31 secs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Bench reps: 22
Squat max: 450 pounds
Vertical: 30 inches
Shuttle: 4.12 secs
Class: 2007 (High School)

Does anyone know if he is willing to be a two sport athlete and play pro baseball and college football. That would make my day, because the mets will get a talented kid and my wildcats will get a good football player

Post subject: Re: Mets Zero In On Talent In The 2007 Draft
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 pm 
Everyday Player

R Nitelight wrote:

Not could .... did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:10 am 
Veteran Presence

wow....4.31 40 that's some REAL impressive speed. faster than Ginn, Revis and Calvin JOhnson ran at the combine i believe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:00 am 
Draft Pick

Saczur sounds like an interesting prospect but there is no way I am buying the 4.31 40. Like someone said he would be faster than pretty much every guy drafted in the last NFL draft. He might have some good speed to go with what appears to be great hitting ability but I am doubting the listed speed.